The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2015, 05:51 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
This is a thread for gun enthusiasts. Debate/opinion on guns isn't welcome.

If you want to debate guns, gun control or how crazy Americans are for how they target practice...start a thread or jump into ONE OF THE MANY threads we have in the politics section.

Thread Split.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-11-2015, 06:08 PM
(09-11-2015 05:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This is a thread for gun enthusiasts. Debate/opinion on guns isn't welcome.

If you want to debate guns, gun control or how crazy Americans are for how they target practice...start a thread or jump into ONE OF THE MANY threads we have in the politics section.

Thread Split.
Granted the martial arts conversation was off topic, But I did think the discussion on shaped targets vs circle targets was a gun enthusiast topic.
09-11-2015, 06:18 PM
(09-11-2015 06:08 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 05:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This is a thread for gun enthusiasts. Debate/opinion on guns isn't welcome.

Thread Split.
Granted the martial arts conversation was off topic, But I did think the discussion on shaped targets vs circle targets was a gun enthusiast topic.

You can take this line of discussion to the split. If a gun owner wants to debate skeet verses paper targets that's fine. It's their discussion.

It doesn't take much to bring anti-gun opinions into the thread (I'm not implying that your opinion is antigun, but others can interpret it that way -- a human shaped target as opposed to a round target or any other shape).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-11-2015, 07:47 PM
(08-11-2015 10:06 PM)yakherder Wrote:  [Image: J6Iu03p.jpg]

Granted, my favorite handgun round is a .40 S&W, and I have very little trigger time behind a .45, I can certainly shoot a .45 with better accuracy than that (by comparative distance with a 9mm). There is valid reason to keep your 9mm instead though, if you aren't man enough to minimize your muzzle climb. Tongue Kidding, of course.

To me the .40 is the perfect balance, but must also give considerable consideration to the pistol you're using. A well balanced modern pistol negates much of the muzzle climb keeping you closer to center-mass. Stopping power is only part of the equation as well, you must also consider the amount of rounds your mag (or revolver) will hold (Maybe not that much of a consideration for Californians...damn hippies), and potentially concealability and weight depending on how you plan to use your pistol. All things considered I feel that the .40 strikes a good balance with all those factors being a consideration for me.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
09-11-2015, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 07:58 PM by GirlyMan.)
I'm not a gun enthusiast but I am an owner of several shotguns. I don't hunt so the only purpose is home defense. This guy apparently has an excellent rep among gun enthusiasts. Shotguns good enough for my purposes?.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-11-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm actually a fan of .45 ACP. But given the nature of the recurring .45 vs 9mm debate, I just thought it was a funny meme Tongue As far as I'm concerned, the biggest advantage of 9mm is the price, and the fact that the price allows me to train a lot more. The opportunity for more training, in my opinion, makes up for any theoretical minor differences.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
09-11-2015, 10:27 PM
(09-11-2015 07:59 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm actually a fan of .45 ACP. But given the nature of the recurring .45 vs 9mm debate, I just thought it was a funny meme Tongue As far as I'm concerned, the biggest advantage of 9mm is the price, and the fact that the price allows me to train a lot more. The opportunity for more training, in my opinion, makes up for any theoretical minor differences.

That is definitely a plus, but magazine capacity is too. Also controllability.
And the price of .40 S&W is coming down as it becomes more common.

I have a Sig P226 in .40 S&W and am not yet terribly accurate with it - pie plate size groups at 25 ft.
I might post a couple of targets for comparison. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2015, 06:57 AM
I use .40 S+W for target practice in one of these ---

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6LVYgqXBnU0ZSXAB48Hq...59Uios4STw]

A S+W 610. A revolver chambered in 10mm. Enough power for most any application - and reloads faster than conventional revolvers - as the cartridges are on clips which load in the gun. So, instead of loading 6 bullets, you put in one clip.

I used to have the 625 as well (.45 acp) - but sold it to a friend, because it would not shoot lead bullets without lead fouling. It would foul after 6 shots. Too bad, because the thing shot beautiful and had an awesome trigger job. Probably the smoothest D/A of any revolver I've ever shot.

Funny though -- even at the higher velocities - the 610 doesn't lead foul quickly...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
10-11-2015, 07:14 AM
(09-11-2015 07:59 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm actually a fan of .45 ACP. But given the nature of the recurring .45 vs 9mm debate, I just thought it was a funny meme Tongue As far as I'm concerned, the biggest advantage of 9mm is the price, and the fact that the price allows me to train a lot more. The opportunity for more training, in my opinion, makes up for any theoretical minor differences.

I've always carried 9mm. Mostly due to the extra rounds and the fact that the rounds I carry can do plenty of damage. I like having lots of rounds. If I carry my 1911, I have at most 17 rounds. My 9mm, I carry more than that in my initial mag.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
15-11-2015, 09:50 PM

I actually like the .45 GAP more than .45 ACP, except it is very difficult to find, too expensive when you do find it, and there are only two pistols, that I am aware of, that are chambered for that round. It is doomed to be one of those obscure rounds that fade from history like so many other rounds that have came before it. The only thing preventing it from disappearing faster is that some police forces were early adopters. You should check it out if you get the opportunity. It's a nice round.