The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2015, 07:43 AM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(30-06-2015 07:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 05:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Nope....

While the chamber wouldn't be a problem - it's simply reaming it deeper --- the action would be the problem. Most likely you wouldn't have any problem with pressure - as most guns that are built for .32 are generally built for larger cartridges as well.

The problem will probably be the bolt will not draw back far enough to clear the cartridge out of the magazine.

You might re-barrel something chambered to 32-20 using a barrel for .32 H+R mag and the bolt (so the bolt face/extractor mate up)..

The .327 cartridge is only 1/8" longer than the .32 H&R. Dodgy
I was thinking lever-action like an 1894. I have one in .357/.38 and it's a handy rifle.

[Image: 705120_01_winchester_model_94_ranger_com_640.jpg]

Yup... and sometimes 1/8th inch might as well be a mile....

To see if it'd work - measure the clearances as the action cycles a round. If you do have over the .125 inch - it should work....

My everyday carry piece is a Smith 331 - an Airlite in 32 H+R - and I've got a six cavity mold and sizing dies -- and all I shoot is 93grain lead RN bullets with various loads of Unique powder. It's a great cartridge and quite sadly overlooked by the shooting community.... Dunno why..... I get 1100 fps out of the 1 7/8 inch barrel -- putting it in the same ft/lbs of energy range of most 38 specials.......

I assume you're reloading for it??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2015, 07:48 AM
(30-06-2015 07:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 05:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  About 12 years ago - I bought out the local Wal-Mart on all the boxes of Federal 22lr in the 550 round boxes -- and paid 8.96 a box.

As I recall, I got 50 boxes.

I sold "a few" Smile

for $40 a box - when everyone else was asking $100.

I haven't paid to shoot my 22 for years and I still shoot it quite a bit...

Smile

You were fortunate to get there before the hoarders. Dodgy

At the time I was shooting on a pistol league - and I wanted all my ammo to come out of the same lot. It seemed a better solution than paying for expensive Eley match grade ammo...... It worked. I went through the entire season without a misfire, misfeed or other FTF or ejection problems.... Scored OK -- the gun was way better than I am......

I've found that if you keep ammo in sealed steel ammo cans - it keeps virtually forever. And the .550 Federal boxes fit exactly, 6 to a 50 cal ammo box.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-06-2015, 08:16 AM
(30-06-2015 07:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 07:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  The .327 cartridge is only 1/8" longer than the .32 H&R. Dodgy
I was thinking lever-action like an 1894. I have one in .357/.38 and it's a handy rifle.

Yup... and sometimes 1/8th inch might as well be a mile....

To see if it'd work - measure the clearances as the action cycles a round. If you do have over the .125 inch - it should work....

My everyday carry piece is a Smith 331 - an Airlite in 32 H+R - and I've got a six cavity mold and sizing dies -- and all I shoot is 93grain lead RN bullets with various loads of Unique powder. It's a great cartridge and quite sadly overlooked by the shooting community.... Dunno why..... I get 1100 fps out of the 1 7/8 inch barrel -- putting it in the same ft/lbs of energy range of most 38 specials.......

I haven't, yet. Commercial ammo is still available.

I have a Ruger SP-101 in .327 Fed. I'm looking for a GP-100 in .327 - they seem to be rare.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-06-2015, 09:09 AM
(30-06-2015 08:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 07:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yup... and sometimes 1/8th inch might as well be a mile....

I haven't, yet. Commercial ammo is still available.

I have a Ruger SP-101 in .327 Fed. I'm looking for a GP-100 in .327 - they seem to be rare.

That'd be a fun one.... I had a Blackhawk convertible in 32 H+R mag/32-20 (A Buckhorn Outfitters special order) It shot like a 22 long rifle, with the .32 ammo in it.... A GP-100 would be about the same - plus you could double action nice and quick........ Let me know if you get one - I'd like to hear how one shoots....

I quite like my GP-100 .357(stainless, no underbarrel)

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-06-2015, 10:11 AM
(29-06-2015 09:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 12:32 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I went to work for a custom rifle builder when I was 16. I actually started shooting when I was 5 so I've been at it for 63 years. My mother was a competitive handgun shooter and she got me started with handguns when I was 5. Ultimately, I developed a fondness for wildcatting rifle cartridges and I still do that a little bit today. I think I have about 70 rifles and probably ten or so are wildcats. I also have about 30 handguns and there was a period of a few years when most of my big game hunting was done with handguns. These days I still hunt, with rifles, but most of my shooting is done at paper targets out to 1,000 yards from a bench rest where I can sit down without working up a sweat.

My horse and I MAY hunt elk again this year. He loves to go hunting and there is a nice elk herd about a mile from my ranch in the national forest. However, even with my horse's help, moving an 800-900 pound elk [cut into quarters] off the mountain to my truck is exhausting work.

Let me pose a question.

It would seem possible to convert a rifle chambered for .32 H&R Magnum to .327 Federal Magnum. Would it be straightforward and would the result be strong enough for the cartridge?

[Image: 327federalmagnum.jpg]

I'd be reluctant because the pressures in the .327 Fed Mag are roughly twice as high as the pressures in the H & R. I am quite sure that the Winchester action can handle the 45,000 psi of the Fed Mag but I would want Winchester's engineers to tell me that before I ran a new chamber reamer into the .32 H & R.
30-06-2015, 02:30 PM
(30-06-2015 07:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 05:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Nope....

While the chamber wouldn't be a problem - it's simply reaming it deeper --- the action would be the problem. Most likely you wouldn't have any problem with pressure - as most guns that are built for .32 are generally built for larger cartridges as well.

The problem will probably be the bolt will not draw back far enough to clear the cartridge out of the magazine.

You might re-barrel something chambered to 32-20 using a barrel for .32 H+R mag and the bolt (so the bolt face/extractor mate up)..

The .327 cartridge is only 1/8" longer than the .32 H&R. Dodgy

What's the appeal of the lever action? Some folks like it, but I never understood why. You lose your sight-picture every time you chamber the next round.

30-06-2015, 02:31 PM
(30-06-2015 02:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 07:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  The .327 cartridge is only 1/8" longer than the .32 H&R. Dodgy

What's the appeal of the lever action? Some folks like it, but I never understood why. You lose your sight-picture every time you chamber the next round.

It's one better than a rolling block???

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-06-2015, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2015 06:41 PM by Dark Light.)
(30-06-2015 02:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 02:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  What's the appeal of the lever action? Some folks like it, but I never understood why. You lose your sight-picture every time you chamber the next round.

It's one better than a rolling block???

Big Grin

And better than a musket too, but there are still better ways to get the job done Thumbsup

I'll take a semi-auto over all (even over full-auto) in most situations, but lever action is even inferior to bolt action, IMO. Bolt action is more likely to be more accurate (in properly functioning similar quality rifles), and more reliable too, though you do have to move your trigger hand a bit more. Easier to clean too.

30-06-2015, 07:58 PM
(30-06-2015 06:35 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 02:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's one better than a rolling block???

Big Grin

And better than a musket too, but there are still better ways to get the job done Thumbsup

I'll take a semi-auto over all (even over full-auto) in most situations, but lever action is even inferior to bolt action, IMO. Bolt action is more likely to be more accurate (in properly functioning similar quality rifles), and more reliable too, though you do have to move your trigger hand a bit more. Easier to clean too.

If I were on horseback I'd give the edge to the lever action over the bolt action, and I'd definitely be wearing a cowboy hat.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
30-06-2015, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2015 09:30 PM by Chas.)
(30-06-2015 02:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  

You don't if you know how to use one. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user