The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2016, 11:56 AM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
I've always gotten better results from over sized cast bullets. .310-.311 seems to be the preferred size for most for a barrel that would usually use .308 jacketed bullets. If you aren't married to that bullet you might try something longer too.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2016, 12:00 PM
(31-07-2016 11:56 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I've always gotten better results from over sized cast bullets. .310-.311 seems to be the preferred size for most for a barrel that would usually use .308 jacketed bullets. If you aren't married to that bullet you might try something longer too.

Nope... Not married to it -- but that rifle seems to like about a 165 grain bullet..... (at least jacketed...)....

I'll look around and see if I can find a 180 g bullet mold...

Ya can't have too many...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Hi guys!
I don't want to disrupt your reloading conversation, just want to introduce myself.
I spent my entire life flying airplanes, but due to the schedules being so open, I also spent 8 years as a police officer, 4 of those on a SWAT entry team (narcotics). I grew up in Texas, and served in the Air Force. My entire family, except my mother and sister, served.
I grew up with guns, my father was a collector. I began my own collection, and to my surprise, when my father died he left me everything. My brothers apparently told him I would appreciate it more.

So, I own a small ranch in south Texas, retired from the airlines. I have a 300 yard range, and two walk in safes containing 349 firearms, according to my insurance form. I assume that is correct.

I have original Colt Dragoons and Walkers, as my dad loved them. Most of his stuff was historical in nature, while my own is more tactical. I have a rack of tricked out AR's, several tactical shotguns, and in the tax stamp section I own a real Thompson, a Mac 10 in .45, a MAC 11 in .380, uzi in 9mm, an MP5 in 9mm, and an M14 that is a blast to go all "mad minute" with.

I'm a master gunsmith, and have been building high end 1911's and AR's for 25 years or so.

I love 1911's, but if you dropped me in a hostile environment and told me I could have one pistol, and one pistol only, I would take a Glock. I was sent to Glock armorer and master armorer school by the sheriff, in Smyrna. Not a good looking gun, but goddamned reliable.

I don't reload anymore, although I still have a bench set up with a couple Dillon progressives on it...I find Federal Match King to be more than adequate for my current needs.

If y'all ever get down near San Antonio, look me up- come on over and we'll have some fun. I love showing off to folks- hell, that's why I collect, or partly, anyway. Just PM me through here and we'll set it up! I'll bet I have at least a few things you've never fired before!
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
31-07-2016, 12:45 PM
(30-07-2016 08:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yesterday I picked up my BT-99 from a different gunsmith. It had a wonky trigger that would vary the trigger pull force.
He polished some trigger parts that were rough or worn. I tried it with a snap cap - it feels good, crisper than before, but the proof is in the shooting.
Tomorrow morning it will go a few rounds.

Shot 4 rounds of trap with the BT-99 this morning: 21, 23, 23, 24.
The first round (21) I missed a couple because I fired too soon - the trigger pull is crisper than before.
I'm happy with it. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2016, 01:23 PM
(31-07-2016 12:33 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Hi guys!
I don't want to disrupt your reloading conversation, just want to introduce myself.
I spent my entire life flying airplanes, but due to the schedules being so open, I also spent 8 years as a police officer, 4 of those on a SWAT entry team (narcotics). I grew up in Texas, and served in the Air Force. My entire family, except my mother and sister, served.
I grew up with guns, my father was a collector. I began my own collection, and to my surprise, when my father died he left me everything. My brothers apparently told him I would appreciate it more.

So, I own a small ranch in south Texas, retired from the airlines. I have a 300 yard range, and two walk in safes containing 349 firearms, according to my insurance form. I assume that is correct.

I have original Colt Dragoons and Walkers, as my dad loved them. Most of his stuff was historical in nature, while my own is more tactical. I have a rack of tricked out AR's, several tactical shotguns, and in the tax stamp section I own a real Thompson, a Mac 10 in .45, a MAC 11 in .380, uzi in 9mm, an MP5 in 9mm, and an M14 that is a blast to go all "mad minute" with.

I'm a master gunsmith, and have been building high end 1911's and AR's for 25 years or so.

I love 1911's, but if you dropped me in a hostile environment and told me I could have one pistol, and one pistol only, I would take a Glock. I was sent to Glock armorer and master armorer school by the sheriff, in Smyrna. Not a good looking gun, but goddamned reliable.

I don't reload anymore, although I still have a bench set up with a couple Dillon progressives on it...I find Federal Match King to be more than adequate for my current needs.

If y'all ever get down near San Antonio, look me up- come on over and we'll have some fun. I love showing off to folks- hell, that's why I collect, or partly, anyway. Just PM me through here and we'll set it up! I'll bet I have at least a few things you've never fired before!

Me -- I'm partial to revolvers....

Probably because I'm too lazy to pick up brass...

Big Grin

I've owned a couple Glocks -- a 19 and a 20.... The 19 was nice and reliable but for some reason I had lots of trouble with the 10 mm. Lots of miss-feeds and miss-fires........I found both to be a bit clunky in the hand.... Tactical Tupperware....

Of course - 10mm feeds flawlessly through my 610 Smith....

Big Grin

I had one of the Auto Ordinance Thompsons.... (semi auto with a 16 inch barrel) -- It had it's good points and bad.... Bad -- I broke 3 firing pins in it... After it went back to the factory the second time -- they sent it back -- with two spares.. ...

The good -- it had the peep and v notch rear sight -- the V sighted to 100 yard, the peep 200 yard --- and the damned thing shot some very impressive groups -- with 230 grain lead bullets........ I got honest 5 inch groups at 200 yards on the peep -- and it was pretty dead on center......... I had no trouble selling that one -- guys had gave me their phone numbers -- and asked me to call if and when I got around to selling it...... It went on the second phone call...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-07-2016, 01:33 PM
(31-07-2016 12:33 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I'm a master gunsmith, and have been building high end 1911's and AR's for 25 years or so.

I've been thinking about picking up a STI frame and slide and trying my hand at a 1911. Any pointers?

Quote:If y'all ever get down near San Antonio, look me up- come on over and we'll have some fun. I love showing off to folks- hell, that's why I collect, or partly, anyway. Just PM me through here and we'll set it up!

Cool! Don't be surprised if take you up on that. I'm in Corpus regularily and try to make it up to San Antonio when I can to visit with SwRI. I'll be meeting with a couple of their guys middle of August, but that's here instead of their for change.

Quote:I'll bet I have at least a few things you've never fired before!

Always wanted to try a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range... Angel

31-07-2016, 03:20 PM
(31-07-2016 12:33 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Hi guys!

Duly noted Tongue

'Murican Canadian
31-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Quote:I've been thinking about picking up a STI frame and slide and trying my hand at a 1911. Any pointers?

I am very partial to the Les Baer frames, I don't remember ever building off an STI but I may have, they run together. Lots of pointers, depending on what you're trying to build. Commander frame and concealable, or are you wanting to build speed gun, a duty gun, or a show piece? What are your primary considerations?

Quote:Always wanted to try a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range... Angel
LOL don't have one of those, or a mini gun, which is on my bucket list. I do have an M82A1 you can try, if you like.
31-07-2016, 04:34 PM
Quote:I've owned a couple Glocks -- a 19 and a 20.... The 19 was nice and reliable but for some reason I had lots of trouble with the 10 mm. Lots of miss-feeds and miss-fires........I found both to be a bit clunky in the hand.... Tactical Tupperware....

When I first joined the sheriff's department, it was "run what you brung" as far as firearms went, We got an equipment allowance, you did what you want. I was straight up cocked-and-locked 1911, no hesitation.

Eventually, complaints started coming in because those of us carrying 1911's "had our hammers back in the holsters, dangerous situation, everyone knows better..blah blah etc."

I was the range officer and firearms instructor- that's one of the reasons the sheriff took me on even though my pilot schedule made him modify his schedule into a mess.

I was told we were going to department-issued weapons, and the decision had been made, beyond my pay grade, to go to the Glock 22 and 23, with the 27's as backups. (Uni's got the 22, detectives the 23 in a shoulder rig)

I fought like a wet weasel. Hated the idea of a goddamned plastic gun. So, the Sheriff sent me to armorer's school at Glock, in Smyrna Georgia. I later attended advanced amorer's school and Glock tactical there as well.

But my first trip, there were 15 of us in the class, broken into groups of 3 at each table. The instructor walked in, a female IPSC champion. She tossed a model 17 on each table, said "You've got an hour. Break them." She left.

We were all reluctant at first, feeling kind of...weird. But eventually we got into it, in the parking lot. Threw 'em, slid 'em, shot em out from under the back tire of one of the guy's pickup trucks into the curb.

Our hour was up, the instructor gathered us all up. She showed us slides of previous groups doing what we did...but many were much more inventive. The only damage out of 5 guns, one lost the front site, which you don't need on a Glock anyway.
We fired them all on the range, no problems at all. They have a model 17 there (this was in 1994) that had had over a million rounds through it without being cleaned. It had ONE stovepipe at about the 50,000 mark, and never again. They decided it was probably a light load or something.

They won't rust, even if you grind the black off. You can completely disassemble the gun with nothing but a 3/32 punch. Very simple.

So, I became a fan. I will admit that the 45 and 10mm are my least favorite Glocks- I believe the pressures - especially the 10mm- distort the frame slightly and can cause problems. Stay with .40 or 9mm, and you have a practically indestructible weapon that will ALWAYS go boom. I like that in a firearm.
31-07-2016, 09:48 PM
(31-07-2016 04:13 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:I've been thinking about picking up a STI frame and slide and trying my hand at a 1911. Any pointers?

I am very partial to the Les Baer frames, I don't remember ever building off an STI but I may have, they run together. Lots of pointers, depending on what you're trying to build. Commander frame and concealable, or are you wanting to build speed gun, a duty gun, or a show piece? What are your primary considerations?

Quote:Always wanted to try a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range... Angel
LOL don't have one of those, or a mini gun, which is on my bucket list. I do have an M82A1 you can try, if you like.

Well that's one answer already. You prefer Les Baer. I've got a friend that builds competition race guns He prefers STI, but he mostly builds race guns. To answer your question it would be a duty gun.

Why go mini when you could go GAU-19?

Or my bucket list gun a GAU-8... You don't know where I could pick up an A-10 for cheap to mount one in do you?

[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post