The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2016, 08:31 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
Just picked up my latest acquisition today.

[Image: seekins_zpsk9qh2crj.jpg]

It's a factory matched Seekins Precision receiver set. This one is going to end up as a suppressed 10.3" 300 Blackout.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2016, 08:34 PM
I bought all the parts for the SBR except the barrel, and decided I didn't want to wait for my tax stamp to come back. So I picked up a 16" 300 blackout barrel with a pistol length gas system from KAK for another $100 and built this today.

[Image: 300%20Blk-16%20-%20800x448_zpsfiv00rtc.jpg]

Seekins Precision upper and lower receivers, bolt carrier group and 12" MCSR M-LOK rail. I put a Geissele SD-C trigger in it. The rest of the lower parts including the grip are Bravo Company. It's got their mod 4 charging handle too. The gas block is a low profile adjustable From JP. The pop ups are Troy battle sights. The mount is a QD Burris PERP, and the optic is a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24. I plan on running it with a direct threaded suppressor once that stamp comes in so I didn't buy a flash hider. The one that's mounted is a take off from a DPMS LR-308.

I still plan on doing the SBR when the tax stamp comes, but I'll probably buy a new upper and rail just like these and have two uppers in the 300 Blk.

[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
23-07-2016, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2016 09:22 PM by Chas.)
(23-07-2016 08:34 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I bought all the parts for the SBR except the barrel, and decided I didn't want to wait for my tax stamp to come back. So I picked up a 16" 300 blackout barrel with a pistol length gas system from KAK for another $100 and built this today.

[Image: 300%20Blk-16%20-%20800x448_zpsfiv00rtc.jpg]

Seekins Precision upper and lower receivers, bolt carrier group and 12" MCSR M-LOK rail. I put a Geissele SD-C trigger in it. The rest of the lower parts including the grip are Bravo Company. It's got their mod 4 charging handle too. The gas block is a low profile adjustable From JP. The pop ups are Troy battle sights. The mount is a QD Burris PERP, and the optic is a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24. I plan on running it with a direct threaded suppressor once that stamp comes in so I didn't buy a flash hider. The one that's mounted is a take off from a DPMS LR-308.

I still plan on doing the SBR when the tax stamp comes, but I'll probably buy a new upper and rail just like these and have two uppers in the 300 Blk.

I have one more lower + parts and am trying to decide on an upper. 300 Blackout? Consider

I've built three ARs, a 20" rifle, a 16" carbine in 5.56 and a 18" SPR in .223 Wylde.

But the latest foofaraw in Massachusetts with the attorney general over-stepping her authority and banning rifles that are clearly allowed in MA, the status of these is in limbo.
I don't think she'll get away with it, a federal court will nullify her order.

In other news, I picked up a new trap gun yesterday - Browning Citori 725 Pro Trap:

[Image: original.img.jpg]

It has a high rib and adjustable comb. I raised it about 1/2" and gave it about 5/16" cast off. It also has Grade II/IV wood - quite beautiful.
Tried it out this afternoon - there were broken clays littering the ground. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Nice shotgun, Chas.

What's the AG done? Not issuing new licenses? If you already have the lower isn't it already registered? I'm assuming Mass registers guns...

I wanted the 300 Blackout to run subsonics in the SBR, but they'll work in the 16" barrel too. Shooting 200-240 grain bullets at 950-1050 fps is like throwing bricks but its good out to around 100 yards and quite. A lot of people around here are using suppressed 300 Blk for deer these days. Ballistics for the 110 -150 grain supers are similar to what you get in a 7.62 x 39. After I get the SBR built I'll probably just run subs in it, and set the 16" up for Barnes 110 grain Tac-TX and run those those exclusively in that upper.

24-07-2016, 07:14 AM
(23-07-2016 09:39 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Nice shotgun, Chas.

What's the AG done? Not issuing new licenses? If you already have the lower isn't it already registered? I'm assuming Mass registers guns...

I wanted the 300 Blackout to run subsonics in the SBR, but they'll work in the 16" barrel too. Shooting 200-240 grain bullets at 950-1050 fps is like throwing bricks but its good out to around 100 yards and quite. A lot of people around here are using suppressed 300 Blk for deer these days. Ballistics for the 110 -150 grain supers are similar to what you get in a 7.62 x 39. After I get the SBR built I'll probably just run subs in it, and set the 16" up for Barnes 110 grain Tac-TX and run those those exclusively in that upper.

I've developed a "less is more" strategy with deer hunting....

I've found that high powered rifles (anything bigger than a 30-30 WCF or 7.62 x 39 Russian - is excessive and frequently doesn't have as good as knock down as some slower, less powerful rounds. Reasoning - if you use a good stable bullet that doesn't yaw much after entry - all you do is bore a hole in one side and out the other. Most of the energy of the bullet is lost when it passes through. While a 12 gauge doesn't do badly in this situation - as it's two BIG holes - a smaller caliber - like .30 - doesn't bleed a deer out quickly enough. The deer tend to run a fair bit...

I've had better luck with slower, larger calibers -- .357 and 10mm. More often than not - I find only one hole -- the entrance -- and a seriously deformed, and fractured bullet -- making numerous wound channels. All the energy of the bullet is expended. IMO -- the deer tend to run less - and frequently are "dead right there".....

Of course if you're hunting over 200 yards - all of that's null and void - as you need the stability of the bullet to make the shot....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
28-07-2016, 09:28 PM
(23-07-2016 09:39 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Nice shotgun, Chas.

Thanks. It was a bit of an impulse buy - it was on sale for about $600 off.
I would be losing money not buying it. Yes

Quote:What's the AG done? Not issuing new licenses? If you already have the lower isn't it already registered? I'm assuming Mass registers guns...

Massachusetts has its own "Assault Weapons Ban" law which clearly defines what is legal and what is not. The definitions are pretty arbitrary, even silly, but they are clear.
She has decided that the law says what she wants it to say not what it actually says, and stopped the sales of any AR-pattern rifle. She did it without notice, effective at midnight the next day.

Mass. doesn't register guns, per se, but records each transfer.

Quote:I wanted the 300 Blackout to run subsonics in the SBR, but they'll work in the 16" barrel too. Shooting 200-240 grain bullets at 950-1050 fps is like throwing bricks but its good out to around 100 yards and quite. A lot of people around here are using suppressed 300 Blk for deer these days. Ballistics for the 110 -150 grain supers are similar to what you get in a 7.62 x 39. After I get the SBR built I'll probably just run subs in it, and set the 16" up for Barnes 110 grain Tac-TX and run those those exclusively in that upper.

I decided to go with .300 AAC for my last lower; it's on its way from Hardened Arms in Washington.

[Image: 511201604111159amIMG_9759.jpg]

29-07-2016, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2016 09:11 AM by Popeye's Pappy.)
(28-07-2016 09:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  I decided to go with .300 AAC for my last lower; it's on its way from Hardened Arms in Washington.

It looks like the upper in the picture has a pistol length gas system. That is going to give you higher gas pressure than you would see in a longer system. Since it is 300 Blk the barrel probably has an over sized gas port too to allow for enough pressure to cycle the action with subsonic ammo. If it doesn't have an adjustable gas black you might or might have to play with different weight buffers to get it to run reliably with subsonics. That is going to be a given with supersonic ammo without the adjustable block. You might even have to go with a heavier recoil spring for the supers. You might have to do all the above just switching between different brands of ammo within the sub/supersonic range. You might also think about a Bravo Company extractor upgrade kit.

Otherwise once again, nice.

29-07-2016, 05:58 AM
I've never understood the allure of wildcat type rounds.....

I have enough problems finding 7.5 x 55 for my Swiss K31 and my .480 Ruger.......

I'd hate to have to look for brass for some of the wildcats.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-07-2016, 07:30 AM
The 300 Whisper is still considered a wildcat because there are no SAAMI specs for it, but the 300 Blackout has a SAAMI spec and is no longer considered a wildcat. Finished ammunition is available from several manufactures, and so is new and reformed brass. I bought 3 lbs of Accurate 1680, and picked up a thousand pieces of reformed brass made from once fired LC 5.56 brass from Carolina Brass for $0.18 each. Right now I have 3 different bullets I'm going try for subsonics. A 220 grain matchking, 220 grain pro hunter, and a 200 grain gameking. One of these days I'll get around to trying some cast bullets too. On the supersonic side I'll probably try the black tipped 110 grain Tac-TX from Barnes. It was designed specifically for the 300 Blackout, and everybody I have talked to about it has nothing for praise for it.

30-07-2016, 08:44 PM
(29-07-2016 05:48 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 09:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  I decided to go with .300 AAC for my last lower; it's on its way from Hardened Arms in Washington.

It looks like the upper in the picture has a pistol length gas system. That is going to give you higher gas pressure than you would see in a longer system. Since it is 300 Blk the barrel probably has an over sized gas port too to allow for enough pressure to cycle the action with subsonic ammo. If it doesn't have an adjustable gas black you might or might have to play with different weight buffers to get it to run reliably with subsonics. That is going to be a given with supersonic ammo without the adjustable block. You might even have to go with a heavier recoil spring for the supers. You might have to do all the above just switching between different brands of ammo within the sub/supersonic range. You might also think about a Bravo Company extractor upgrade kit.

Otherwise once again, nice.

I'm pretty sure it's a carbine-length gas system. Consider
That's a 16" barrel with a 10" free-float hand guard and a low profile gas block.

I picked up a couple of boxes of Remington 220 gr. OTFB (subsonic) and a couple of 120 gr. OTFB (supersonic). That should test the gas system reasonably well.

It should arrive in a week or two; they build them on order.