The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2016, 09:38 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(01-08-2016 05:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-08-2016 04:29 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  6000 rounds a minute at $0.30 a round is $30 a second. Yep. Pricey.

You could go the New manufacture Colt 1877 Bulldog Gatling Gun route. At about $60K (probably less if you shopped around) up front cost would be less. At a $1.50 a round for 45-70 ammo is more expensive per round, but at 1000 rounds a minute it's only $25 a second so it takes a few more seconds to go broke.

Where can I get some 7.62x51 for $0.30/round? I'd like a couple thousand rounds at that price. Steel-cased junk not wanted.

Fraid you're gona hafta buy a container full from IMI to get that price.

But if you're interested the CMP is selling 168 Federal Gold Medal Match for $196 for 200 and 500 rounds of Federal M80 for a little less than $0.64 each.

This place has some off brand for $0.55 each for boxes of 20. and This place has some 70s-80s head stamp Austrian for $0.52.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2016, 05:45 AM
(01-08-2016 05:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-08-2016 04:29 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  6000 rounds a minute at $0.30 a round is $30 a second. Yep. Pricey.

You could go the New manufacture Colt 1877 Bulldog Gatling Gun route. At about $60K (probably less if you shopped around) up front cost would be less. At a $1.50 a round for 45-70 ammo is more expensive per round, but at 1000 rounds a minute it's only $25 a second so it takes a few more seconds to go broke.

Where can I get some 7.62x51 for $0.30/round? I'd like a couple thousand rounds at that price. Steel-cased junk not wanted.

I remember when we used to buy 7,62 x 39 (russian) for just under 5 cents a round..... It came in a case which had two 770 round "spam cans" -- with the ammo all on stripper clips -- which we used to throw away... (EVERYTHING came on stripper clips -- what could you use an empty one for???) The only thing cheaper to shoot was .22......

We scared the shit out of the UPS guy -- we ordered the shit by the pallet load... He thought we were starting a war.......

It did sorta sound like it at times... If you go out back near our big backstop -- you can dig down and find a layer of steel -- spent casings and stripper clips....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Here's a pallet for about $.17 a round.

Prior to the first assault weapons you could pick up a case of SKS rifles for about $40 each.

These days this case of Yugos will run you $400 each if you buy the case.

[Image: yugo-sks-crate2.png]

02-08-2016, 07:53 AM
The Yugos were certainly better than the Chinese ones -- but were behind the Russian or Albanian ones.......... I've only seen a few Albanian (Easily identified by the curved bolt like an AK - rather than the usual "bulb"...) SKS's --- but all shot exceptionally well..

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-08-2016, 11:59 AM
That sure brings back memories...the $40 SKS. EVERYONE had an SKS or 9 back then. Finally the aftermarket started supporting them and you could build a pretty cool looking weapon out of them, which made them a lot easier to sell and to raise the price on. I don't know that the quality actually went up that much to match, but I never thought they were that bad to begin with. But dress it up in tactical dress and it will sell to the masses.
02-08-2016, 02:48 PM
(02-08-2016 11:59 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  That sure brings back memories...the $40 SKS. EVERYONE had an SKS or 9 back then. Finally the aftermarket started supporting them and you could build a pretty cool looking weapon out of them, which made them a lot easier to sell and to raise the price on. I don't know that the quality actually went up that much to match, but I never thought they were that bad to begin with. But dress it up in tactical dress and it will sell to the masses.

I've got one particularly nice Russian one -- laminate stock --- and it shoots exceptionally well for an SKS. With pretty much any ammo I put through it - and with standard iron sights it'll do 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups, right on center at 100 yards - all day...

Gotta love it...

03-08-2016, 04:54 PM
A little project me and another guy have been working on at work in our spare time. This is the first prototype of a custom cut foam insert for a Pelican Storm IM3100 hard case.

[Image: 300%20Blk%20Foam%20800x450_zpsvcqkalrf.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
04-08-2016, 05:45 AM
(03-08-2016 04:54 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  A little project me and another guy have been working on at work in our spare time. This is the first prototype of a custom cut foam insert for a Pelican Storm IM3100 hard case.

[Image: 300%20Blk%20Foam%20800x450_zpsvcqkalrf.jpg]

What kind of foam are you using?
I've got a nice Zero case for my Browning, but the foam is a little wimpy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2016, 05:55 AM
It's 4 lb cross linked polyethylene. It's pretty stiff. It was left over from a project where we were kitting helicopter transmission parts. We have already decided that if we buy any more for this application it will be 2 lb density. Most, but not all, of the people doing similar stuff are through cutting their foam with a water jet. We are using a CNC router which gives us control over the depth of the cut.

04-08-2016, 06:12 AM
(04-08-2016 05:55 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  It's 4 lb cross linked polyethylene. It's pretty stiff. It was left over from a project where we were kitting helicopter transmission parts. We have already decided that if we buy any more for this application it will be 2 lb density. Most, but not all, of the people doing similar stuff are through cutting their foam with a water jet. We are using a CNC router which gives us control over the depth of the cut.

One trick I learned doing custom work years ago --- I had to machine urethane foam -- for making transport packaging for delicate instruments.... It needed to be relatively high accuracy (for foam..) +/- .01 inch -- turned on a lathe....

I ended up dipping the stock in liquid nitrogen for a minute on a mandrel --- then chucking it up and spinning it at the lathe's highest speed (1400 rpm)....

Had to wear protective gear for the cloud/spray that flew off...... Sorta a weird way to make a fog machine - but it worked...

Big Grin