The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2016, 12:05 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(05-09-2016 11:42 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 11:35 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  It's 4 lb. cross linked polyethylene foam. Water proof and resistant to many solvents. The 4 lb. density is probably denser that what would be optimal for this application, but we have a a bunch of it left over from a previous project where we kitted helicopter transmission parts prior to assembly.

[Image: ljMOZAd.jpg]

I agree, that is a great setup. I have taken aluminum rectangular guitar cases and put a high density foam in them, then razor-bladed places for three M4's to snuggle, and it works great. But you have a very clean and tight fit there...that is a very marketable product, if you were so inclined. ShockingBig Grin

We are going to see if we can generate some interest, but engineering costs are probably going to put one offs out of the reach for most people. With cost of materials, labor and machine time alone we'd have to get about $200 for a set of foam to make it profitable. That's NOT a huge margin either. Add engineering, probably looking at about $1600 for a single scoped rifle, and another $200 for a prototype and we are probably looking at $2K for a 1 off case insert. Case not included. I'm going to see if I can't interest a few retailers/manufacturers into something where we could multiples of the same layout.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2016, 12:08 PM
(05-09-2016 12:05 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 11:42 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I agree, that is a great setup. I have taken aluminum rectangular guitar cases and put a high density foam in them, then razor-bladed places for three M4's to snuggle, and it works great. But you have a very clean and tight fit there...that is a very marketable product, if you were so inclined. ShockingBig Grin

We are going to see if we can generate some interest, but engineering costs are probably going to put one offs out of the reach for most people. With cost of materials, labor and machine time alone we'd have to get about $200 for a set of foam to make it profitable. That's NOT a huge margin either. Add engineering, probably looking at about $1600 for a single scoped rifle, and another $200 for a prototype and we are probably looking at $2K for a 1 off case insert. Case not included. I'm going to see if I can't interest a few retailers/manufacturers into something where we could multiples of the same layout.

Couldn't you 3D print them?

#sigh
05-09-2016, 12:14 PM
(05-09-2016 12:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Couldn't you 3D print them?

Probably but I'm not sure what that would buy us. Engineering cost would be the same either way, and I don't know if printing materials would be as good for kind of application as foam.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
05-09-2016, 12:17 PM
(05-09-2016 11:44 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I feel like I've seen this before Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
05-09-2016, 01:45 PM
(05-09-2016 12:05 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 11:42 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I agree, that is a great setup. I have taken aluminum rectangular guitar cases and put a high density foam in them, then razor-bladed places for three M4's to snuggle, and it works great. But you have a very clean and tight fit there...that is a very marketable product, if you were so inclined. ShockingBig Grin

The easiest way - would be to make an "emergency mold" - type mold and shoot the foam in....

You'll have to make an insert for the mold that approximates the rifle - with a "halving plate" that centers on the insert (or you can make one side flush) -- then all you'd have to do for each type rifle you want to make a case for, is make that insert.....

With CAD/CAM engineering - you could easily make the insert out of cast Delrin or other machinable plastic.....

Once set up -- you could easily make 4 or 5 case linings per hour...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-09-2016, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2016 08:54 PM by Full Circle.)
I’m so disappointed.

I found a revolver in my MIL’s safe, I had never heard of the maker, Röhm Gesellschaft, and did some research. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Röhm_Gesellschaft

My cousin called a few gun collectors he knows and the pronouncement was “junk”.
Apparently not worth the metal to make. Too bad.

PS the only interesting side note is that the RG14 like the one I found is the same make and model that was used to try and assassinate Reagan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Röhm_...on_gun.jpg

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
17-09-2016, 09:01 PM
(17-09-2016 08:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m so disappointed.

I found a revolver in my MIL’s safe, I had never heard of the maker, Röhm Gesellschaft, and did some research. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Röhm_Gesellschaft

My cousin called a few gun collectors he knows and the pronouncement was “junk”.

PS the only interesting side note is that the RG14 like the one I found is the same make and model that was used to try and assassinate Reagan.

it even looks like a junk gun.
17-09-2016, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2016 11:21 PM by Full Circle.)
(17-09-2016 09:01 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 08:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m so disappointed.

it even looks like a junk gun.

Does it even meet the standard for a Saturday Night Special? Sad

I’ll have to stick with my S&W .357 Magnum
[Image: _DSC0007.JPG]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
17-09-2016, 11:19 PM
perfectly, I am sure.
18-09-2016, 03:44 AM
When I absolutely, positively want to turn someone inside-out from a mile and a half away... Evil_monster

[Image: 2yuy8ox.jpg]