The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 10:33 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
Yeah I remember talking with you about it a while back Smile

The rifle or shotgun I'd suggest for home defense only, since you're obviously not going to carry it around. Maybe even something like a 9mm carbine.

Concealed carry obviously rules that out. The Ruger LCR .357 is a rational choice, with pros and cons as discussed in the other thread. With training, preferably incorporating all the elements you will theoretically need to be familiar with as opposed to the standard practice of shooting at a stationary target from a stationary position, it has the potential to serve your purpose well.

I may be in the minority here, but I personally prefer the generic 9mm or .45 acp. Though other popular calibers might theoretically bring a target down with less hits, I believe the most important aspect of coming out alive in an unplanned gunfight is to be able to get successive rounds quickly on target while under duress. For that, even as an experienced shooter, I prefer less recoil over greater stopping power per shot.

You're gonna get different opinions from everyone on the subject, and they aren't necessarily right or wrong. Everyone has different methods of accomplishing the same things.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
13-10-2015, 10:34 PM
(13-10-2015 10:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I know this gun is quite powerful, but I have the ability to practice with two professionals who know a lot about firearms. I also have a a lot of arm/forearm/wrist strength (probably more than a "typical" female) due to yoga.

I always like to hear others opinions on things...so, gun enthusiasts, what type of firearm do you think would best suit my needs?

......Nope, not gonna say it, I'm better than this, I can resist temptation......................................As long as you can cock it any gun will do.

Sorry to hear about the ex boyfriend, breakups suck.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
13-10-2015, 11:58 PM
(13-10-2015 10:34 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 10:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I know this gun is quite powerful, but I have the ability to practice with two professionals who know a lot about firearms. I also have a a lot of arm/forearm/wrist strength (probably more than a "typical" female) due to yoga.

I always like to hear others opinions on things...so, gun enthusiasts, what type of firearm do you think would best suit my needs?

......Nope, not gonna say it, I'm better than this, I can resist temptation......................................As long as you can cock it any gun will do.

Laugh out load Hobo
14-10-2015, 05:59 AM
Hey jennybee ----

I had a dream about you last night -- only thing -- you were not in it.....

True..

I remember telling you that if you get a Ruger LCR - to practice with 38 special - or light .357 reloads...... That must have put my brain to work, and it kept at it after I went to bed.

Here's the thing.....

I don't know if Ruger carries the same warning -- but years back S+W had warnings on their Airlites to not use bullets under 125 grain in bullet weight.

There's a reason.

Inertia.

To fully understand the problem-- use Google and look up "Inertial Bullet Puller". They'll probably have a good explanation and pictures. What it is is a device people who reload use, to take apart cartridges -- say if one is put together without powder by mistake. The cartridge goes into the puller - which is then hit on a hard surface. This causes the bullet to pull out of the casing -- by using it's inertia.

The same thing is true with light revolvers. What can happen is if the overall weight of the revolver becomes too light -- (say - if you use light bullets -- like 110 grain, vs 158 grain.)
the bullets can creep forward in the casing - due to the high speed of the recoil - and can cause the front of the bullet to catch on the frame of the revolver, when you try cocking it -- jamming the gun.

The added weight of the heavier bullets adds up, reducing the inertial kickback on the bullets.

So --- the whole point --- if you do get reloads --- make SURE they put a crimp on the bullet (like factory stuff) --as many reloaders do not put crimp on their reloads - as it reduces the cased life due to metal fatiguing.....

Time for coffee...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-10-2015, 06:14 AM
(13-10-2015 10:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  A few months ago, I was looking for a gun strictly for home protection since I was going to be living by myself and will no longer have my linebacker-sized boyfriend for protection Wink I think it was YH (?) who suggested a rifle or a shotgun. I ended up putting my gun plans on hold because I ended up getting back together with my boyfriend and he is completely anti-gun and would not allow one in the house.

Fast forward to now, and my relationship with my boyfriend is completely over. So now I am thinking about purchasing a gun again. While I've always been a pretty avid hiker, more recently I got into backpacking. I want something light that I can take with me on the trails and something that is not cumbersome to carry as I have a pack. I am not planning on doing any hunting--I just want it for protection. I also would like it to be something that I could also use for home/personal protection.

I mentioned in Toney's thread that I am a member of several backpacking/outdoor forums and several people on there have recommended the Ruger LCR .357 mag. I have done some research on it and it seems to be what I am looking for. The price is also quite reasonable at $500-600.

I know this gun is quite powerful, but I have the ability to practice with two professionals who know a lot about firearms. I also have a a lot of arm/forearm/wrist strength (probably more than a "typical" female) due to yoga.

One thing you need to think about is how you plan to carry your gun. If you wear a pack with a hip belt you probably aren't going to want a gun between you and your pack. That will rule most belt holsters out unless you go with something really low slung, and that type of holster is hard to conceal. That leaves pocket carry, shoulder/chest rigs, ankle holsters and fanny packs.

I highly suggest you try shooting several different guns before you buy. What works for someone else might not work for you. Small and light makes for easy carry, but is less comfortable to shoot. My ex had a model 37 airweight 38 but she hated to shoot it. The gun she liked to shoot was my full size 1911. It weighed more, kicked less and pointed better for her than the little revolver.

Revolvers are generally thought of as more reliable than semiautomatic pistols. But these days even cheap pistols like the Kel-Tec PF-9 are pretty damn reliable little machines. The PF-9 BTW might be something to consider. They are thinner and lighter than the LCR, and can usually be found for less than $250 new.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
14-10-2015, 06:35 AM
(13-10-2015 11:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 10:34 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  ......Nope, not gonna say it, I'm better than this, I can resist temptation......................................As long as you can cock it any gun will do.

Laugh out load Hobo

Have you determined a maximum weight? The LCR is about 1 lb. 1 oz., the SP-101 is 1 lb. 13 oz.

The LCR also comes in .327 Federal Magnum. That caliber is almost as powerful as .357 Mag. but is more controllable. The ammunition is lighter, as well.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-10-2015, 06:42 AM
(14-10-2015 06:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 11:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Laugh out load Hobo

Have you determined a maximum weight? The LCR is about 1 lb. 1 oz., the SP-101 is 1 lb. 13 oz.

The LCR also comes in .327 Federal Magnum. That caliber is almost as powerful as .357 Mag. but is more controllable. The ammunition is lighter, as well.

And you get 6 shots instead of 5.

BUT....

Take a look at what ammo costs in comparison to .357.....

It's pretty salty...

Even .32 H+R mag (the parent cartridge of .327 Federal) is pricey....

You don't go "plinking" with ammo that costs $1.50 a round...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-10-2015, 06:53 AM
(14-10-2015 06:42 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 06:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  Have you determined a maximum weight? The LCR is about 1 lb. 1 oz., the SP-101 is 1 lb. 13 oz.

And you get 6 shots instead of 5.

BUT....

It's pretty salty...

I get .327 for $25 for a box of 50.

The SP100 also fires 32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 HR Magnum.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-10-2015, 06:54 AM
(14-10-2015 06:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  the SP-101 is 1 lb. 13 oz.

Love my little Ruger.

[Image: SP101%20Carry%20Combo_zpsjonrofm1.jpg]

But not as much as my 1911.

[Image: Kimber%20Carry%20Combo_zpswt5ows83.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
14-10-2015, 06:59 AM
(14-10-2015 06:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 06:42 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And you get 6 shots instead of 5.

BUT....

It's pretty salty...

I get .327 for $25 for a box of 50.

The SP100 also fires 32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 HR Magnum.

Good price.... It's quite a bit more around here.. Dunno why...

I reload .32 H+R and cast my own bullets.... Works out to about $3 a box of 50....

Smile

OH...... yeah .... one other thing ....

I've done a lot of chronometer testing with short barreled revolvers.

A LEAD bullet will outperform a jacketed bullet in almost all cases.

You generally get about 200 - 300 fps more velocity out of a lead bullet vs a jacketed bullet of the same weight.

I will not use jacketed bullets in pistols and revolvers that shoot lead decently....