The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2016, 08:52 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(23-07-2016 09:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-07-2016 08:34 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I bought all the parts for the SBR except the barrel, and decided I didn't want to wait for my tax stamp to come back. So I picked up a 16" 300 blackout barrel with a pistol length gas system from KAK for another $100 and built this today.

[Image: 300%20Blk-16%20-%20800x448_zpsfiv00rtc.jpg]

Seekins Precision upper and lower receivers, bolt carrier group and 12" MCSR M-LOK rail. I put a Geissele SD-C trigger in it. The rest of the lower parts including the grip are Bravo Company. It's got their mod 4 charging handle too. The gas block is a low profile adjustable From JP. The pop ups are Troy battle sights. The mount is a QD Burris PERP, and the optic is a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24. I plan on running it with a direct threaded suppressor once that stamp comes in so I didn't buy a flash hider. The one that's mounted is a take off from a DPMS LR-308.

I still plan on doing the SBR when the tax stamp comes, but I'll probably buy a new upper and rail just like these and have two uppers in the 300 Blk.

I have one more lower + parts and am trying to decide on an upper. 300 Blackout? Consider

I've built three ARs, a 20" rifle, a 16" carbine in 5.56 and a 18" SPR in .223 Wylde.

But the latest foofaraw in Massachusetts with the attorney general over-stepping her authority and banning rifles that are clearly allowed in MA, the status of these is in limbo.
I don't think she'll get away with it, a federal court will nullify her order.

In other news, I picked up a new trap gun yesterday - Browning Citori 725 Pro Trap:

[Image: original.img.jpg]

It has a high rib and adjustable comb. I raised it about 1/2" and gave it about 5/16" cast off. It also has Grade II/IV wood - quite beautiful.
Tried it out this afternoon - there were broken clays littering the ground. Yes

Monday morning I'm seeing a gunsmith for fitting the gun - the stock needs to be shortened about an inch or so.

Yesterday I picked up my BT-99 from a different gunsmith. It had a wonky trigger that would vary the trigger pull force.
He polished some trigger parts that were rough or worn. I tried it with a snap cap - it feels good, crisper than before, but the proof is in the shooting.
Tomorrow morning it will go a few rounds.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2016, 09:36 PM
(30-07-2016 08:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm pretty sure it's a carbine-length gas system. Consider
That's a 16" barrel with a 10" free-float hand guard and a low profile gas block.

I picked up a couple of boxes of Remington 220 gr. OTFB (subsonic) and a couple of 120 gr. OTFB (supersonic). That should test the gas system reasonably well.

It should arrive in a week or two; they build them on order.

If this is the one you got it says pistol length in the description.

https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_511_31

It may not be a problem, but take a good look at your brass after you shoot a supersonic load and see if the extractor is marking (or worse) the case rims.

[Image: PA310020.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
30-07-2016, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2016 12:41 PM by Chas.)
(30-07-2016 09:36 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(30-07-2016 08:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm pretty sure it's a carbine-length gas system. Consider
That's a 16" barrel with a 10" free-float hand guard and a low profile gas block.

I picked up a couple of boxes of Remington 220 gr. OTFB (subsonic) and a couple of 120 gr. OTFB (supersonic). That should test the gas system reasonably well.

It should arrive in a week or two; they build them on order.

If this is the one you got it says pistol length in the description.

https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_511_31

It may not be a problem, but take a good look at your brass after you shoot a supersonic load and see if the extractor is marking (or worse) the case rims.

[Image: PA310020.jpg]

No, I got this one: https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_94_70

Edit: Not that one. You had it right.

30-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Let me know how it runs with the different types of ammo.

31-07-2016, 05:32 AM
(30-07-2016 10:33 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Let me know how it runs with the different types of ammo.

Definitely. This is the first .300 AAC I'll have owned and am quite curious about the performance.
In fact, I've never even fired a rifle in this caliber. Consider

31-07-2016, 06:35 AM
Do any of you guy use .30 caliber lead bullets??? I'm trying to work up a decent load for 30-06 using a cast 162 grain bullet with a gas check....

So far, the best I've done is with my 1917 Enfield pattern rifle - using 35 grains of Winchester 748..... About 3 inches at 100 yards.....

I'm not looking for high velocity -- just good accuracy....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Not in a 30-06 but I got some good results with both Trail Boss and Unique in a 30-40 Krag. What diameter is your bullet, and have you played around with seating depth?

31-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Bullets are lube/sized to .308.... Not doing anything with seating depth (yet) as it's got a seating canular.... I tried Unique first (as I buy the stuff in 8 lbs containers - so I always have plenty) -- and the groups were very unsatisfactory..... 9 or 10 inch at 100 yds...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-07-2016, 11:46 AM
First thing I'd try is sizing them to .310 or .311.

31-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Increasing seating pressure???

Nice thing about lead bullets -- you can do it and get away with it..... I remember reading in Hatcher's -- they did experiments with lead bullets -- putting larger and larger bullets down the same size barrel -- and all it'd do is squirt the bullet out.... Barrel pressures didn't even go up much..... It just made big fat bullets into long skinny ones....