The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2015, 09:20 PM
The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
Hi guys.
Having seen another thread turn from photographs of members to discussion of guns, I figured there may as well be a gun thread for those who like them. Not to argue about the NRA which is American, and this is an international forum. Got that Americans? It is not about your politics.

I myself do not own any guns but went shooting a lot as a kid in the bush. The rifles I used were 762's, .303's and .22's.

So here ya go. Talk about guns.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
28-06-2015, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2015 05:36 AM by yakherder.)
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
Yeah I might as well move that discussion here before I destroy the photo thread, which I happen to like just the way it is :/

Call me 'murican, but I'm a fan of everything from lever action classics to heavy machine guns that can tear apart armored vehicles in seconds. I just spent the past few days qualifying on vehicle gunnery, which involves sitting on top of a turret with a 240B and/or M2 shooting at vehicles and troops as they pop up from 500 meters to 1 kilometer away. My unit does this about once annually.

My biggest regret in life is that we don't get to shoot the MK19 very often because grenades are just too expensive to go cyclic with Tongue

As stated in other threads, I currently own a .45 ACP Vector and an M4. Next on my list is a VP9.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
28-06-2015, 09:34 PM
I was born with two gunsTongue

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
28-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Some strange woman just called me on Skype wanting to show me her two "guns". How do these people get your number????

And back to guns.

I was once charged by a wild pig. Shot it in the head with, if I recall, a Lee Enfeild .303 from WWII. Smile

I was about 9 years old if I recall. Perhaps 10.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
28-06-2015, 10:07 PM
(28-06-2015 10:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Some strange woman just called me on Skype wanting to show me her two "guns". How do these people get your number????

And back to guns.

I was once charged by a wild pig. Shot it in the head with, if I recall, a Lee Enfeild .303 from WWII. Smile

I was about 9 years old if I recall. Perhaps 10.

One time I was a kid I was attacked by a pissed off wild turkey AFTER shooting it with a slingshot Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
28-06-2015, 10:24 PM
(28-06-2015 10:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  One time I was a kid I was attacked by a pissed off wild turkey AFTER shooting it with a slingshot Tongue

Are you sure it wasn't some pissed off guy with a bottle of booze??

[Image: bottle-wild-turkey_81bourbon.jpg]

Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
29-06-2015, 02:11 AM
I've cut my collection down over the last few years. At one point I had over 100.
One day I had to ask myself - "Do I really NEED 5 SKS's"???
I've got around 30 now.
No real "theme" to my collection - just stuff that came along at the right price, that I liked.
One thing I do look for -- JC Higgins model 20-12. It's a High Standard model 200, a 12 gauge pump - all steel, sold under the store brand at Sears. I've bought 8 of them over the years and have given 2 of them to my dad, and one to my sister. I have one made in the 1950's that's in near perfect condition - and its one of the straight barrel (most had poly-chokes) with the most extreme chokes I've ever used. It throws a super tight pattern. You can pick up a really nice one for around 200 bucks.

Went to the gun shop yesterday -- but just bought a couple pounds of cannon powder.

The 4th is coming....

Make some noise.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-06-2015, 04:51 AM
This year was the first time I joined a trap league and have been consuming a fair number of shotgun shells.
So I decided to resurrect my shotshell reloader which I realized had sat in milk crate on a shelf in the garage for 25 years. ( 25 frickin' years? Weeping )

I had to clean and lubricate it, it needed a spring for the primer feeder, and I had to scrounge around to find the bag of shot I knew was somewhere in the garage. (A bag of shot is typically 25 lbs. so it wasn't on the high shelf with the rest of the stuff.)

I found I still had almost three hundred primers, most of two bags of shot, a pound+ of powder (2 kinds), about 400 wads, and hundreds of empty hulls - I was good to go. The two bags of shot were one #7.5 shot (good for trap) and one #9 shot (good for skeet).

I made up about 125 shells but not without goofs - I had forgotten some of the details of operating the machine so 'mistakes were made'; spilled powder, spilled shot, ruined hulls, etc.

Anyhow, one of the points of shotshell reloading was, for me, to save a bit of money versus store-bought shells. So, off I went to the local merchant-of-all-things-dangerous to resupply powder, shot, and primers and was of course shocked at the prices. Blink

I calculate that at today's prices I can make a box of 25 shells for about $1 more than I can get good shells on sale. Facepalm

[Image: d5pA5ijl.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
29-06-2015, 05:34 AM
Yup... I was given a Hornady progressive shotshell reloader - and I sold it at an auction -- for exactly the same reason.

It's cheaper to buy them.

Now pistol and rifle loads -- especially where I cast my own bullets -- is a whole different story.

I could go buy 32 H+R Mag ammo new - if I can find it - and if I want Federal - because they're the only ones making it --- and pay over a dollar per round ---

Or

I can cast my own bullets and reload using Federal and Starline brass - and pay less than 5 cents per round......

You do the math.....

(I have a bullet trap that I do most of my shooting into - and recycle the lead - on a coal fired forge)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-06-2015, 06:52 AM
(29-06-2015 05:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yup... I was given a Hornady progressive shotshell reloader - and I sold it at an auction -- for exactly the same reason.

It's cheaper to buy them.

Now pistol and rifle loads -- especially where I cast my own bullets -- is a whole different story.

I could go buy 32 H+R Mag ammo new - if I can find it - and if I want Federal - because they're the only ones making it --- and pay over a dollar per round ---

Or

I can cast my own bullets and reload using Federal and Starline brass - and pay less than 5 cents per round......

You do the math.....

(I have a bullet trap that I do most of my shooting into - and recycle the lead - on a coal fired forge)

The only cost saving right now is if I want to duplicate the high-end Winchester AA loads - they're selling for $9.50+/box.

I have the primers, wads, and powder - and the hundreds of hulls I have are all AA hulls, so there's that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user