The healing power of Magnets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2015, 04:20 PM
RE: The healing power of Magnets
(06-01-2015 04:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 04:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  In this small village I know of at least two psychic shops.

I am surrounded by this crap, now you can better understand why I’m on the forum so often. Weeping

You are awfully close the The Bermuda Triangle™.

Yes. Yes I am. I suppose it’s more interesting than being in the Bible Belt.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Actually, there is a high tech magnetic type of machine called transcranial magnetic stimulation, TMS, that is used for depression. It's been approved by the FDA. It has various degrees of success. This, from the NY Times.

"Dr. George was an investigator in the first independent, randomized trial of repetitive TMS to treat resistant depression. While that study found that nearly three times as many patients went into remission after TMS treatment, compared with those receiving a placebo, the absolute numbers were still small: Only 14 percent of treated patients recovered, compared with 5 percent in the placebo group."

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/01...sion/?_r=0

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
06-01-2015, 04:24 PM
(06-01-2015 04:20 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Actually, there is a high tech magnetic type of machine called transcranial magnetic stimulation, TMS, that is used for depression. It's been approved by the FDA. It has various degrees of success. This, from the NY Times.

"Dr. George was an investigator in the first independent, randomized trial of repetitive TMS to treat resistant depression. While that study found that nearly three times as many patients went into remission after TMS treatment, compared with those receiving a placebo, the absolute numbers were still small: Only 14 percent of treated patients recovered, compared with 5 percent in the placebo group."

Interesting, even Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic use it. Consider

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/psychiatr...ation/tms/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedur...c-20020555

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-01-2015, 04:40 PM
(06-01-2015 04:20 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Actually, there is a high tech magnetic type of machine called transcranial magnetic stimulation, TMS, that is used for depression. It's been approved by the FDA. It has various degrees of success. This, from the NY Times.

The careful use of a calibrated electromagnet to inductively stimulate specific brain activity is very much a real, attested, clinically verifiable thing.

"Lol magnets", not so much.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
06-01-2015, 04:48 PM
(06-01-2015 04:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

The careful use of a calibrated electromagnet to inductively stimulate specific brain activity is very much a real, attested, clinically verifiable thing.

Maybe if I use a big enough magnet and this...

[Image: Duct-Tape-2.jpeg]

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-01-2015, 05:30 PM
(06-01-2015 04:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Yeah, they ain't using refrigerator magnets in those things.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
06-01-2015, 06:47 PM
(06-01-2015 04:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My mom shoves Vicks vaporub up her nose and swears by it, I suppose I’d swear too if I had Vicks vaporub up my nose. Rolleyes

In fairness to your mom, Vicks vaporub will at least help with the symptoms. And, they aren't claiming its a cure.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
06-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Our dentist in SC was a damn good dentist but shortly before we moved he and his wife (office manager) started pushing magnet bracelets and other things for pain. Bands with magnets to wear near knees or ankles, stuff like that. Looked like a pyramid scheme kind of a thing.

I don't recall the name of the seller but I know when I looked it up there were 'testimonials' but nothing of a scientific nature regarding the effectiveness or lack thereof.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
06-01-2015, 06:54 PM
(06-01-2015 02:05 PM)cjlr Wrote:  IT TOTALLY WORKS CUZ MAGNETS USE THE QUANTUMS, FC

I really wonder what goes through people's heads to get them to a point where they can form and articulate such pure nonsense.
Oh, I heard of that jazz, there is a similar practice in reflexology, but they use the foot as the road map of the body. I swear the whole practice was set up by a foot fetishist. There was a foot "spa" in town once with those charts, all the windows had the curtains drawn who knows what actually went on over there.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
06-01-2015, 06:58 PM
(06-01-2015 03:36 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I was under the impression that the iron in our bodies was basically bound to hemoglobin, and no longer ferromagnetic.

Woooooooo
but, but, MagnetoSadcryface

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post