The good old days

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
31-12-2015, 01:16 PM
RE: The good old days
How about the fact that fewer people have actual phone conversations? And when they do, you don't have to laboriously dial a rotary phone and stretch the cord as far as you can to get a modicum of privacy.

I don't actually miss either one of those. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Well, the good new days are the web, cell phones, online shopping, women's rights, gay rights, racial equality has come a long way but has a long way to go yet, better beer, better cheese, better coffee.

The good old days were the morning deliveries I described, the ability of children to roam freely, my 68 Cadillac (loved that car), and travel was much more pleasurable before 9/11 and before they kept squeezing more and more seats into airplanes.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
31-12-2015, 02:09 PM
(31-12-2015 01:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  How about the fact that fewer people have actual phone conversations? And when they do, you don't have to laboriously dial a rotary phone and stretch the cord as far as you can to get a modicum of privacy.

I don't actually miss either one of those. Big Grin

Then again, I didn't hear phone conversations everywhere I went either or have to deal with so many people walking and driving while paying more attention to the phone than where they are going. You used to be able to spot the crazy ones who were walking down the street talking to themselves. Now it is the ones that aren't that are suspect.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
31-12-2015, 02:10 PM
(31-12-2015 11:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  In the old days we were so poor, we didn't even have daylight. We only had moonlight, and we were THANKFUL to have that moonlight........

[/inverse bragging]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
31-12-2015, 02:13 PM
(31-12-2015 02:10 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 11:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  In the old days we were so poor, we didn't even have daylight. We only had moonlight, and we were THANKFUL to have that moonlight........

[/inverse bragging]

Sweet! Heart Thank you! Shy

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
31-12-2015, 04:01 PM
(31-12-2015 08:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  So mostly the good old days were no better than the good new days.

But there are some things I wish had not disappeared.

I used to get up, flip on the coffee machine, open the front door and pick up a fresh bottle of milk, a bag of fresh, still warm rolls and the newspaper from the door step.

Then I would settle in for coffee and breakfast and read the paper....

I miss that. It was a leisurely, convenient and interesting way to start the day.

Milk
http://www.oberweis.com/web/homedelivery.asp

Bread
http://www.klostermanbakery.com/service/

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
31-12-2015, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2015 09:25 PM by Full Circle.)
I’m going to pick on one single product...the good old days before cell phones.

No cell phones meant that no one gave you the 3rd degree when you didn’t answer the phone, they deduced you were out of the house, probably doing something fun outdoors.

No cell phones meant you didn’t have to tell the kid sitting in the row in front of you while at the movies to turn off his phone so you could watch the film without distracting lights.

No cell phones meant not getting a text in the middle of the night from your carrier to let you know you have used nearly all your data for the month.

No cell phones meant you didn’t have to worry about the driver in the lane next to yours swerving into you because they are eating shit texting at 70mph.

No cell phones meant that you could have eye to eye conversations without having the other person/s constantly checking their phone or worse taking a call while you are in the middle of a sentence.

No cell phones meant freedom from being communicationally tethered to the rest of the world.

I know there are many good things about having a smart phone, I use mine all the time but this is a remeniscence thread so there. Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
31-12-2015, 04:48 PM
The flip side -- no cell phone meant that after I hit the deer and rode my bike to a stop -- I sat there for hours with a broken leg -- and nobody would stop.......

These days I'd have been in the hospital in 20 minutes...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
31-12-2015, 05:00 PM
(31-12-2015 09:38 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I miss letters. There's something about rifling through old papers and recognizing the handwriting of someone long gone. I still have the recipe my grandmother wrote out for her famous corn chowder (minus the ingredient of corn, just a minor oversight!) and seeing her handwriting brings back good memories. I can't imagine being a historian in a few decades and reading nothing but emails and texts. How cold and impersonal - all nuances gone.

I do too! I used to send and receive a lot of letters.

I still send Christmas cards. Not that many years ago it wasn't unusual for me to send 60 out. Many of those cards contained handwritten letters specific to the recipient as I am not a fan of 'The Christmas Letter' that is sent out to everyone...I have an aunt who used to do that and she usually talked about a side of the family I wasn't all that familiar with.

This year I sent out twenty cards...I think we got maybe six or seven. Undecided

What's also missing is the actual photograph you can hold in your hand. A real thing you can frame, hang on the fridge, or put on your bulletin board at work...they are almost all digital now.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
31-12-2015, 05:03 PM
No cell phones meant if I had an emergency on the road I had to risk a creeper stopping to help.

Or if I fell off my horse on the trail and injured myself, I wouldn't be missed for at least an hour after dark.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]