The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2016, 10:04 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(19-05-2016 09:27 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am in the market for a AR-10. Anyone have any suggestions? I will primarily be using it for hunting.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

DPMS (Panther Arms) makes a good rifle at a good price, the LR-308.

top one is 7.62x51, bottom is 5.56x45; both DPMS.

[Image: 2EvilGuns.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-05-2016, 10:24 PM
(20-05-2016 05:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 04:11 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Shotgun range day ClapClapClap

Given that it's not something we're required to be qualified on, we rarely get a chance to bring them out of the armory. Let alone for a full day.

We got to qualify for ship boardings at the office I worked at, once upon a time....

It was pretty slick (considering the tech of the day) ---

They used a paper screen in front of a nylon net, and wax pellets loaded conventionally in a Remington pump.

They had a movie projector - and the film showed a series of scenarios - and you either shot, or didn't shoot at potential threats ---- a microphone picked up the blast of the shotgun - and stopped the screen - allowing the instructor to score if you hit a bad guy - or shot some kid.

Primitive by today's standards..

We went through a pretty good mix of old and new today ranging from the Mossbergs we've had since forever to our newer M26, which is essentially a bolt action super lightweight 12 gauge that can be mounted on the front of an M4. For standalone use, I very much prefer the Mossbergs. But it's nice to have a lightweight alternative so whoever is carrying the shotgun doesn't have to leave their M4 behind.

We also got out the 320, our recent replacement to the 203 grenade launcher, and managed to start a small bush fire while messing around with the luminary rounds lol. Mostly we use these dummy chalk rounds and fire them at clustered targets on a conventional range with plenty of obstacles to shoot over.

For shotgun training, given that our primary use for them is as a breaching tool, we use little plywood houses and do building/room clearing drills.

I also feel the need to mention that our new female addition to our unit seems to be a natural at the grenade launcher, which can be a pain in the ass to shoot accurately for those of us who are more accustomed to traditional rifle sights and needs to be aimed somewhat intuitively with regards to distance and elevation.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
21-05-2016, 06:15 AM
(20-05-2016 10:24 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 05:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We got to qualify for ship boardings at the office I worked at, once upon a time....

It was pretty slick (considering the tech of the day) ---

They used a paper screen in front of a nylon net, and wax pellets loaded conventionally in a Remington pump.

They had a movie projector - and the film showed a series of scenarios - and you either shot, or didn't shoot at potential threats ---- a microphone picked up the blast of the shotgun - and stopped the screen - allowing the instructor to score if you hit a bad guy - or shot some kid.

Primitive by today's standards..

We went through a pretty good mix of old and new today ranging from the Mossbergs we've had since forever to our newer M26, which is essentially a bolt action super lightweight 12 gauge that can be mounted on the front of an M4. For standalone use, I very much prefer the Mossbergs. But it's nice to have a lightweight alternative so whoever is carrying the shotgun doesn't have to leave their M4 behind.

We also got out the 320, our recent replacement to the 203 grenade launcher, and managed to start a small bush fire while messing around with the luminary rounds lol. Mostly we use these dummy chalk rounds and fire them at clustered targets on a conventional range with plenty of obstacles to shoot over.

For shotgun training, given that our primary use for them is as a breaching tool, we use little plywood houses and do building/room clearing drills.

I also feel the need to mention that our new female addition to our unit seems to be a natural at the grenade launcher, which can be a pain in the ass to shoot accurately for those of us who are more accustomed to traditional rifle sights and needs to be aimed somewhat intuitively with regards to distance and elevation.

Does your unit use a Mossberg 500?? I've always considered those a "throwaway" gun. They're good for a limited amount of rounds - but the aluminum receivers don't hold up under heavy use..... I've had two of them that after extended use became "semi-semi autos" -- as the breach would pop open when fired.... Not a good thing...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-05-2016, 06:26 AM
(21-05-2016 06:15 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 10:24 PM)yakherder Wrote:  We went through a pretty good mix of old and new today ranging from the Mossbergs we've had since forever to our newer M26, which is essentially a bolt action super lightweight 12 gauge that can be mounted on the front of an M4. For standalone use, I very much prefer the Mossbergs. But it's nice to have a lightweight alternative so whoever is carrying the shotgun doesn't have to leave their M4 behind.

Does your unit use a Mossberg 500?? I've always considered those a "throwaway" gun. They're good for a limited amount of rounds - but the aluminum receivers don't hold up under heavy use..... I've had two of them that after extended use became "semi-semi autos" -- as the breach would pop open when fired.... Not a good thing...

Yep, 500A. We've got the stocks removed for about half of them too since, again, we mostly just use them as breaching tools. A lot of guys who are used to the Mossbergs don't like the feel of the 320, but I feel it is much more practical for how we use them.

'Murican Canadian
22-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Tomorrow we do some Javelin training. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm ready for a break from the range. Mostly because we ruck there and back and, against all logic, it somehow seems to be uphill both ways. That said, I can't say I didn't get some pleasure the other day out of marching up to the range with a shotgun slung over my right shoulder and a grenade launcher in my left hand.

Note that my magazine pouches, since we weren't doing rifles that day, were filed with snacks and stuff instead of magazines. As compared to the combat load or the fighting load, I call this variant the weekend warrior load.

'Murican Canadian
23-05-2016, 10:31 AM
(19-05-2016 09:27 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am in the market for a AR-10. Anyone have any suggestions? I will primarily be using it for hunting.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Another rifle I would highly recommend in the AR-10 market is the Ruger SR-762, which is their version of the .308 AR platform. It has a lot of nice extras like being a short stroke piston powered gun as opposed to the DI design, cold hammer forged barrels, chromed bolt, carrier, op-rod and piston, Troy Industries BUIS, soft carry case and 3 Magpul 20-round mags all in one package for about $1750.

I own three Ruger made guns and have absolutely nothing bad to say about them. They all work great and Ruger customer service is a pleasure to deal with.

An SR-762 will work well as a hunting rifle and is a VERY effective defensive firearm for the home as well.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr762/models.html

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
23-05-2016, 10:34 AM
It's hard to go wrong with a Ruger... Although I've only owned a 10/22 rifle --- I've owned many of their pistols -and they work, and work well.....

I've even whacked a buck with my .480 Ruger SRH..... DRT....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
26-05-2016, 10:24 PM
In regards to our new female cav scout, we've discovered that she can fit her whole arm inside the receiver of the ma deuce lol. That's been coming in quite handy. So much so that the other platoons keep asking to borrow her when the need to get inside the .50 arises.

'Murican Canadian
30-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Me Censored sucking with the M320 grenade launcher. I tend to shoot low, and at this point am probably best just sticking with my M4 Tongue Wish we had more opportunities to practice, even if just with dummy rounds.

'Murican Canadian
02-06-2016, 05:27 PM
I've been too busy the last few months to get out and shoot much............

So today, I got incentive.

I ran my runout ammo through the washer.... (I use cut down 03-A3 stripper clips -- they fit .32 H+R mag rounds perfectly) I wanted to see if this ammo - which is my handloads -- survives a good soaking.. (Seeing it's been through the laundry at LEAST twice)....

Yup -- it all fired. Anybody that tells you that getting metallic cartridges wet ruins them, doesn't know what they're talking about....

Anyway -- After not shooting for months -- here's what I did at 60 feet - (20 meters) with a Smith and Wesson 331 --- 32 H+R mag -in double action -- quick shot...

[img][Image: 100_0983_zpsc96cogpz.jpg][/img]

30 shots -- some are hard to pick out -- but they're all there... on a 8 1/2 x 11 target.....

That puts every shot as a chest shot --- at what experts consider 3 times the normal "self defense" range..........

Not bad for an old guy, eh???

Big Grin