The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2016, 08:45 AM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
Quote:ended up dipping the stock in liquid nitrogen for a minute on a mandrel --- then chucking it up and spinning it at the lathe's highest speed (1400 rpm)....

Wow...that's impressive, I'm going to have to give that a try. We do a lot of fabrication in my hotrod shop, from metal to fiberglas/carbon fiber. We use a lot of foam, especially the binary stuff- make your piece, cover it in glass or cf, then dump a little gasoline in to dissolve the foam out and clean it all up.
I've had problems making some particularly complex pieces that even a hot knife has trouble with...I'm thinking liquid nitrogen and a high speed grinder might work, if you can lathe it. hmmm...thanks, OLB.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2016, 10:13 AM
(04-08-2016 08:45 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:ended up dipping the stock in liquid nitrogen for a minute on a mandrel --- then chucking it up and spinning it at the lathe's highest speed (1400 rpm)....

Wow...that's impressive, I'm going to have to give that a try. We do a lot of fabrication in my hotrod shop, from metal to fiberglas/carbon fiber. We use a lot of foam, especially the binary stuff- make your piece, cover it in glass or cf, then dump a little gasoline in to dissolve the foam out and clean it all up.
I've had problems making some particularly complex pieces that even a hot knife has trouble with...I'm thinking liquid nitrogen and a high speed grinder might work, if you can lathe it. hmmm...thanks, OLB.

I ended up making my turning bit out of a carpet knife blade....

Trick is - you only have about 15 seconds of machining time -- (less for thin pieces) -- as the foam turns soft again quickly as it warms up.... An NC or CNC machine would be nice...

I had it set up with an arbor with a dog on it -- which went up between center on a 13 inch engine lathe... I could load the piece in under 2 seconds - and have a good 10 seconds for machining..... You do use a fair bit of liquid nitrogen... Fortunately - it's not horribly expensive... Use welding gear - and a full face mask to prevent freezer burning yourself...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Quote:You do use a fair bit of liquid nitrogen... Fortunately - it's not horribly expensive... Use welding gear - and a full face mask to prevent freezer burning yourself...

Yes, we use liquid nitrogen now and then for various things, we're familiar with handling it, I had never thought of flash freezing foam so I could carve it more accurately though- that's brilliant!
05-08-2016, 01:04 PM
I've only cut the foam for my cases by hand - I feel so low-tech. Weeping

But, then, I don't have a CNC machine in my basement.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2016, 06:11 AM
Due to law changes here in Michigan - we're now allowed to use rifles chambered in a pistol-proprietary cartridges (which must be =or> .357, straight walled) for whitetail deer.

So I picked up an H+R single rifle in .357 Mag...

I got three deer with it last year -- and I was shooting about 4 inch groups at 100 yard.... I made my longest shot (not quite a "hail mary" ) at 125 yards... All three deer dropped, and didn't run.....

So I've been getting some practice -- burnishing the barrel a bit (just by firing and cleaning) and I'm getting better groups. 3 times in a row - I've gotten 3 shot groups under 1 1/2 inches.

The odd thing -- it shoots better from a dirty barrel. I've heard people say they have guns that do - -but it's a first for me. I've always gotten best groups out of a freshly swabbed barrel. The 12 gauge I hunt with, the accuracy suffers horribly on a dirty barrel -- possibly because I shoot sabotted rounds through it.p

The .357 - I'm shooting a 140 grain Hornady FTX bullet (it's a hollow point (XTP) bullet with a plastic insert in the point to make it a spitzer). I just picked up some new Starline brass - and am using Remington primers with 11 grains of 2400 powder. I was using 15 grains 2400 - but the groups weren't quite as good.

The goal -- to try and match load this load -- and get down to MOA accuracy...

I'll be happy with a 3 inch group at 200 yards.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-08-2016, 09:25 AM
(08-08-2016 06:11 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Due to law changes here in Michigan - we're now allowed to use rifles chambered in a pistol-proprietary cartridges (which must be =or> .357, straight walled) for whitetail deer.

I got three deer with it last year -- and I was shooting about 4 inch groups at 100 yard.... I made my longest shot (not quite a "hail mary" ) at 125 yards... All three deer dropped, and didn't run.....

So I've been getting some practice -- burnishing the barrel a bit (just by firing and cleaning) and I'm getting better groups. 3 times in a row - I've gotten 3 shot groups under 1 1/2 inches.

The odd thing -- it shoots better from a dirty barrel. I've heard people say they have guns that do - -but it's a first for me. I've always gotten best groups out of a freshly swabbed barrel. The 12 gauge I hunt with, the accuracy suffers horribly on a dirty barrel -- possibly because I shoot sabotted rounds through it.p

The .357 - I'm shooting a 140 grain Hornady FTX bullet (it's a hollow point (XTP) bullet with a plastic insert in the point to make it a spitzer). I just picked up some new Starline brass - and am using Remington primers with 11 grains of 2400 powder. I was using 15 grains 2400 - but the groups weren't quite as good.

Big Grin

I wish Massachusetts would legalize pistol-caliber rifles for hunting. My Winchester 94 Trapper in .357 Mag is ready and waiting.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-08-2016, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 11:18 AM by The Dark One.)
Quote:The goal -- to try and match load this load -- and get down to MOA accuracy...

The Marlin .357 lever action carbine is a staple in west Texas...common in every gun rack. 1" or less at 100 yds is easily doable, in my experience. The .44 version is much less accurate, but .357 is a tack driver.
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
08-08-2016, 10:09 AM
(08-08-2016 09:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 06:11 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Due to law changes here in Michigan - we're now allowed to use rifles chambered in a pistol-proprietary cartridges (which must be =or> .357, straight walled) for whitetail deer.

Big Grin

I wish Massachusetts would legalize pistol-caliber rifles for hunting. My Winchester 94 Trapper in .357 Mag is ready and waiting.

I really kick myself in the ass now for not picking up one of the Winchester 9410's when they were "cheap"... When I worked at the gun shop I could have gotten a new one for $400...... That'd be a hoot to hunt with -- and you could get it re-barreled for 454 Casull... (meaning rifled, instead of smooth bore -- then you could should .410, 45 Colt and 454 Casull...)

08-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Quote:454 Casull..

I'm in the hospital right now, I'll have to post a pic when I get out, but my dad left me this huge framed 6 shot revolver, in 454 casull. Looks a bit like a peacemaker on steroids. I don't know much about it, my father said he bought it years ago from a custom gunsmith who had built it for a customer who never picked it up. It's a handful and a half, for sure. Beautiful gun, if oddly proportioned.
Ever hear of anything like that?
08-08-2016, 12:25 PM
(08-08-2016 11:26 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:454 Casull..

I'm in the hospital right now, I'll have to post a pic when I get out, but my dad left me this huge framed 6 shot revolver, in 454 casull. Looks a bit like a peacemaker on steroids. I don't know much about it, my father said he bought it years ago from a custom gunsmith who had built it for a customer who never picked it up. It's a handful and a half, for sure. Beautiful gun, if oddly proportioned.
Ever hear of anything like that?

Yup... Most likely a Magnum Research BFR (big fuckin' revolver) if it's older....

If newer - Ruger has the Super Blackhawk chambered in it...

errrp...

Just remembered -- the BFR is a 5 shot.... You sure it's 6???

And whatcha doing in the body shop??

I've shot the Super Redhawk in 454 -- in a word -- punishing.....