The hash out thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2012, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2012 08:33 AM by kingschosen.)
The hash out thread
Since I'm a communications graduate, I believe 90% of problems can be solved by effective communication.

So, that's what this thread is for. It's to hash out any issues with another member that may have arisen in another thread without completely derailing the original topic.

So, Red Celt... in that thread... yeah that one... you replied:

(31-07-2012 03:08 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(31-07-2012 01:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Questioning my intentions / criticizing
When someone does something, they always have a motive for their actions. I'm curious to know what KC's motives are... and how he justifies such an active role in an atheist forum to his church friends.

Seriously? Just how thin is your skin?

I've been online since 1996 and I can say (with the greatest of confidence) that I've never told a single lie in all that time. I speak my mind and I'm honest with it. I said everyone has a motive for their actions... and they do. I then said that I was curious to know what your motives were. If you took an honest query and turned that into something negative, that is aaaallll your problem.

(31-07-2012 01:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Making fun of me
He's made 3795 posts, so far (3705 of which seem to be photos of his wife).

Now, really... ask Santa Claus for a sense of humour next Xmas. You are either ridiculously sensitive, or you're deliberately looking for an argument. Hush now.

(31-07-2012 01:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  How does that justify carrying the angst over here? From what you just said, it seems you are openly prejudice and judgmental and practice the very definition of stereotyping.

I gave my background and explained my reasoning for being curious about you. I have good grounds to be suspicious precisely because of my background. You eventually answered my query. I won't query you again (on that matter). Communication works well in both directions, not just one.

And then you went on to call me a hypocrite... the gun-loving Christian calling someone a hypocrite... Yeah. OK.

Here is why I became defensive to your quips and didn't see them as jokes.

I have had no previous dealings with you except on the gun control thread. In that thread we butted heads a bit. So, I see your musings as taking pots shots at me that are completely unwarranted.

This feeling developed based on our brief encounter because that is all that we have to go on.

If say, Lucradis made that comment about my wife, I would have laughed it off because we have a very developed relationship with each other on the forum; and, I know he meant it in good fun.

There are three levels of sarcasm:

facetiousness - a fun, innocent ribbing between individuals with no malicious intent
Morondog would be an example of someone who is facetious with me.

sarcasm - a semi-serious ribbing whose intent is to point out personal disagreement without being harsh. The intent of sarcasm is to you get your point across, though.
Kim would be an example of someone who is sarcastic to me.

being sardonic - a cruel, malicious ribbing with the intent to insult and bring into light personal discontent with the other person.
TalledegaTom would be a person who is sardonic to me.

Your comments, as others have said, come across as harsh. Your tone seems to be filled with discontent and angst, so I perceived that you were being sardonic towards me.

This is why I responded that way.

I would like to understand you and your point of view better so that we can avoid that anything like that ever again.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
01-08-2012, 08:43 AM
RE: The hash out thread
(01-08-2012 08:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  being sardonic - a cruel, malicious ribbing with the intent to insult and bring into light personal discontent with the other person.
TalledegaTom would be a person who is sardonic to me.

This puzzled me, I confess. It seems too negative. If I had pick a personification of Sardonicism, I would choose Christopher Hitchens.

Wiki says:
Sardonicism (from Latin: Risus sardonicus, a grin from spasm of the facial muscles associated with tetanus and other poisonings) is the expression of derision, cynicism or skeptical humour variously through comment, gesture or writing.

Example 1:
An example of Sardonic humour: When Lord Holland was dying he knew that the necrophile, George Selwyn, was likely to call on him. He said to his servant: if Mr Selwyn calls, show him up. If I'm alive, I'll be pleased to see him; if I'm dead, he'll be pleased to see me.

Exmaple 2:
My eyebrow (singular) which I raise in an ironic way.

Also from Wiki:
1.Scornfully mocking or cynical. He distances himself from people with his nasty, sardonic laughter.
2.Disdainfully or ironically humorous.

So, I understood it to be No2 and therefore I think "cruel, malicious" are a bit too strong but No1 is close to your definition.
I wasn't aware of that definition so thanks, I've been edumacated

Cheers

01-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Dammit. Communication? I thought this thread was going to be about potatoes...or corned beef...or refined weed. Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
01-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Hash Brownies

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
01-08-2012, 12:17 PM
(01-08-2012 12:14 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  Hash Brownies

"You're a bad, bad Rastafarian." Laughat

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-08-2012, 12:25 PM
(01-08-2012 12:14 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  Hash Brownies

I love that movie.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
01-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Quote:I love that movie.

Best movie - ever! Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
01-08-2012, 12:36 PM
[Image: eurotrip.jpg]

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
01-08-2012, 12:54 PM
(01-08-2012 08:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Since I'm a communications graduate, I believe 90% of problems can be solved by effective communication.

So 10% can't? what problems would those be?

uh, those are the ones we don't talk about...

Tongue

And y'know, things like engineering problems...Hobo
01-08-2012, 01:05 PM
(01-08-2012 12:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  So 10% can't? what problems would those be?
Delusional problems, I suppose. Rolleyes

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post