The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2016, 06:52 AM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(17-09-2016 08:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m so disappointed.

I found a revolver in my MIL’s safe, I had never heard of the maker, Röhm Gesellschaft, and did some research. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Röhm_Gesellschaft

My cousin called a few gun collectors he knows and the pronouncement was “junk”.
Apparently not worth the metal to make. Too bad.

PS the only interesting side note is that the RG14 like the one I found is the same make and model that was used to try and assassinate Reagan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Röhm_...on_gun.jpg

"Junk" is being kind....

I was given one many years ago by a neighbor who just wanted to get rid of it....

It was in 22 LR. I shot it once - saw the amount of lead it was shaving (the cylinder and barrel not lining up when the trigger is pulled) -- so I cut it in half with an acytelene torch and tossed it.......

Best thing to do.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2016, 07:05 AM
I'm thinking of getting a shotgun for home defense. Preferably sometíng small enough that my wife could also use without hurting her shoulder. Any suggestions?
18-09-2016, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2016 07:22 AM by onlinebiker.)
(18-09-2016 07:05 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I'm thinking of getting a shotgun for home defense. Preferably sometíng small enough that my wife could also use without hurting her shoulder. Any suggestions?

Hard to go wrong with a Remington 870 for the money.... The Mossberg 500 while popular - is kind of a junky gun - and doesn't hold up as well as the 870.....

Go 20 gauge...... It's a great plenty for self defense - without the punishing recoil of a higher powered 12 gauge....

Added bonus --you can get more than one barrel length -- it's a 15 second job - no tools needed -- to change barrels............

A 16 inch barrel makes the gun nice and compact for "indoor" use....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-09-2016, 08:34 AM
I wish guns were legal for self defence over here. You yanks are extremely lucky. Even pepper spray and tazers are illegal over here.
18-09-2016, 09:29 AM
(18-09-2016 07:05 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I'm thinking of getting a shotgun for home defense. Preferably sometíng small enough that my wife could also use without hurting her shoulder. Any suggestions?

How big is she? How much shooting has she done?

If she is small and hasn't done much shooting then an 18" barreled 870 youth model in 20 gauge, or even an 18" Mossberg 510 mini in 410. If she doesn't have a lot of upper body strength you might not want a long gun at all. She might be better off with an aluminium framed 4" 1911 in 9mm.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
18-09-2016, 11:03 AM
When I was with SWAT, our commander carried a SAIGA shotgun in 410. It was all tricked out, but I still thought he was nuts. I carried an MP5 and a 1911, usually, and occasionally a Mossberg or Rem 870 in 12ga.

Then after a long training session in the live fire house, I was giving him shit about it- just having fun- when he said "Allright, assshole- Run through the course right now with this Saiga and then we'll talk."
I laughed, but he was serious. I soon figured out why. The Saiga .410, loaded with slugs, was like shooting warm butter. Every .45 caliber slug that I fired felt like I was shooting a pellet gun- zero recoil, smooth, fast, pointable, and with an aftermarket /collapsible stock, you could really shorten it up for CQB, and hang whatever you wanted off the pickatinny rail system.

I ended up buying 5 of them, tricking em out, and giving one to each of my kids when they got their own places, one to my wife, and one for my truck.

It sounds funny, but don't laugh until you try one. You honestly feel like you're shooting a dart gun or something, there is just zero recoil, and it functions as smoothly as glass-and since it's essentially an AK chassis, it will tolerate handfuls of dirt and rocks and mud, and just keep on chugging.
I like to add a green laser and a scorpion light, and it stays lightweight and low profile with excellent CQB sighting.
18-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Quote:The Mossberg 500 while popular - is kind of a junky gun - and doesn't hold up as well as the 870.....

This was true in the past, but if you get a chance try the Mossberg ATI Tactical and 590A1 Tactical models...they are damned impressive. I actually prefer them over the 870- which is an old and dear friend- as well as the Extreme Defender.
We tested 9 different models- quite rigorously- for a year, in SWAT. All of the high end tactical shotguns did well, but there were two clear standouts, the Saiga and the ATI Tactical.
18-09-2016, 11:22 AM
(18-09-2016 11:19 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:The Mossberg 500 while popular - is kind of a junky gun - and doesn't hold up as well as the 870.....

This was true in the past, but if you get a chance try the Mossberg ATI Tactical and 590A1 Tactical models...they are damned impressive. I actually prefer them over the 870- which is an old and dear friend- as well as the Extreme Defender.
We tested 9 different models- quite rigorously- for a year, in SWAT. All of the high end tactical shotguns did well, but there were two clear standouts, the Saiga and the ATI Tactical.

Don't laugh -- but I"m a big fan of the J.C. Higgins pump - sold through Sears up till the 1970's....

It's a "store branded" High Standard model 200. And unlike cheaper pumps - it's an all steel construction.

My dad owns the first one I ever seen - and I wouldn't even want to guess how many tens of thousands of rounds have been through that gun.....

I own 5 of them......

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
18-09-2016, 01:05 PM
(18-09-2016 11:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(18-09-2016 11:19 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  This was true in the past, but if you get a chance try the Mossberg ATI Tactical and 590A1 Tactical models...they are damned impressive. I actually prefer them over the 870- which is an old and dear friend- as well as the Extreme Defender.

Don't laugh -- but I"m a big fan of the J.C. Higgins pump - sold through Sears up till the 1970's....

It's a "store branded" High Standard model 200. And unlike cheaper pumps - it's an all steel construction.

My dad owns the first one I ever seen - and I wouldn't even want to guess how many tens of thousands of rounds have been through that gun.....

I own 5 of them......

I'll have to look to be sure, but I think I have one or more of them- I know I have several Sears guns- a really nice .22 hornet single shot they sold in the mid 50's is one. I have a few montgomery wards guns, as well, and I have two .32 rifles that were sold under the Western Auto moniker back in the early 50's. These are the only .32 rifles I think I've ever seen. The story was that there was a huge surplus of .32 ammo after WWII, because soldiers wanted the stopping power of the .45, so these .32 rifles were marketed as small game guns. Obviously they flopped, but they are very high quality guns.

It's amazing what's out there- and some of the oddball stuff is remarkably well made. I really enjoy collecting the stuff that makes you do a double take, lol.

I saw a 5 shot revolver RIFLE that shot 12 gauge shotgun, at a gun show in Minnesota back in about 1989. It was a factory made weapon, but I don't remember the company. I didn't have the cash for it at the time, and have been looking for one ever since...I find very occasional references to it but no hard data. Ever heard of it? It had a cylinder, just like any revolver, but in a rifle- there are a number of different revolving rifles- but this was 5 shot 12 ga.
18-09-2016, 01:05 PM
(18-09-2016 06:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 08:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m so disappointed.

I found a revolver in my MIL’s safe, I had never heard of the maker, Röhm Gesellschaft, and did some research. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Röhm_Gesellschaft

My cousin called a few gun collectors he knows and the pronouncement was “junk”.
Apparently not worth the metal to make. Too bad.

PS the only interesting side note is that the RG14 like the one I found is the same make and model that was used to try and assassinate Reagan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Röhm_...on_gun.jpg

"Junk" is being kind....

I was given one many years ago by a neighbor who just wanted to get rid of it....

It was in 22 LR. I shot it once - saw the amount of lead it was shaving (the cylinder and barrel not lining up when the trigger is pulled) -- so I cut it in half with an acytelene torch and tossed it.......

Best thing to do.....

Or maybe turn it in at a gun buy back, for a gift card.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post