The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2015, 12:45 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(29-06-2015 12:32 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I went to work for a custom rifle builder when I was 16. I actually started shooting when I was 5 so I've been at it for 63 years. My mother was a competitive handgun shooter and she got me started with handguns when I was 5. Ultimately, I developed a fondness for wildcatting rifle cartridges and I still do that a little bit today. I think I have about 70 rifles and probably ten or so are wildcats. I also have about 30 handguns and there was a period of a few years when most of my big game hunting was done with handguns. These days I still hunt, with rifles, but most of my shooting is done at paper targets out to 1,000 yards from a bench rest where I can sit down without working up a sweat.

My horse and I MAY hunt elk again this year. He loves to go hunting and there is a nice elk herd about a mile from my ranch in the national forest. However, even with my horse's help, moving an 800-900 pound elk [cut into quarters] off the mountain to my truck is exhausting work.

The first time I killed a moose myself, without my stepfather present to help me with cleaning it up and getting it home, it took me so long to get it done the only thing that was on my side was the fact that it was cold enough that I didn't have to worry about it starting to spoil and could use a big sled to haul portions of it back. Until I got bigger, I started to develop a preference for smaller game like rabbits Tongue

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
29-06-2015, 12:46 PM
(29-06-2015 12:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 09:51 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  About time someone started one of these. I'm originally from the south and although I don't like the majority of the things that come from there the love of guns rubbed off. Deep down I'm country as hell but just not a dumbed down idiot. Anyway, GUNS.

Thanks to the lovely state of maryland and their very strict laws(it's not bad if you become a collector like I have) it is kind of frowned upon to have a decent sized arsenal.

I currently have a remington 783 30-06, Ruger p22. 22. Those are what I have here while I'm working on getting my weapons from my parents house in mississippi.

We have started a couple of these. It never goes well. Dodgy

Let me guess someone starts a debate?
29-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Debate??

More like diatribe...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-06-2015, 09:32 PM
(29-06-2015 12:32 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I went to work for a custom rifle builder when I was 16. I actually started shooting when I was 5 so I've been at it for 63 years. My mother was a competitive handgun shooter and she got me started with handguns when I was 5. Ultimately, I developed a fondness for wildcatting rifle cartridges and I still do that a little bit today. I think I have about 70 rifles and probably ten or so are wildcats. I also have about 30 handguns and there was a period of a few years when most of my big game hunting was done with handguns. These days I still hunt, with rifles, but most of my shooting is done at paper targets out to 1,000 yards from a bench rest where I can sit down without working up a sweat.

My horse and I MAY hunt elk again this year. He loves to go hunting and there is a nice elk herd about a mile from my ranch in the national forest. However, even with my horse's help, moving an 800-900 pound elk [cut into quarters] off the mountain to my truck is exhausting work.

Let me pose a question.

It would seem possible to convert a rifle chambered for .32 H&R Magnum to .327 Federal Magnum. Would it be straightforward and would the result be strong enough for the cartridge?

[Image: 327federalmagnum.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-06-2015, 10:54 PM
Converting is more hassle than it's worth to me, which is a shame because 8MM Mauser Ammo dried up years ago. I don't need to shoot it often as I am not a hunter, but it's been near impossible to get .22's for a few years now, at least without paying an arm and a leg. I bought a second .22 last year because it was a "good deal", but it ain't if you can't shoot the damn thing. I don't know what I was thinking. Lucky for me I did get to go berserk with the M-16 this year. We had qualifications this year - half the people who signed up didn't show, and it's more difficult to save Uncle Sam money than it is for 'fanfare fire'. We lost a lot of good paper men that weekend.

29-06-2015, 11:05 PM
(29-06-2015 09:04 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 08:49 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The year was 1973 I believe. I was only allowed to use those three guns. The .303 stopped it in its tracks. Smile

As a .303 would.

I prefer .308 for a rifle.
I used a .308 once at a gun club. It was a school activity that I choose to do.
It was decades ago, but according to my memory I was surprised that firing the rifle sounded and felt somewhat like firing a shotgun.
As I recall the bullet went through a thick piece of iron.

At the end of our school activity (it went once a week for a few weeks), I got my firearms license. During the process, I went to the police station in my heavy metal t-shirt to apply and not surprisingly he choose to contact my references.

But then, after I got my firearms license they changed the law, licenses no longer lasted a lifetime and needed to be renewed (at cost) every few years. I never bought a firearm and so I let my license expire.
30-06-2015, 05:50 AM
(29-06-2015 09:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Let me pose a question.

It would seem possible to convert a rifle chambered for .32 H&R Magnum to .327 Federal Magnum. Would it be straightforward and would the result be strong enough for the cartridge?

Nope....

While the chamber wouldn't be a problem - it's simply reaming it deeper --- the action would be the problem. Most likely you wouldn't have any problem with pressure - as most guns that are built for .32 are generally built for larger cartridges as well.

The problem will probably be the bolt will not draw back far enough to clear the cartridge out of the magazine.

You might re-barrel something chambered to 32-20 using a barrel for .32 H+R mag and the bolt (so the bolt face/extractor mate up)..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-06-2015, 05:55 AM
(29-06-2015 10:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Converting is more hassle than it's worth to me, which is a shame because 8MM Mauser Ammo dried up years ago. I don't need to shoot it often as I am not a hunter, but it's been near impossible to get .22's for a few years now, at least without paying an arm and a leg. I bought a second .22 last year because it was a "good deal", but it ain't if you can't shoot the damn thing. I don't know what I was thinking. Lucky for me I did get to go berserk with the M-16 this year. We had qualifications this year - half the people who signed up didn't show, and it's more difficult to save Uncle Sam money than it is for 'fanfare fire'. We lost a lot of good paper men that weekend.

About 12 years ago - I bought out the local Wal-Mart on all the boxes of Federal 22lr in the 550 round boxes -- and paid 8.96 a box.

As I recall, I got 50 boxes.

I sold "a few" Smile

for $40 a box - when everyone else was asking $100.

I haven't paid to shoot my 22 for years and I still shoot it quite a bit...

Smile

30-06-2015, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2015 07:26 AM by Chas.)
(30-06-2015 05:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 09:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Let me pose a question.

Nope....

While the chamber wouldn't be a problem - it's simply reaming it deeper --- the action would be the problem. Most likely you wouldn't have any problem with pressure - as most guns that are built for .32 are generally built for larger cartridges as well.

The problem will probably be the bolt will not draw back far enough to clear the cartridge out of the magazine.

You might re-barrel something chambered to 32-20 using a barrel for .32 H+R mag and the bolt (so the bolt face/extractor mate up)..

The .327 cartridge is only 1/8" longer than the .32 H&R. Dodgy
I was thinking lever-action like an 1894. I have one in .357/.38 and it's a handy rifle.

[Image: 705120_01_winchester_model_94_ranger_com_640.jpg]

30-06-2015, 07:29 AM
(30-06-2015 05:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 10:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Converting is more hassle than it's worth to me, which is a shame because 8MM Mauser Ammo dried up years ago. I don't need to shoot it often as I am not a hunter, but it's been near impossible to get .22's for a few years now, at least without paying an arm and a leg. I bought a second .22 last year because it was a "good deal", but it ain't if you can't shoot the damn thing. I don't know what I was thinking. Lucky for me I did get to go berserk with the M-16 this year. We had qualifications this year - half the people who signed up didn't show, and it's more difficult to save Uncle Sam money than it is for 'fanfare fire'. We lost a lot of good paper men that weekend.

About 12 years ago - I bought out the local Wal-Mart on all the boxes of Federal 22lr in the 550 round boxes -- and paid 8.96 a box.

As I recall, I got 50 boxes.

I sold "a few" Smile

for $40 a box - when everyone else was asking $100.

I haven't paid to shoot my 22 for years and I still shoot it quite a bit...

Smile

You were fortunate to get there before the hoarders. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post