The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 07:23 AM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(18-11-2015 07:20 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 06:53 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Why was this enthusiasts thread split? Steve? Explain please. In a PM if need be.

Guns are just tools. Americans, many it seems, seem to think they are penis extensions. They are not. However, they are great for hunting game.

Machine guns, not so much. A rabbit shot by an AK47 probably is not worth skinning and roasting. Smile

It was split to give people a place to talk about guns without having to wade through multiple posts by penisless munchkins from Oz.

No, an AK47 is not a great tool for hunting rabbit for food. It's a passable tool for hunting feral pigs though. Although I prefer the more powerful 308 for that task. Better yet a good old 45-70 lever gun.

I'd use my SKS for hunting rabbits..... It'd be easy to headshot one out to 50 yards offhand...... (I've got a really nice Russian one - 1 inch groups at 100 yards)....

It'd beat trying to brain the rabbit with a rock.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2015, 07:25 AM
(18-11-2015 07:20 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  It was split to give people a place to talk about guns without having to wade through multiple posts by penisless munchkins from Oz.

No, an AK47 is not a great tool for hunting rabbit for food. It's a passable tool for hunting feral pigs though. Although I prefer the more powerful 308 for that task. Better yet a good old 45-70 lever gun.

Hey I began this thread and have worked as both hunter and fisherman. Shot pleyty of pigs and roos. So I hope this Aussie stuff is not aimed at me. (Pun intended)

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-11-2015, 07:26 AM
Unknown what became of this post. Must be Jesus!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
18-11-2015, 07:26 AM
Pretty sure he means the story version of Oz (with dorthy and toto and the lot) - rather than the more literal version....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-11-2015, 07:27 AM
(18-11-2015 07:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Pretty sure he means the story version of Oz (with dorthy and toto and the lot) - rather than the more literal version....

Yeah we're fucked.

Banjo.
18-11-2015, 07:39 AM
(18-11-2015 07:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 07:11 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I came up with double action revolvers and single action pistols. I think as a result of that of that I hate a Glock. I had a model 23 for a while, but got rid of it. I of a very few guns I've owned and not kept. I tried to like it but never could get use to the damn feel of the trigger. I've shot some other striker fired guns like Sigs and M&Ps, but just didn't like the feel. The 320 has a whole different feel for me. It's more like a 1911 or HiPower than a Glock. One thing I am worried about is the 320 I bought does not have the trigger safety you see on a lot of other striker fired weapons. I understand you can get them with the trigger safety, but the one I ordered doesn't have one. That causes me some concern about unintentional discharges...

With an unloaded weapon -- practice drawing from your holster -- with your trigger finger on the frame above the trigger.......... Do it a couple thousand times (seriously) till it becomes ingrained.....

I did it yesterday - when I drew my revolver on a buck that snuck up on me.... I was very pleased with myself to find my finger along the frame, and not on the trigger.......

I shoot a lot, biker. More than most. I try to go to the range at least twice a month. Every time I go I put at least 50 rounds through a handgun plus whatever long guns I brought. I've got a Kimber Pro Carry II with 10K plus rounds through it. So many rounds that I had to replace the aluminium feed ramp with a steel one.

I've had exactly one unintentional discharge in 45 years of gun handling. I was adjusting the trigger pull on a Savage model 12. It's a bench gun. I turned it down so far that as soon as I touched it the gun fired. The gun was already pointed at the target before I touched the trigger, and the errant round went within an inch of where I wanted to go. That doesn't stop me from being concerned over a new gun with features I'm not use to...

Here's the model 12. It's a LRPV with a 26" 7 twist barrel in 223. Right bolt left port single shot. It'll put 80 grain SMKs loaded a couple thousands off the lands in the same 1/2 hole all day long at a 100 yards. It's box stock, but it is by far the accurate rifle I own. The other guys cuss every time I show up with it at a high power match with it because they know it shoots as good or better than their custom guns that sometimes cost thousands more.

[Image: Savage%20Model%2012%20LRPV%20b_zpscgxugfsj.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
18-11-2015, 07:45 AM
(18-11-2015 07:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 07:20 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  It was split to give people a place to talk about guns without having to wade through multiple posts by penisless munchkins from Oz.

I'd use my SKS for hunting rabbits..... It'd be easy to headshot one out to 50 yards offhand...... (I've got a really nice Russian one - 1 inch groups at 100 yards)....

I've got a friend that uses an SKS for deer. I prefer a 22 for rabbit. My deer rifle is a 700 with a 20" barrel in 308.

[Image: Remington%20700%20Hunting%20b_zpsjyo1zyab.jpg]

18-11-2015, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2015 12:56 PM by onlinebiker.)
(18-11-2015 07:45 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 07:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'd use my SKS for hunting rabbits..... It'd be easy to headshot one out to 50 yards offhand...... (I've got a really nice Russian one - 1 inch groups at 100 yards)....

I've got a friend that uses an SKS for deer. I prefer a 22 for rabbit. My deer rifle is a 700 with a 20" barrel in 308.

[Image: Remington%20700%20Hunting%20b_zpsjyo1zyab.jpg]

We're only allowed "toy rifles" in this area..(for deer).. It used to be "shotgun only" -- but we're allowed rifles chambered in proprietary straight walled pistol cartridges.. They have to be over .357 bore...... I'm using a H+R handirifle in .357 mag for ranges out to 120 yards. Past that range, a 12 gauge rifle I built a few years ago.... I'm quite confident with it out to 250 yards.. (4 inch groups) I use the Hornady SST sabots, that put a 300 grain .50 caliber boat tailed bullet out at 2100fps. (according to my chronometer)

I got a deer with the .357 mag at about 75 yards on opening morning - and took out the back of the left lung, the upper chambers of the heart and the front of the right lung..... Shred city..... The bullet did not go through - but I never found it either..... Pretty impressive for a pistol cartridge...

I really like it.. Nice and light - easy to carry..... Almost no recoil.

Edit to add...

I missed it -- the bullet DID go clean through -- it was just a lot lower than I'd anticipated.... Weird too -- the exit hole was lower than the entry -- and the entry, not the exit was covered with blood....

First time for everything....

18-11-2015, 10:06 AM
The 700 began life as a youth model I picked up at Gander Mountain for about $200 several years ago. I really like the 20" barrel, but I don't think Remington makes a 700 in 308 with a 20" barrel any more. The stock is actually a laminate. Each side is a single piece of walnut with a carbon fiber stiffener sandwiched between the two. I glass bedded it and put a Timney trigger in it. Without the scope it's about 7 lbs so it is a little lighter than a CDL and handles like a model 7.

18-11-2015, 12:04 PM
(18-11-2015 07:25 AM)Banjo Wrote:  

Hey I began this thread and have worked as both hunter and fisherman. Shot pleyty of pigs and roos. So I hope this Aussie stuff is not aimed at me. (Pun intended)

The other Oz, methinks. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user