The great problem of eternal life.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2011, 04:17 PM
The great problem of eternal life.
Many fundamentalist Christians believe that they will inhabit Heavin for an eternity.
Now eternity is a time that goes beyond our conceptual reason. Imagine time eternal before our birth and an eternity afterwards.
After our miniscule period on planet earth there are people who believe they may continue to live far, far, longer than, say ,50 billion years.
Irrespective of how much one loves one's spouse this surely seems a tad long.
After all familiarity does breed contempt.
Still folk speak of being reunited with loved ones for an eternity.
Grandma may be disappointed to find the grandkids are older than her possibly; still god works in mysterious ways..
Given the way we exist as human beings the whole Christian notion of Resurrection appears as the height of lunacy, extinction being all but a certainty.
Some Christian apologists will claim that the holy experience is totally beyond our experience ,the problem here being that they would have us learn god's will in accordance with THEIR egotistical revelations.
The idea of eternal life has serious ramifications; delusional thinking can lead to terrorism, suicide, medically determined insanity and a huge host of other problems.
Hands up who really wants eternal life, and for what reasons.Angel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2011, 05:39 PM
RE: The great problem of eternal life.
Wouldn't it depend on the kind of life?
Not in our old bodies, obviously, so that's one problem solved. If pure mind, maybe it could keep learning and growing, absorbing non-physical experiences, perhaps to evolve into something quite different. Maybe it could enter material vessels, animate and inanimate, on various planets, for however long it wants to; go dormant for however long it wants to. Intergalactic, dimensional and time travel. Christians have little imagination - better to consult sf writers instead.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
11-08-2011, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2011 06:13 PM by NotSoVacuous.)
I think I should add this to my "Why I hate atheists" thread.

I don't really know if you were ever a religious person or not like I was and I will have to say I think you were not. If you believe in an almighty creator who will create paradise for you for eternity I really don't think your everyday issues of this earthly realm (pain, boredom, sadness, disappointment, ETC...) will really be an issue.

So please, be what you claim to me, a thinking, rational person and stop making stupid threads such as these thinking for one second "OH! Got ya Christains! You will be bored in eternal bliss!", because an all knowing, all powerful, all capable god could never correct a problem like this.

I know it is farfetched and you are on a forums of people who think rightly so, but for fucks sake man, if a all power god did exist do you really think for a second this would be an issue? Like god is going to be sitting in heaven with a complaint box of people saying, "Hey I know I told you I wanted to be here, but I'm going on 78,000 years and you know god, I'm just getting bored of this limitlessness". Then god is all "Damn, wish I could have thought of something better".

Now, I guess I better answer your question since I am posting here. Yes. Yes I would enjoy an eternal life of bliss. Not bound by the earthly realm's human emotions and limitations.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
(11-08-2011 05:58 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I think I should add this to my "Why I hate atheists" thread.

I don't really know if you were ever a religious person or not like I was and I will have to say I think you were not. If you believe in an almighty creator who will create paradise for you for eternity I really don't think your everyday issues of this earthly realm (pain, boredom, sadness, disappointment, ETC...) will really be an issue.

So please, be what you claim to me, a thinking, rational person and stop making stupid threads such as these thinking for one second "OH! Got ya Christains! You will be bored in eternal bliss!", because an all knowing, all powerful, all capable god could never correct a problem like this.

I know it is farfetched and you are on a forums of people who think rightly so, but for fucks sake man, if a all power god did exist do you really think for a second this would be an issue?

Now, I guess I better answer your question since I am posting here. Yes. Yes I would enjoy an eternal life of bliss. Not bound by the earthly realm's human emotions and limitations.

hes expressing a opinion, no need to hate.

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
11-08-2011, 06:20 PM
(11-08-2011 06:13 PM)James The Brit Wrote:  
(11-08-2011 05:58 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I think I should add this to my "Why I hate atheists" thread.

I know it is farfetched and you are on a forums of people who think rightly so, but for fucks sake man, if a all power god did exist do you really think for a second this would be an issue?

hes expressing a opinion, no need to hate.

You are implying there is no such thing as wrong opinions. There is no where in the bible that it suggests an inkling of reasoning to suggest you would get bored. What part of all powerful, all knowing, all capable god do you people not understand. Really tired of these "opinions" that are not well thought out. I came to the atheist community in search of a group that doesn't create stupid arguments and THINKS before they say things, I see strawmen and some weird form of monotonous preaching about things we all know about.

View my post where I rant in other atheist threads and find one where the OP took longer than five minutes to create his post.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
11-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Why the fuck would I even want it? ... That's its problem.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
11-08-2011, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2011 10:58 PM by Observer.)
In a perfect eternal life you should have ALL the options you want. Including the one not to want to live forever.

The problem of heaven lies in a massive oversimplification.
It starts with the concept eternity: Eternity isn't really an amount of time, I's a concept. Evid3enc3 has a rather good video about it.

I don't reject the concept of an eternal live, It is just something so incomprehensible that it is of no use in the naturalistic and materialistic world. It raises more questions then it answers.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
12-08-2011, 12:20 AM

I know it is farfetched and you are on a forums of people who think rightly so, but for fucks sake man, if a all power god did exist do you really think for a second this would be an issue? Like god is going to be sitting in heaven with a complaint box of people saying, "Hey I know I told you I wanted to be here, but I'm going on 78,000 years and you know god, I'm just getting bored of this limitlessness". Then god is all "Damn, wish I could have thought of something better".

Could you provide a link to your "why I hate atheists thread?" I would like to know why you claim to hate me even though I don't think you have ever met me.

Re "if a(n) all power(ful) god did exist do you really think for a second this would be an issue?" Why don' t you answer that? Atheists don't bother themselves by asking hypotheticals...rather they sometimes try to point out the silliness in some theist's arguments. You're the one who believes in god so you probably know all about him, right?

I'm happy for you that you believe you'll enjoy eternal bliss. Don't you think though its a shame that belief in that gets you so hateful and hot under the collar in the here and now?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2011, 01:37 AM

If you had read my post properly you would have observed that my remarks were addressed to "some fundamentalists". As for your eternal bliss in the cosmic arena I cannot see it occurring without some compensatory pain. Anyhow good luck with your eternal aspirationsWink
12-08-2011, 08:29 AM
(11-08-2011 05:58 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I think I should add this to my "Why I hate atheists" thread...

...because an all knowing, all powerful, all capable god could never correct a problem like this.

I think the main problem atheists have with a claim like this is because we don't live in eternal bliss right now, and this is also a world created by a being that claims he could make such a world.

I know the argument against "Why does God allow evil?", which is obviously that we were given free will. However, there doesn't seem to be a need for free will in Heaven, and if there were, eternal bliss could not be guaranteed. And if we don't need free will in Heaven, why do we need it now? Couldn't a God who is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow create a "Heaven on Earth"? And I think every reader's personal experience could testify that we don't live in such a state.

So... it's logical to doubt that a creator of this world could create a happy afterlife.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post