The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2015, 09:27 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(30-06-2015 07:58 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If I were on horseback I'd give the edge to the lever action over the bolt action, and I'd definitely be wearing a cowboy hat.

I never go anywhere without it. I have five akubra hats. They made the one I am wearing especially for me. Smile

[Image: 2015-06-23%2014.20.20_zpsde6i2zdd.jpg]

Akubra hats.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
01-07-2015, 05:24 PM
(30-06-2015 09:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 02:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  What's the appeal of the lever action? Some folks like it, but I never understood why. You lose your sight-picture every time you chamber the next round.

You don't if you know how to use one. Dodgy

What I see is a man setting on a chair, using a bench and a bipod but the muzzle still jerking all over the place. Shooting quickly wasn't my complaint with the design. If it makes you happy though, more power to ya.

01-07-2015, 05:43 PM
(01-07-2015 05:24 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 09:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  You don't if you know how to use one. Dodgy

What I see is a man setting on a chair, using a bench and a bipod but the muzzle still jerking all over the place. Shooting quickly wasn't my complaint with the design. If it makes you happy though, more power to ya.

That was just a fun one. You can see how easily the rifle is cycled.

It's no harder than keeping a semi-auto on target - except maybe an AR or similar designs that have minimal muzzle climb.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2015, 06:10 PM
(01-07-2015 05:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-07-2015 05:24 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  What I see is a man setting on a chair, using a bench and a bipod but the muzzle still jerking all over the place. Shooting quickly wasn't my complaint with the design. If it makes you happy though, more power to ya.

That was just a fun one. You can see how easily the rifle is cycled.

It's no harder than keeping a semi-auto on target - except maybe an AR or similar designs that have minimal muzzle climb.

I think we'll just have to disagree on this one. I don't dispute that someone could be proficient in using a lever action rifle, but a semi-auto removes the extra step of chambering a round which necessitates moves the rifle/your muzzle and has no disadvantage over the lever-action design. The bolt action design has some disadvantages when compared to the lever-action design, but I feel that in most circumstances the pros outweigh the cons.

02-07-2015, 05:00 AM
It's what they had at the time. Some guys just like to shoot old fashioned stuff.

A hundred years from now they'll look at the stuff we shoot, and think "What a bunch of crappy antiques" -- Then they'll melt down a hovercar with their plasma rifle, just for the fun of it.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-07-2015, 06:08 AM
(01-07-2015 06:10 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(01-07-2015 05:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  That was just a fun one. You can see how easily the rifle is cycled.

I think we'll just have to disagree on this one. I don't dispute that someone could be proficient in using a lever action rifle, but a semi-auto removes the extra step of chambering a round which necessitates moves the rifle/your muzzle

No, it does not necessitate moving the rifle at all.

Quote:and has no disadvantage over the lever-action design. The bolt action design has some disadvantages when compared to the lever-action design, but I feel that in most circumstances the pros outweigh the cons.

I didn't claim the lever-action was superior, merely that it is not terribly disadvantageous. Much like a pump-action shotgun, a little practice makes for competence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2015, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2015 08:56 PM by Dark Light.)
For shotguns, pump-action is a good choice for the lay man without a ton of cash. The semi-auto shot-guns are very pricey (at least the ones I have seen), and the full-auto shotguns are virtually non-existent. I have seen one full-auto shotgun in my life. It was part of a robot designed for military and police at a local robotics contractor about 45 mins from my house at a company called Remotec. That place builds some badass robots!

Anyhow, pump-action does the trick nearly as good as semi-auto in most situations, especially if you are firing shot (vice slugs). Much better than break-action, although I do hope to one day inherit an old double-barrel/double-trigger side-by-side 12 gauge L.C. Smith shotgun. It looks like it similar to the one located at http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...491880851. Talk about a gun that kicks like a mule though! Pulling both triggers at once is for the foolhardy, desperate, or stupid. I did it once. Big Grin

22-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Got a kick out of this.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
22-09-2015, 12:03 PM
(22-09-2015 10:17 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Got a kick out of this.

I know what brand locks I’m buying next. Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
13-10-2015, 10:15 PM
A few months ago, I was looking for a gun strictly for home protection since I was going to be living by myself and will no longer have my linebacker-sized boyfriend for protection Wink I think it was YH (?) who suggested a rifle or a shotgun. I ended up putting my gun plans on hold because I ended up getting back together with my boyfriend and he is completely anti-gun and would not allow one in the house.

Fast forward to now, and my relationship with my boyfriend is completely over. So now I am thinking about purchasing a gun again. While I've always been a pretty avid hiker, more recently I got into backpacking. I want something light that I can take with me on the trails and something that is not cumbersome to carry as I have a pack. I am not planning on doing any hunting--I just want it for protection. I also would like it to be something that I could also use for home/personal protection.

I mentioned in Toney's thread that I am a member of several backpacking/outdoor forums and several people on there have recommended the Ruger LCR .357 mag. I have done some research on it and it seems to be what I am looking for. The price is also quite reasonable at $500-600.

I know this gun is quite powerful, but I have the ability to practice with two professionals who know a lot about firearms. I also have a a lot of arm/forearm/wrist strength (probably more than a "typical" female) due to yoga.

I always like to hear others opinions on things...so, gun enthusiasts, what type of firearm do you think would best suit my needs?
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post