The good old days

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
31-12-2015, 05:08 PM
RE: The good old days
(31-12-2015 10:52 AM)BnW Wrote:  It's not just the nuances in writing. It's the entire landscape. I just returned back from a trip to North Carolina and it always strikes me how every part of the US now looks EXACTLY like every other part of the US. There are no regional views, no local charms. Just the same chain stores in strip malls alongside every road. You get almost the exact same view no matter where you go in the country these days. I really hate it.

Some years ago I worked for a company that sent me to California once a year for a training seminar. The first couple years we were in this awesome hotel right on the PCH just a short walk to Surf City. It was so cool.

Some of the other attendees complained that we were too far from malls. Facepalm Hell, I can see the same stores in the malls in any other city...let me walk around site specific shops and get a feel for the area any day! The next year we were in a crap hotel near an airport and the only stores close to us were a Subway and a Staples.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2015, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2015 10:19 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
I can't really think of anything. Consider

Not having the PATRIOT Act was nice, I suppose.

31-12-2015, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2015 09:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(31-12-2015 04:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m going to pick on one single product...the good old days before cell phones.

No cell phones meant that no one gave you the 3rd degree when you didn’t answer the phone, they deducted you were out of the house, probably doing something fun outdoors.

No cell phones meant you didn’t have to tell the kid sitting in the row in front of you while at the movies to turn off his phone so you could watch the film without distracting lights.

No cell phones meant not getting a text in the middle of the night from your carrier to let you know you have used nearly all your data for the month.

No cell phones meant you didn’t have to worry about the driver in the lane next to yours swerving into you because they are eating shit texting at 70mph.

No cell phones meant that you could have eye to eye conversations without having the other person/s constantly checking their phone or worse taking a call while you are in the middle of a sentence.

No cell phones meant freedom from being communicationally tethered to the rest of the world.

I know there are many good things about having a smart phone, I use mine all the time but this is a remeniscence thread so there. Tongue

I have never carried a cellphone and never will even when my employer tried to force one on me. First and foremost, I am at no one's fucking beck and call. Second, I'm not gonna carry around a GPS locator in my ass so The Man can know where I am at any time (if you think that turning off location services or turning off the phone has any effect on The Man's surveillance ability you are wrong, you gotta take the battery out. iPhone users are just shit outta luck.). Third, text messages are sent entirely unencrypted. And not only that they can be intercepted and edited to say whatever the interceptor wants (I've personally seen this in our lab). Finally, I don't even like talking to my own family, why would I want to talk to you? ... Oh, almost forgot. My fingers are too fat to use those little tiny keyboards.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-12-2015, 05:48 PM
I never lived in a house where we had milk and bread delivered, and I don't like milk, but I do like a leisurely start to the day.

The main thing I miss about the "old days" is more bookstores and more music stores, and of course the feeling of being young and thinking I had all the time in the world to do whatever with my life.
31-12-2015, 06:13 PM
(31-12-2015 04:01 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 08:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  So mostly the good old days were no better than the good new days.

But there are some things I wish had not disappeared.

I used to get up, flip on the coffee machine, open the front door and pick up a fresh bottle of milk, a bag of fresh, still warm rolls and the newspaper from the door step.

Then I would settle in for coffee and breakfast and read the paper....

I miss that. It was a leisurely, convenient and interesting way to start the day.

Milk
http://www.oberweis.com/web/homedelivery.asp

Bread
http://www.klostermanbakery.com/service/

Thanks for the links Smile Oberweis isn't in my state, Klosterman ships frozen, and I don't live near any dairies or bakeries, the closest are an hour drive away and don't deliver. I am afraid the scent of fresh baked rolls waiting for me when I get up is a thing of the past.

But, if I were still looking for business ideas, and I lived in a metropolitan area, I would see about starting a morning delivery service. Try the wealthy part of the city and deliver fresh to the door step every morning - whatever people would like to find when they open the door. I bet that idea has legs.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-12-2015, 09:06 PM
(31-12-2015 06:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 04:01 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Milk
http://www.oberweis.com/web/homedelivery.asp

Bread
http://www.klostermanbakery.com/service/

Thanks for the links Smile Oberweis isn't in my state, Klosterman ships frozen, and I don't live near any dairies or bakeries, the closest are an hour drive away and don't deliver. I am afraid the scent of fresh baked rolls waiting for me when I get up is a thing of the past.

But, if I were still looking for business ideas, and I lived in a metropolitan area, I would see about starting a morning delivery service. Try the wealthy part of the city and deliver fresh to the door step every morning - whatever people would like to find when they open the door. I bet that idea has legs.

All the houses had milk chutes - a small pass-through by the side door with a door on the inside and one on the outside. The milkman would leave the goods in there so nobody would see it. That was before Henry decided he would just walk in and check the refrigerator to see what we needed. And that was no big deal. Henry had delivered milk in that neighborhood for 40+ years.

Now the milk chutes are still there but they're nailed shut.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
01-01-2016, 10:29 AM
I always remember as a small child getting a small bottle of milk every day at primary school, that was the highlight of my day.

I remember the toilet paper as well, it was more like greaseproof paper on a roll, ouch.
01-01-2016, 10:39 AM
The good old days
I miss the good old days when my mom was a live. She was an awesome cook and she helped me out a lot in life. Even tho I'm not a believer today church is not the same since we left our old church. I guess that's one reason I don't like church. The other reason is because the pastor shares delusional stories about a made up sky daddy. Not to mention I miss our old house we used to live in. Sigh.
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post