The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2016, 09:00 AM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(01-02-2016 08:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-01-2016 06:39 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I have a Lee perfect powder measure. Since I am using a stick powder and am anal about the charge weight, I set the dispenser for just under what I need and trickle the rest in.

If I am loading 5.56 and using a ball powder such as Ramshot TAC, I just set the dispenser and dump it right in the case.

I don't do a lot of mass ammo reloading. For my SHTF ammo, I just buy it in bulk. However, I like to have a supply of good ammo and I can tune the charge for my rifles and get better results and save money.

Sounds like fun.
I reload shotgun shells with a progressive reloader. I get the best of both - I can produce a large quantity of consistent loads and I can easily experiment with various loads.

I don't shoot scattergun enough to make it worth the effort of reloading shotgun. At one time, I wanted to get into reloading shotgun slugs - as I would have liked to practice more with my deer gun . But -- since they changed the law - we're no longer a "shotgun only zone" --- and we can use rifles chambered in pistol cartridges. So now -- the .357 Mag is my deerstacker of choice. THAT I can reload for -- and do....(Works excellent, too)

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2016, 09:54 AM
(01-02-2016 09:00 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 08:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  Sounds like fun.
I reload shotgun shells with a progressive reloader. I get the best of both - I can produce a large quantity of consistent loads and I can easily experiment with various loads.

I don't shoot scattergun enough to make it worth the effort of reloading shotgun. At one time, I wanted to get into reloading shotgun slugs - as I would have liked to practice more with my deer gun . But -- since they changed the law - we're no longer a "shotgun only zone" --- and we can use rifles chambered in pistol cartridges. So now -- the .357 Mag is my deerstacker of choice. THAT I can reload for -- and do....(Works excellent, too)

Big Grin

I wish Massachusetts would do that; then I could use my Winchester 94AE (Trapper) in .357 Mag. It's a very handy carbine for wooded or bushy terrain.

[Image: 705120_01_winchester_model_94_ranger_com_640.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2016, 11:50 AM
(01-02-2016 09:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 09:00 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I don't shoot scattergun enough to make it worth the effort of reloading shotgun. At one time, I wanted to get into reloading shotgun slugs - as I would have liked to practice more with my deer gun . But -- since they changed the law - we're no longer a "shotgun only zone" --- and we can use rifles chambered in pistol cartridges. So now -- the .357 Mag is my deerstacker of choice. THAT I can reload for -- and do....(Works excellent, too)

Big Grin

I wish Massachusetts would do that; then I could use my Winchester 94AE (Trapper) in .357 Mag. It's a very handy carbine for wooded or bushy terrain.

[Image: 705120_01_winchester_model_94_ranger_com_640.jpg]

You should get a copy of the new Michigan rules off the MI DNR site -- and submit it to Massachusetts' Fish and Game -- and say "See??? We should do this...."....

Never know -- it might work.....

Yup - that'd be legal here --- although I think you'd have to fit the magazine with a block -- so it'd only take 5 rounds......

Mine's a single -- and three shots got three deer --- so I guess that's sorta a moot point...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-02-2016, 10:03 AM
Popcorn

[Image: FPKhiNWl.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
20-02-2016, 10:33 AM
(28-01-2016 01:41 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Been seriously thinking about picking up a Browning 1911-380 for Karen to use. A double stack 9 is to big for her hands. A single stack one kicks to hard for her. I'm hoping the 85% scale 1911 in 380 will work for her...

and here is the Browning I picked up for Karen to use.

[Image: 20160220_102049_zpsxcmesite.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
24-02-2016, 12:58 PM
How lucky Keanu is to get to work with Taran Butler Tongue

'Murican Canadian
24-02-2016, 01:15 PM
I was wondering if such a thread exists. Nice!

I have a Glock 42, a Glock 19, two Ruger LCPs (my EDC), and a SIG556. Looking to trade in the SIG556 and get something a bit lighter like an ACR or SCAR.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
24-02-2016, 01:22 PM
(24-02-2016 01:15 PM)philosopher Wrote:  I was wondering if such a thread exists. Nice!

I have a Glock 42, a Glock 19, two Ruger LCPs (my EDC), and a SIG556. Looking to trade in the SIG556 and get something a bit lighter like an ACR or SCAR.

Ever tried a SCAR? Couple guys in my unit have and love them, but it just didn't feel quite right to me. Then again, I love my Vector and most of then can't stand it.

'Murican Canadian
24-02-2016, 02:01 PM
(24-02-2016 01:15 PM)philosopher Wrote:  I was wondering if such a thread exists. Nice!

I don't think an ACR or SCAR is lighter than a 14.5" or 16" barrel AR-15. Consider

I just built a 20" rifle configuration AR and I think it's nearly the same weight as my 16" carbine.

If you build your own AR, you can make it pretty darn light weight.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2016, 02:07 PM
(24-02-2016 01:22 PM)yakherder Wrote:  

Ever tried a SCAR? Couple guys in my unit have and love them, but it just didn't feel quite right to me. Then again, I love my Vector and most of then can't stand it.
Tried one a couple years ago and really liked it. Problem is it's just so expensive. Hoping if I can "trade in" the SIG at a good price (of course, no where near what I paid for it right after Sandy Hook, ugh), maybe I can afford the difference.

(24-02-2016 02:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  

I don't think an ACR or SCAR is lighter than a 14.5" or 16" barrel AR-15. Consider

I just built a 20" rifle configuration AR and I think it's nearly the same weight as my 16" carbine.

If you build your own AR, you can make it pretty darn light weight.
The SIG556 is crazy heavy, unfortunately, and also is very barrel heavy. Good for sniping (as far as sniping with an AR goes, lol), but that's about it. Muzzle control while standing is difficult for me, honestly.

My SIG, because of the fish gill hand guard, weighs in at almost 10 lbs unloaded. The ACR is anywhere between about 8-high 9, and the SCAR between 6-8 depending on the variations I've been looking at. More than anything I think perhaps I'm looking for a better balanced rifle than the barrel heavy SIG.

I wouldn't be opposed to building my own, really, but then again, to be fairly honest, I like the looks of the aforementioned as a complete, matching build.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris