The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2016, 01:03 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
I just completed my first 80% lower. Smile

Next step is to see if the parts kit fits. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-09-2016, 05:21 PM
Cool. Did you use a prefabbed jig or make your own?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
30-09-2016, 07:23 PM
I'm not much of an enthusiast, but I am former military and I own a gun. I don't do anything special with it. I just like it to be in my drawer in case someone is in the house that shouldn't be.

I have a S&W Governor, which some people see as kind of gimmicky. I like it though. I like having a shotgun so I don't have to worry much about my aim while I'm under pressure, but I don't like storing or wielding a large weapon.

[Image: b8fe9520f592c3d145805ea587b1a82e.jpg]
30-09-2016, 08:32 PM
(30-09-2016 07:23 PM)Jesster Wrote:  I'm not much of an enthusiast, but I am former military and I own a gun. I don't do anything special with it. I just like it to be in my drawer in case someone is in the house that shouldn't be.

I have a S&W Governor, which some people see as kind of gimmicky. I like it though. I like having a shotgun so I don't have to worry much about my aim while I'm under pressure, but I don't like storing or wielding a large weapon.

[Image: b8fe9520f592c3d145805ea587b1a82e.jpg]

I used to subscribe to The American Rifleman. On page 10 there is a compendium of stories of self-defense called "The Armed Citizen". One of them, a few years ago, detailed a story of an 80+ YO woman fending off an intruder with a 10 Gauge shotgun (19.7 mm, .77" bore size). I hope she was taking her calcium supplements. Though I will admit that willowy people have more ability to flex and absorb the recoil than others do, on occasion.

As for the shotgun, you might be able to purchase a barrel within legal limits that has an appropriate choke for short range work. Also, think about bear loads.

Also, just curious. What type of training have you had with that little gem?
30-09-2016, 09:29 PM
(30-09-2016 08:32 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Also, just curious. What type of training have you had with that little gem?

Training with it is awkward, I will admit. I've trained plenty with revolvers (my favorite gun style) and I've fired some shotguns. With it being a hybrid of the two ideas, it's both simple and weird at the same time. Firing .45 rounds from it is not at all as useful or accurate as with other standard revolvers, but the .410 shotgun rounds have no kick at all compared to larger shotguns. That's all I would ever bother with in that gun. Obviously it's little use for things like hunting, which is why I have it for home defense.
[+] 1 user Likes Jesster's post
30-09-2016, 09:43 PM
(23-09-2016 10:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 07:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  This guy has created an attachment for a Glock so he can hunt fish underwater. The video shows him making the piece and hunting. A bit of an overkill (pun intended) for the size of the Lionfish he’s killing.

http://outdoors360.com/first-ever-glock-...see-video/

You'd think a .22LR could do the job.

P.S. Do people still use bangsticks?

Not legally in Florida.

68B-20.003 Spearing, Statewide Regulation; Prohibition Against Powerheads, Bangsticks, and Rebreathers; Repeal of Certain Special Acts.
(7) The use of powerbeads, bangsticks, and rebreathers is prohibited as specified in Rule 68B-4.012, Florida Administrative Code.
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ruleno.a...68B-20.003

Before they were banned I had a dive buddy shoot at a Goliath grouper with one (not far from my head)...he missed but I fucking couldn’t hear for what seemed like hours and gave me a splitting headache.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-10-2016, 07:02 AM
(30-09-2016 01:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  I just completed my first 80% lower. Smile

Just did an ar10 for the nephew...

The instructions said the job could be done with a drill press.

Wild optimism that........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-10-2016, 07:42 AM
(30-09-2016 05:21 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Cool. Did you use a prefabbed jig or make your own?

Pre-fab. I don't have the tools or skills to make my own.

01-10-2016, 07:45 AM
(01-10-2016 07:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(30-09-2016 01:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  I just completed my first 80% lower. Smile

Just did an ar10 for the nephew...

The instructions said the job could be done with a drill press.

Wild optimism that........

I suppose it could, but I used a drill press to put 8 holes in the trigger well, followed by a router with a 3/8" end mill to finish it, followed by a drill press to drill the holes for the safety selector and trigger group pins.

I got the jig and tooling from these guys.

02-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Here's what we are currently dealing with in Massachusetts.