The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 03:16 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(15-10-2015 01:14 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 03:37 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I love Maine. I definitely think I could be happy there. If money was no object, I would love to live in some remote out of the way place in Maine like my uncle lived in. But he was loaded lol. I work for a living, so yeah, kinda need to be in a city or at least close to one. I do like cities too though.

I also am thinking of Portsmouth, NH and Providence, RI as possibilities. And of course, Boston, MA Tongue So I gotta check the gun laws out in those states too. Thumbsup

FYI, today Maine officially became a constitutional carry state, meaning you no longer have to get a concealed carry permit unless you want to have one to be able to carry in other states which are not constitutional carry but would recognize a permit from Maine.

Check out the video on this link. I tried to find it on youtube so I could embed it, but no luck.
The new Maine weapons laws: Here’s what you need to know

Thanks! Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2015, 10:10 PM
(15-10-2015 01:34 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I need to stop procrastinating and pick up that VP9 I've had on my list.

Remembered this post when I ran across this...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...%282%2915R

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
08-11-2015, 10:06 PM
[Image: J6Iu03p.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
08-11-2015, 11:27 PM
And those on the receiving end are just lying there. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
09-11-2015, 07:50 AM
Only 6 days to go!!!

Opening day of Michigan Firearm Deer Season..

This year I'm doing things a bit different - because they changed the law.
This area used to be a shotgun zone -- only shotguns, muzzleloaders and pistols could be used. Now, we can use rifles chambered in straight walled pistol cartridges over .357 bore.

I'm using an H+R Handirifle (single shot), scoped - and a Ruger GP-100 - both in .357 mag. I worked up some loads using Winchester `125 grain HP jacketed, on 17.7 grain of 2400 powder. Getting 2050 fps out of the rifle and 1300 fps out of the pistol. The rifle is grouping under 3 inches at 110 yards benched, the pistol under 3 at 50 feet -- offhand shooting... Pretty cool that the same load works so well in both.

It'll be the lightest cartridge I've ever used on whitetail.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-11-2015, 08:04 AM
(09-11-2015 07:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Only 6 days to go!!!

This area used to be a shotgun zone -- only shotguns, muzzleloaders and pistols could be used. Now, we can use rifles chambered in straight walled pistol cartridges over .357 bore.

I'm using an H+R Handirifle (single shot), scoped - and a Ruger GP-100 - both in .357 mag. I worked up some loads using Winchester `125 grain HP jacketed, on 17.7 grain of 2400 powder. Getting 2050 fps out of the rifle and 1300 fps out of the pistol. The rifle is grouping under 3 inches at 110 yards benched, the pistol under 3 at 50 feet -- offhand shooting... Pretty cool that the same load works so well in both.

That reminds me, I want to chrono my Winchester 94 (16" barrel) in .357 Mag.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Got training in Vermont this coming weekend, but they gave people the option to go this past weekend instead because they knew half the people would be AWOL if they tried to hold mandatory training on the first weekend of deer season lol.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
09-11-2015, 09:01 AM
(09-11-2015 08:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 07:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Only 6 days to go!!!

That reminds me, I want to chrono my Winchester 94 (16" barrel) in .357 Mag.

If you're using factory ammo -- you can expect some gain out of your 94 over a revolver -- say 300 fps or so... IME - you can get considerable more by going with handloads customized to your rifle. I was surprised to be able to get over 2000 fps with mine. (tested on a Chrony chronometer...)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-11-2015, 09:29 AM
(09-11-2015 09:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 08:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  That reminds me, I want to chrono my Winchester 94 (16" barrel) in .357 Mag.

If you're using factory ammo -- you can expect some gain out of your 94 over a revolver -- say 300 fps or so... IME - you can get considerable more by going with handloads customized to your rifle. I was surprised to be able to get over 2000 fps with mine. (tested on a Chrony chronometer...)

I don't reload metallic cartridges, just shotgun shells.

But my brother has the equipment, so maybe I can try it. Consider

.357 mag ballistics chart

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2015, 10:05 AM
(09-11-2015 09:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 09:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you're using factory ammo -- you can expect some gain out of your 94 over a revolver -- say 300 fps or so... IME - you can get considerable more by going with handloads customized to your rifle. I was surprised to be able to get over 2000 fps with mine. (tested on a Chrony chronometer...)

I don't reload metallic cartridges, just shotgun shells.

But my brother has the equipment, so maybe I can try it. Consider

.357 mag ballistics chart

It's worth it on a cost savings alone....

Try 2400 powder... good velocities - and meters through a volumetric measure at near match quality.... I've had great luck with it with .357 and 44 mag (in the past on 44... no longer have one.)

Also -- especially if you go with lighter bullets - under 140 grain -- it's a really good idea if you're using regular (not match) bullets - to weigh them all -- and separate them into groups +/- tenth of a grain... I noticed a definite improvement in elevation at 100 yards... A couple tenths moved the groups about an inch..

I think your 94 is a 1 in 16 (or 1 in 14) twist -- and I'd bet on the lighter bullets for best grouping..... Never know though -- sometimes a gun will do completely unexpected stuff....

That's half the fun -- figuring it out...