The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 06:55 AM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
My best friend inherited a 458 Win mag. I believe it was a model 70 (this was 20 years ago) ---

He went out, and bought one box of shells (around 45 bucks for 20 rounds) -- and brought it out to my place to give it a try..

He loaded it up - then handed it to me and said "Go ahead -- you're the big badass biker --- let's see YOU shoot it".. (I did out weigh him by a 100 lbs - so it seemed "logical"....)

I got in tight on it, took aim....paused... readjusted....took off my hat and stuffed it under the stock... paused... fiddled... (pussied around a bunch more) --- finally, just pulled up and shot the damned thing......

Did I mention that we were both so friggin nervous - that we'd both forgot ear protection?????

DUH.....

The recoil?? Nothing horrible.... I've got a Savage 94 -- single shot 12 gauge - it's so damned light that the recoil from it is FAR worse than the 458........

At least we got to go deaf for a bit.... That was impressive.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2016, 03:06 PM
I use my .458 a lot. I am pretty recoil tolerant and it isn't bad for me. However, since I've gotten old and weaker, I decided to put a small custom made muzzle break on it. That helps a lot. That may be my elk rifle this year. I've used it before and with 400 grain Swift A-frames or 400 grain Barnes originals it does not destroy very much meat.

I guess that my favorite cartridge is the .458 but the 7mm Rem Mag runs a very close second. I have 3 7 Mag rifles and they are good game getters for everything up to elk. My wife says that I am not going to hunt elk this year. She almost never tells me what I can and can't do but this is an exception. I have become so very crippled she worries about me falling in the mountains and not being able to get up. I am exercising hard everyday trying to overcome my disability but I'm not making much progress.
18-05-2016, 05:43 AM
(17-05-2016 03:06 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I use my .458 a lot. I am pretty recoil tolerant and it isn't bad for me. However, since I've gotten old and weaker, I decided to put a small custom made muzzle break on it. That helps a lot. That may be my elk rifle this year. I've used it before and with 400 grain Swift A-frames or 400 grain Barnes originals it does not destroy very much meat.

I guess that my favorite cartridge is the .458 but the 7mm Rem Mag runs a very close second. I have 3 7 Mag rifles and they are good game getters for everything up to elk. My wife says that I am not going to hunt elk this year. She almost never tells me what I can and can't do but this is an exception. I have become so very crippled she worries about me falling in the mountains and not being able to get up. I am exercising hard everyday trying to overcome my disability but I'm not making much progress.

I hear ya. I'm about 20 years younger than you - but I've got rough mileage.... (getting run over by a truck didn't help)...

I have to work out 5 times a week - just to keep ahead of it..

Still -- any day above ground and vertical beats a day below and horizontal...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
19-05-2016, 09:10 AM
(17-05-2016 03:06 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I use my .458 a lot. I am pretty recoil tolerant and it isn't bad for me. However, since I've gotten old and weaker, I decided to put a small custom made muzzle break on it. That helps a lot. That may be my elk rifle this year. I've used it before and with 400 grain Swift A-frames or 400 grain Barnes originals it does not destroy very much meat.

I went deer hunting in Ontario, in the bush, in the snow, out of sight of my friends while in a leg brace and on crutches. Consider

We made sure they knew my approximate location and we had a timetable.

Have you considered one of those recoil reducers that goes in the stock?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2016, 09:27 AM
I am in the market for a AR-10. Anyone have any suggestions? I will primarily be using it for hunting.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
19-05-2016, 09:41 AM
(19-05-2016 09:27 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am in the market for a AR-10. Anyone have any suggestions? I will primarily be using it for hunting.

I'd avoid the Bushmaster. I bought one when I worked at a gunshop - and got a great deal on it....

However... While it cycled fine -- the trigger was HORRIBLE... 13 lbs and creepy... they had the audacity to call it a "combat trigger"......

Even after cleaning it up -- I still could not get good groups with it.. 3 inch or so at 100 yards was the best I got, even with lots of experimenting with handloads.....

One of the main reasons I got it - it used the FN-FAL mags -- which are plentiful and cheap.

Before you buy -- find out the price of mags -- if they're proprietary they will frequently go in excess of 75 bucks a mag.

19-05-2016, 09:49 AM
(19-05-2016 09:27 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am in the market for a AR-10. Anyone have any suggestions? I will primarily be using it for hunting.

That one all depends on your budget. Armalite and DPMS are always good buys. So is the Fulton Armory FAR-308 Titan series as well as Rock River Arms LAR-8 series. Moving up in price (and quality), LaRue Tactical, Daniel Defense, POF, LWRC, Wilson Combat and Knight's Armament all get high marks in my book, if you have the cash.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
19-05-2016, 09:57 AM
(19-05-2016 09:49 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  

That one all depends on your budget. Armalite and DPMS are always good buys. So is the Fulton Armory FAR-308 Titan series as well as Rock River Arms LAR-8 series. Moving up in price (and quality), LaRue Tactical, Daniel Defense, POF, LWRC, Wilson Combat and Knight's Armament all get high marks in my book, if you have the cash.
Thanks, I was looking at Daniel defense. However, I just figured that if I am only using it for hunting and not for combat, it would be an overkill...no pun intended.

20-05-2016, 04:11 AM
Shotgun range day ClapClapClap

Given that it's not something we're required to be qualified on, we rarely get a chance to bring them out of the armory. Let alone for a full day.

'Murican Canadian
20-05-2016, 05:08 AM
(20-05-2016 04:11 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Shotgun range day ClapClapClap

Given that it's not something we're required to be qualified on, we rarely get a chance to bring them out of the armory. Let alone for a full day.

We got to qualify for ship boardings at the office I worked at, once upon a time....

It was pretty slick (considering the tech of the day) ---

They used a paper screen in front of a nylon net, and wax pellets loaded conventionally in a Remington pump.

They had a movie projector - and the film showed a series of scenarios - and you either shot, or didn't shoot at potential threats ---- a microphone picked up the blast of the shotgun - and stopped the screen - allowing the instructor to score if you hit a bad guy - or shot some kid.

Primitive by today's standards..

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post