The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2016, 01:30 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(18-09-2016 01:05 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(18-09-2016 06:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "Junk" is being kind....

I was given one many years ago by a neighbor who just wanted to get rid of it....

It was in 22 LR. I shot it once - saw the amount of lead it was shaving (the cylinder and barrel not lining up when the trigger is pulled) -- so I cut it in half with an acytelene torch and tossed it.......

Best thing to do.....

Or maybe turn it in at a gun buy back, for a gift card.

Nah, give it to a little gangster. It'll explode in his face, maybe take out several of the little bastards!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
18-09-2016, 01:34 PM
(18-09-2016 11:03 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  When I was with SWAT, our commander carried a SAIGA shotgun in 410. It was all tricked out, but I still thought he was nuts. I carried an MP5 and a 1911, usually, and occasionally a Mossberg or Rem 870 in 12ga.

Then after a long training session in the live fire house, I was giving him shit about it- just having fun- when he said "Allright, assshole- Run through the course right now with this Saiga and then we'll talk."
I laughed, but he was serious. I soon figured out why. The Saiga .410, loaded with slugs, was like shooting warm butter. Every .45 caliber slug that I fired felt like I was shooting a pellet gun- zero recoil, smooth, fast, pointable, and with an aftermarket /collapsible stock, you could really shorten it up for CQB, and hang whatever you wanted off the pickatinny rail system.

I ended up buying 5 of them, tricking em out, and giving one to each of my kids when they got their own places, one to my wife, and one for my truck.

It sounds funny, but don't laugh until you try one. You honestly feel like you're shooting a dart gun or something, there is just zero recoil, and it functions as smoothly as glass-and since it's essentially an AK chassis, it will tolerate handfuls of dirt and rocks and mud, and just keep on chugging.
I like to add a green laser and a scorpion light, and it stays lightweight and low profile with excellent CQB sighting.

I thought about a Saiga 410 when I was making my post, but they weigh almost 2 lbs more than the 510 minis.

Mom has a couple of single sisters in Nashville. For years they kept an Inland M1 carbine that their oldest sister's husband had given them around the house, but a couple of bouts of cancer made it too much to handle. She probably weighs about 95 lbs soaking wet and just didn't have the arm strength to handle a longgun any more. We rented, begged and borrowed a lot of handguns looking for something she could handle and ended up with a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm. It was light enough to handle but heavy enough to not kick too bad. She can't rack the slide so it sits cocked and locked in a quick access safe on the night stand.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
18-09-2016, 02:48 PM
(18-09-2016 01:05 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(18-09-2016 06:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "Junk" is being kind....

I was given one many years ago by a neighbor who just wanted to get rid of it....

It was in 22 LR. I shot it once - saw the amount of lead it was shaving (the cylinder and barrel not lining up when the trigger is pulled) -- so I cut it in half with an acytelene torch and tossed it.......

Best thing to do.....

Or maybe turn it in at a gun buy back, for a gift card.

I'd never participate in one of those.

A waste of taxpayer money - and a open door for dishonesty in cops.....

I know personally of one cop who "misappropriated" a pistol that got "bought back" for $50...... It was a 1st generation Peacemaker in 44-40............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-09-2016, 02:39 AM
*cough*

Okay, so today I found out something that even a friend who has been living in the Czech Republic for years didn't know about. It turns out that unlike in Germany, it's completely legal to not only own a firearm for reasons of self-defense over here, you can even carry it in public so long as it's concealed. All you have to do is take a gun proficiency exam to prove that you know how to handle and store it safely, get a medical exam and have a clean criminal record and you're good to go. I read up on it a little bit more and it turns out that you can even get one as a EU citizen. The only caveat is that the exam has to be taken in Czech and they outlawed the use of translators in 2011. If everything goes well and I get that job I interviewed for recently, I'll be able to take Czech language courses as one of the benefits soon.

Anyway, my question to you guys is this: Which gun you would recommend to a total beginner? Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
19-09-2016, 05:39 AM
(19-09-2016 02:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  *cough*

Okay, so today I found out something that even a friend who has been living in the Czech Republic for years didn't know about. It turns out that unlike in Germany, it's completely legal to not only own a firearm for reasons of self-defense over here, you can even carry it in public so long as it's concealed. All you have to do is take a gun proficiency exam to prove that you know how to handle and store it safely, get a medical exam and have a clean criminal record and you're good to go. I read up on it a little bit more and it turns out that you can even get one as a EU citizen. The only caveat is that the exam has to be taken in Czech and they outlawed the use of translators in 2011. If everything goes well and I get that job I interviewed for recently, I'll be able to take Czech language courses as one of the benefits soon.

Anyway, my question to you guys is this: Which gun you would recommend to a total beginner? Tongue

Try several out. Shoot them if you can. Get one that feels right and points naturally for you. Having said that a Glock, a Sig Saur P-320 or a CZ-75 if you don't mind carrying around a boat anchor.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
19-09-2016, 11:26 AM
(19-09-2016 02:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Anyway, my question to you guys is this: Which gun you would recommend to a total beginner? Tongue

I wouldn't recommend any particular gun to you. You really need to try different guns to see what works for you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2016, 11:45 AM

I can't help you with the gun part but that actually reads like a reasonable gun policy. Never happen in the US though.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
19-09-2016, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2016 02:01 PM by yakherder.)

I picked up a VP9 as my US concealed carry a few months back after a lot of shopping around. It's become quite popular lately, but everyone has their own preferences.

In any case, get someone with ammo you can find and afford and practice regularly. Study the science behind gun fights. I follow a Facebook page called Active Self Protection that provides a lot of solid analysis on various situations and self defense encounters that pop up, what went right, what went wrong, and why. Guy's a bit religulous but good info nonetheless.

Edit: Freaking auto correct. Active Self Protection not Advice Self Protection.

'Murican Canadian
19-09-2016, 01:49 PM
If you're a total beginner -- and you plan on carrying - it's hard to go wrong with a J-frame sized revolver. I'm partial to Smith and Wesson and Ruger...

Ammo availability will probably be a major consideration for you -- as is price of ammo................

I would have the most confidence picking up ANY Smith and Wesson or Ruger with fixed sights -- and using it untested as a self defense weapon....

They're that good....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-09-2016, 05:48 PM
(19-09-2016 11:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I can't help you with the gun part but that actually reads like a reasonable gun policy. Never happen in the US though.

Yeah, almost no one is fluent enough in the Czech language. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user