The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2017, 12:02 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(18-01-2017 10:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  At a quick glance most of the threaded barrels I saw were still too short, but looking at already Canadian legal VP9's there does indeed seem to be some options.

The Stag 9t appears to be good to go as is, same with the M4.

I guess in reality my guns are quite importable. It's the accessories that I'll have to leave behind. My magazines will need to be pinned at 5 rounds so I probably won't even bother. I'll just get smaller ones. The laws regarding ammunition are (probably intentionally) vague. I'm supposed to have a "reasonable" amount for my own use, and I can only bring across 5,000 without making things complicated. Not a chance on the bump fire stocks or the OSS suppressors I picked up quite recently, before I knew my civilian job was gonna start having issues with my training schedule :/

I suppose for general range use, it's all quite doable. But my days of stockpiling for the end of the world are over lol.

Still got a few months to get it taken care of.

You could rent a storage unit in VT.

Or become a smuggler.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2017, 12:12 PM
(19-01-2017 12:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 10:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  At a quick glance most of the threaded barrels I saw were still too short, but looking at already Canadian legal VP9's there does indeed seem to be some options.

The Stag 9t appears to be good to go as is, same with the M4.

I guess in reality my guns are quite importable. It's the accessories that I'll have to leave behind. My magazines will need to be pinned at 5 rounds so I probably won't even bother. I'll just get smaller ones. The laws regarding ammunition are (probably intentionally) vague. I'm supposed to have a "reasonable" amount for my own use, and I can only bring across 5,000 without making things complicated. Not a chance on the bump fire stocks or the OSS suppressors I picked up quite recently, before I knew my civilian job was gonna start having issues with my training schedule :/

I suppose for general range use, it's all quite doable. But my days of stockpiling for the end of the world are over lol.

Still got a few months to get it taken care of.

You could rent a storage unit in VT.

Or become a smuggler.

Storage isn't a big issue. I've got plenty of gun nut friends I trust. The above mentioned Mormon has a bunker lol. It's just that without monthly drill, I don't see myself driving 5 hours just to go to the range on any kind of a regular basis. My best option at this point seems to be to bite the bullet and get into shooting in Canada.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
19-01-2017, 04:27 PM
(19-01-2017 12:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 12:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  You could rent a storage unit in VT.

Or become a smuggler.

Storage isn't a big issue. I've got plenty of gun nut friends I trust. The above mentioned Mormon has a bunker lol. It's just that without monthly drill, I don't see myself driving 5 hours just to go to the range on any kind of a regular basis. My best option at this point seems to be to bite the bullet and get into shooting in Canada.

Have you looked into the Canadian Army Reserve?

19-01-2017, 09:07 PM
(19-01-2017 04:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 12:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Storage isn't a big issue. I've got plenty of gun nut friends I trust. The above mentioned Mormon has a bunker lol. It's just that without monthly drill, I don't see myself driving 5 hours just to go to the range on any kind of a regular basis. My best option at this point seems to be to bite the bullet and get into shooting in Canada.

Have you looked into the Canadian Army Reserve?

The thought has crossed my mind more than a few times since I've been in Canada. Not just reserve, but even full time. Rank doesn't carry over, though, and I don't know if I want to be an (almost) 40 year old private.

Plus, at this point it isn't just the Army in general I'm gonna miss. It's my unit. We've got our shit together (this is not the case with a lot of Guard units) and I love the mountaineering specialization. Transitioning from people I've deployed with to people I don't know in a peacetime force kind of takes away some of the fun.

But who knows. I'll have my citizenship pretty soon, and we'll see if I feel compelled to offer myself to the Queen Tongue

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2017, 09:11 PM
(19-01-2017 09:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 04:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  Have you looked into the Canadian Army Reserve?

The thought has crossed my mind more than a few times since I've been in Canada. Not just reserve, but even full time. Rank doesn't carry over, though, and I don't know if I want to be an (almost) 40 year old private.

Plus, at this point it isn't just the Army in general I'm gonna miss. It's my unit. We've got our shit together (this is not the case with a lot of Guard units) and I love the mountaineering specialization. Transitioning from people I've deployed with to people I don't know in a peacetime force kind of takes away some of the fun.

But who knows. I'll have my citizenship pretty soon, and we'll see if I feel compelled to offer myself to the Queen Tongue

She love you long time. Angel

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-01-2017, 09:14 PM
(19-01-2017 09:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 09:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  The thought has crossed my mind more than a few times since I've been in Canada. Not just reserve, but even full time. Rank doesn't carry over, though, and I don't know if I want to be an (almost) 40 year old private.

She love you long time. Angel

She'd better. By the time I get to my citizenship ceremony I'll be going on my 4th oath. That's 4 more than most Canadians give.

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2017, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2017 09:40 PM by Chas.)
Are any of you red-neck-gun-nut mofos into clay sports? Smile

I regularly shoot trap and occasionally sporting clays and skeet.

I just sent my main trap gun (Browning BT-99) to Graco to install an adjustable butt plate.
[Image: lrg-53-gun_005.jpg]

Graco Wrote:The "length of pull" will adjust in or out 1 1/8 inches and the pad plate will move up or down 1 1/2 inches, and can rotate to any comfortable position "toe in" or "toe out".

My natural gun mount has the gun canted left and the stock a little low for comfortable sighting. I expect that this modification will give me a more comfortable set up. And better scores.

19-01-2017, 09:44 PM
(19-01-2017 09:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 04:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  Have you looked into the Canadian Army Reserve?

While your full rank might not transfer, I'd be surprised if you were offered only a rank of private. I know that from civilian life, a person can enlist in the US Navy with a rank all the way to E-7, depending on their background. Also, depending on education and experience, I've seen people commissioned as high as LCDR (=MAJ)- they just needed "knife and fork" school- military etiquette training. That might not apply these days, though.
19-01-2017, 09:56 PM
(19-01-2017 09:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 09:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  The thought has crossed my mind more than a few times since I've been in Canada. Not just reserve, but even full time. Rank doesn't carry over, though, and I don't know if I want to be an (almost) 40 year old private.

While your full rank might not transfer, I'd be surprised if you were offered only a rank of private. I know that from civilian life, a person can enlist in the US Navy with a rank all the way to E-7, depending on their background. Also, depending on education and experience, I've seen people commissioned as high as LCDR (=MAJ)- they just needed "knife and fork" school- military etiquette training. That might not apply these days, though.

Not sure if the regs were different before or if I am just unaware of some of the current ones. The only times I've personally seen that happen were for musicians whom, in the case of the Navy, join as E6. Beyond that, I know they can bump you up to E3 upon joining (usually because of either college credits or ROTC) with automatic advancement to E4 upon completion of your school. When I left the Navy I was a 2nd class PO and the Army let me join as a Sergeant, but I guess that's a little different since it's the same country, even though our services don't necessarily operate jointly like they do in Canada (Army, Air Force, Navy, etc. all go to the same basic training and are part of the same structure).

As for the Canadian Forces, they said that although I would likely advance much faster than average due to qualifications and previous experience, I'd still have to join as a private and I'd still have to wait the minimum amount of time between ranks before applying for new ones.

There is, of course, always the possibility of field commissions. But that doesn't happen as often nowadays as it used to Tongue

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2017, 10:50 PM
News of the day is that after 10 years of pain and mucho money the US army has selected the Sig P320 as their new handgun. I've certainly enjoyed my P320 compact 45 so I won't be complaining about the choice.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post