The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2015, 12:34 PM
RE: The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(14-10-2015 11:55 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 11:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  (additionally to prevent barrel leading or gas system blockage.)

My personal solution to leading from supersonic rounds is gas checked bullets. I load .459 diameter 420 grain hard casts to about 1850 fps out of my guide gun. Leading hasn't been a problem. It's a lever gun though so no gas port to pick up a chunk of hot lead on the way by...

[Image: 747404.jpg]

Those look almost like the bullets I cast for .480 Ruger. (no gas check) 400 grain... I took a whitetail with one out of my Super Redhawk. Whack, thump, didn't get up..

Your guide gun chambered 458 Win Mag??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2015, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2015 01:15 PM by Popeye's Pappy.)
45-70

ETD: Had to go back and look at my load data spreadsheet. Should have said 1650 not 1850...

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
14-10-2015, 02:05 PM
OK.. Did you know --- .480 Ruger is a cut down .45-70??? OAL and the extraction shoulder turned down.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-10-2015, 03:10 PM
(14-10-2015 11:59 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Is anyone familiar with the gun laws in Maine? One of the areas I am considering moving to once I move back to MA and get myself settled is Portland, Maine. I love it there.

One of my brothers lives in Maine; it's quite firearms friendly. No license except for concealed carry.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-10-2015, 03:29 PM
(14-10-2015 02:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  OK.. Did you know --- .480 Ruger is a cut down .45-70??? OAL and the extraction shoulder turned down.....

I didn't, but that's pretty cool. Never had the oppertunaty to shoot one either. 454 Casull a couple of times. It was more gun than care for. I do enjoy the 45-70 though. The hot loads kick, but they aren't unmanageable. Cowboy 405 loads are just plain old fun. Boom, pause, smack!

14-10-2015, 03:34 PM
(14-10-2015 03:29 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 02:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  OK.. Did you know --- .480 Ruger is a cut down .45-70??? OAL and the extraction shoulder turned down.....

I didn't, but that's pretty cool. Never had the oppertunaty to shoot one either. 454 Casull a couple of times. It was more gun than care for. I do enjoy the 45-70 though. The hot loads kick, but they aren't unmanageable. Cowboy 405 loads are just plain old fun. Boom, pause, smack!

I've shot the .454 Casull and the .480 in comparison - on identical Ruger SRHs.....

The .454 was positively brutal - with the stock Ruger grips.

The .480 was also painful -- but not quite as bad.

I've put Hogue grips on mine - and it's no worse than any .44 mag now... With the stock grips -- more than a couple dozen shots would actually make your middle finger bleed..... You HAD to shoot with gloves.... The Hogues really do make it much more shootable.... Gloves not needed.....

14-10-2015, 03:35 PM
(14-10-2015 12:19 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Here is a picture of one on the left compared to a hollow point hunting bullet on the right.

I run the Game Kings in several of my 308 rifles including the LR-308. Accuracy wise I can't tell much difference between them and the Match Kings. The thicker jacket is supposed to make them perform better when they hit something, but I wouldn't want to get shot with either of them.

14-10-2015, 03:37 PM
(14-10-2015 03:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 11:59 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Is anyone familiar with the gun laws in Maine? One of the areas I am considering moving to once I move back to MA and get myself settled is Portland, Maine. I love it there.

One of my brothers lives in Maine; it's quite firearms friendly. No license except for concealed carry.

I love Maine. I definitely think I could be happy there. If money was no object, I would love to live in some remote out of the way place in Maine like my uncle lived in. But he was loaded lol. I work for a living, so yeah, kinda need to be in a city or at least close to one. I do like cities too though.

I also am thinking of Portsmouth, NH and Providence, RI as possibilities. And of course, Boston, MA Tongue So I gotta check the gun laws out in those states too. Thumbsup
14-10-2015, 03:43 PM
(14-10-2015 03:34 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 03:29 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I didn't, but that's pretty cool. Never had the oppertunaty to shoot one either. 454 Casull a couple of times. It was more gun than care for. I do enjoy the 45-70 though. The hot loads kick, but they aren't unmanageable. Cowboy 405 loads are just plain old fun. Boom, pause, smack!

I've shot the .454 Casull and the .480 in comparison - on identical Ruger SRHs.....

The .454 was positively brutal - with the stock Ruger grips.

The .480 was also painful -- but not quite as bad.

I've put Hogue grips on mine - and it's no worse than any .44 mag now... With the stock grips -- more than a couple dozen shots would actually make your middle finger bleed..... You HAD to shoot with gloves.... The Hogues really do make it much more shootable.... Gloves not needed.....

My biggest hand canon is a 4" Redhawk in 44 magnum. It hasn't been out of the safe in a couple of years, and the thought crossed my mind to get rid of it a while back. That thought was quickly squashed though when I realized that if I did that I wouldn't have a sixgun to pair with my Henry Big Boy 44.

14-10-2015, 03:54 PM
The gun thread. Enthusiasts only.
(14-10-2015 03:35 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 12:19 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Here is a picture of one on the left compared to a hollow point hunting bullet on the right.

I run the Game Kings in several of my 308 rifles including the LR-308. Accuracy wise I can't tell much difference between them and the Match Kings. The thicker jacket is supposed to make them perform better when they hit something, but I wouldn't want to get shot with either of them.

An LR-308? I have the DPMS G2 Recon in 308. I plan on taking out some deer and hogs with it.
[Image: 4cbf2f038b985bd0ffa96b90769d0c1c.jpg]