The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2016, 05:59 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(19-09-2016 01:49 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you're a total beginner -- and you plan on carrying - it's hard to go wrong with a J-frame sized revolver. I'm partial to Smith and Wesson and Ruger...

Ammo availability will probably be a major consideration for you -- as is price of ammo................

I would have the most confidence picking up ANY Smith and Wesson or Ruger with fixed sights -- and using it untested as a self defense weapon....

They're that good....

You can't go wrong with a Ruger SP101.

[Image: Ruger-SP101.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2016, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2016 07:19 PM by Popeye's Pappy.)
And what's probably the last of the prototype (read sales sample) rifle case inserts. One for a hunting rifle and a pistol case. We may try to prototype a "universal" pistol case down the road, but for the immediate future we are going to work on a few camera and tool cases prototypes.

[Image: WCO93ar.jpg]

[Image: 13Fqw2p.jpg]

[Image: t6ZQaVW.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
23-09-2016, 07:31 AM
This guy has created an attachment for a Glock so he can hunt fish underwater. The video shows him making the piece and hunting. A bit of an overkill (pun intended) for the size of the Lionfish he’s killing.

http://outdoors360.com/first-ever-glock-...see-video/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-09-2016, 10:30 AM
(23-09-2016 07:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  This guy has created an attachment for a Glock so he can hunt fish underwater. The video shows him making the piece and hunting. A bit of an overkill (pun intended) for the size of the Lionfish he’s killing.

http://outdoors360.com/first-ever-glock-...see-video/

You'd think a .22LR could do the job.

P.S. Do people still use bangsticks?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-09-2016, 12:01 PM
(23-09-2016 10:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  You'd think a .22LR could do the job.

One reason they may have chosen 9mm instead of 22lr is NATO spec (sealed neck and primers) 9mm is easy to come by. I don't think the same can be said for 22 and wet powder doesn't go bang, or in this case blurp, very reliably.

[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
23-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Wet ammo almost aways fires.. I have run ammunition through the washing machine many times and have never had a failure to fire with that ammo..,. I suppose it would be different in deep water.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-09-2016, 02:06 PM
The article said over 100 ft in depth. Pressure is about 60 psi at 100 ft. I'd be surprised if unsealed ammo didn't leak at that kind of pressure.

23-09-2016, 04:03 PM
(23-09-2016 02:06 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  The article said over 100 ft in depth. Pressure is about 60 psi at 100 ft. I'd be surprised if unsealed ammo didn't leak at that kind of pressure.

Yup... You probably would get away with it at snorkel depth...

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-09-2016, 04:28 PM
No opinion on Glock fishing, exactly...Smile
It did make me remember going to Glock armorer's school back in 1995. The instructor fired a 17 underwater in a tank, emptied a magazine. She didn't give us any warning or explanation, just submerged her gun and hand upside down in the tank and emptied the mag. We could see the rounds streaking off for a little ways and then coming to a halt and sinking. Pretty cool, really. I'd never seen that before.

Someone else in the class has invariably heard about the spring cups (I had not) and asked her how they worked, if they wore out, etc. She replied. "I don't know. Never used them."

We were told that the spring cups were a precaution, but in actuality most Glocks would function fine right out of the box, underwater.

I told the chief this when I returned to the police department, and he had a long tank put up down at our range. When I left the department about 5 years later, a Glock 22 had fired over 1000 rounds underwater without the maritime cups and had suffered neither a feed issue, a misfire, or a catastrophic disassembly. I was a difficult convert to the Glock bandwagon, but I am firmly seated upon it now.
26-09-2016, 07:30 AM
(23-09-2016 04:28 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  No opinion on Glock fishing, exactly...Smile
It did make me remember going to Glock armorer's school back in 1995. The instructor fired a 17 underwater in a tank, emptied a magazine. She didn't give us any warning or explanation, just submerged her gun and hand upside down in the tank and emptied the mag. We could see the rounds streaking off for a little ways and then coming to a halt and sinking. Pretty cool, really. I'd never seen that before.

Someone else in the class has invariably heard about the spring cups (I had not) and asked her how they worked, if they wore out, etc. She replied. "I don't know. Never used them."

We were told that the spring cups were a precaution, but in actuality most Glocks would function fine right out of the box, underwater.

I told the chief this when I returned to the police department, and he had a long tank put up down at our range. When I left the department about 5 years later, a Glock 22 had fired over 1000 rounds underwater without the maritime cups and had suffered neither a feed issue, a misfire, or a catastrophic disassembly. I was a difficult convert to the Glock bandwagon, but I am firmly seated upon it now.

I own six Glocks myself and, though I have seen plenty of underwater discharge demonstrations with Glocks, I have never attempted to shoot any of mine underwater. I take pretty good care of my guns and just don't have the heart to test one to destruction.

This guy, on the other hand.......200,000+ rounds through a G21 without cleaning, the gun has been shot, soaked in salt water, mud, grit, thrown out of an airplane, dragged behind a truck for over ten years - AND THE GODDAMN THING STILL SHOOTS!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade