The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2017, 07:19 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(30-06-2015 02:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 02:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  What's the appeal of the lever action? Some folks like it, but I never understood why. You lose your sight-picture every time you chamber the next round.

It's one better than a rolling block???

Big Grin

I had one of those years ago, a 44-40, Belgium made with a bayonet. All serial numbers were the same. Fired it a few times but mostly looked at it. It was in nearly pristine condition.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2017, 08:24 PM
(18-04-2017 05:07 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I only run Geissele triggers. Where did you find out so much about ARs? Most people buy junk parts. You buy nice top of the line stuff. I'm impressed.

I like the Geisseles. My White Oak service rifle is still running a Rock River National Match, the truck gun just has an ALG ACT, but everything else has a Geissele now. Scotty has been trying to talk me into trying a CMC single stage drop in, but I haven't gone there yet.

I've been hanging out with the service rifle crowd for 30 years now. Almost a decade playing around with 3-gun.

I'm already planning my next build. 2A Balios Lite receiver set. Faxon 16" mid pencil barrel. Lots of V7 titanium. I'm hoping for less than 5 lbs with an Aimpoint Micro mounted.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
21-04-2017, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2017 10:16 AM by Popeye's Pappy.)
So I e-filed four from 1 trusts with the ATF on 7/6/2016. That was a week before rule 41F went into effect. Two SBR's and two suppressors. The SBR's are conversions so they got control numbers right away because the manufacturer was already on the ATF's list, but the two cans didn't get one until 8/4/2016 because my trust wasn't listed as a manufacturer. The SBR control numbers are in the 322xxx range, and the cans are in the 378xxx range. That's 56,000 applications later.

I got the first SBR stamp back yesterday and the second one this morning. (Pictures of the builds to come as soon as I can pick up the barrels and get them installed.) It took the ATF 288 days to process the first one and 289 days for the second one. God knows how long it is going to take to get the next two stamps because they have had a bunch of temp help trying to keep up with the pre 41F spike, and I hear they've sent most of those people back to wherever they came from.

26-04-2017, 06:52 PM
And here are the SBR's. The top one is a 5.56. It has a Seekins upper and lower, 12" Seekins MCSR hand guard, SD tactical brake (for the coming one of these days SD tactical Form 1 titanium suppressor) Seekins adjustable gas block, 14.5" FN made M249 spec barrel, Rubber City M16 spec bolt carrier and bolt, BCM charging handle, pistol grip, buffer tube and stock, Giessele SD-C trigger and twisted wire buffer spring, Mepro M-21 optic and Magpul Pro off set BUIS.

The stand alone upper goes on lower number 1. Aero upper, same MCSR hand guard, Noveske 8.5" 300 Blackout barrel with the SD Tactical brake (for the other coming one of these days SD tactical Form 1 titanium suppressor), EOTech 512 optic and MI BUIS.

The bottom one is an 11.5" budget (except for the Geissele SSA trigger and Aimpoint H-1 optic) build I did for Mama so she could have something light. It's just a tad over 6 lbs with the optic and BUIS. One of these days I may swap out the barrel for something with a light weight profile. That might shave off another .5 lbs.

[Image: 1jGO8aO.jpg]

26-04-2017, 07:07 PM
What do you think of the flat trigger?
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
26-04-2017, 07:08 PM
And here's another one. It's a 1973 Western Auto badged Marlin 336 30-30. It belonged to a close friend that died 20 years ago this month. When his dad gave it to me it was completely disassembled and covered with rust. I think he had stripped it down with the intention of refinishing it but never got around to it. It sat the way I got it until last month when I took it down the shop and had it cleaned up and Cerokoted. It isn't worth much dollar wise but there is some emotional value.

[Image: DWEC6Bp.jpg]

26-04-2017, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2017 07:15 PM by Popeye's Pappy.)
(26-04-2017 07:07 PM)KUSA Wrote:  What do you think of the flat trigger?

I like the SD-C. Not as much as the SD-E though...

ETA: I like the flat triggers without gloves. When I'm wearing gloves I prefer a bow.

26-04-2017, 08:43 PM
(26-04-2017 07:09 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 07:07 PM)KUSA Wrote:  What do you think of the flat trigger?

I like the SD-C. Not as much as the SD-E though...

ETA: I like the flat triggers without gloves. When I'm wearing gloves I prefer a bow.

I like the way they look but have never actually used one. I assume they extend the distance you have to reach your finger. I don't have long fingers so I'm not sure how it would work for me.

I always get the Hi-Speed National Match trigger and set it up as light as possible. They have spoiled me.
10-06-2017, 02:39 PM
Weird. Maybe worrisome. Consider

I traded in my Beretta S686 O/U on a Browning Citori 725 Trap last weekend.
When they ran the NICS check, I got a delay, which is not unusual since I'm a Frostback Tongue (Canadian immigrant).

However, after the requisite 3 days, they came back with a "further review". This has never happened to me before in my many years of gun ownership.
I have an unrestricted LTC in Massachusetts and no legal issues, so I'm wondering if this might not be some new "harass the damn immigrants" policy on the part of those now steering the course. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2017, 02:57 PM
(10-06-2017 02:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  However, after the requisite 3 days, they came back with a "further review". This has never happened to me before in my many years of gun ownership.

I have an unrestricted LTC in Massachusetts and no legal issues, so I'm wondering if this might not be some new "harass the damn immigrants" policy on the part of those now steering the course. Consider

Undoubtedly.

Even Canadians who want to cross the border to go shopping or travelling or whatever are now being asked what they think of Trump. Some have been turned away because their views don't align with the views of the officer on duty.

Trump Immigration Policies Begin Affecting Canadians Crossing the US Border
Quote:... this examination {at the border} can now include a line of questioning about a person’s religion, political views, and even attitudes towards President Trump.

Rejection rate on the rise for Canadians at U.S. border
Quote:Several cases have cropped up in recent weeks, including a half-dozen people who were rejected after border agents questioned their views on Mr. Trump... The U.S. border guard union was one of the few to endorse Mr. Trump and some of his more ardent supporters on patrol at the border seem to be emboldened to take a hard line.

All that said, the US - like any sovereign country - has the right to allow or disallow who it chooses to cross the border. Nobody disputes that. The issue arises when one is turned away based on their political beliefs or religion.