The healing power of Magnets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2015, 07:25 PM
RE: The healing power of Magnets
My grandma used a magnetic bracelet for a while. She said it helped with her arthritis, and you know what... she always put it on right after taking her pain meds. Go figure.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
06-01-2015, 07:44 PM
(06-01-2015 06:58 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 03:36 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I was under the impression that the iron in our bodies was basically bound to hemoglobin, and no longer ferromagnetic.

Woooooooo
but, but, MagnetoSadcryface

Well to stop you from crying...

I think the guard was injected with an iron solution that may have been manufactured to remain free in the blood.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
06-01-2015, 07:49 PM
(06-01-2015 01:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Went to see a masseuse today for a pinched nerve in my lower back, at one point she suggests I should tape a magnet where it hurts.

I she suggested that to me, I would have said...

[Image: icp_how_do_magnets_work.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
06-01-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm guessing that this is one snake oil alternative medicine we won't be seeing used to enhance penis size any time soon.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
06-01-2015, 08:58 PM
Maybe magnets are good for bipolar disorder. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
06-01-2015, 09:41 PM
[Image: 250px-081Magnemite.png]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
06-01-2015, 09:56 PM
A couple of years ago this little boy was killed when an MRI scanner pulled a oxygen canister across the room and killed the child in the MRI machine.

It was so sad. Just heartbreaking.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92745

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-01-2015, 09:09 PM
Þe idea is þat þe magnet draws þe iron in þe blood to þe injured area, quickening healing.

If you want to see how well þis works get some blood and try using a magnet on it. Noþing will happen.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
11-01-2015, 09:23 PM
(06-01-2015 06:58 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 03:36 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I was under the impression that the iron in our bodies was basically bound to hemoglobin, and no longer ferromagnetic.

Woooooooo
but, but, MagnetoSadcryface

Magneto has been able to manipulate non-magnetic materials from the word go. For example: His magic helmet oscillates between magnetic and non-magnetic depending on the writer, he's able to move the silver coin in First Class and able to manipulate copper wring in the source material.

He's generally reconed nowadays to be the "Master of the electro-magnetic spectrum." Though I'm fairly certain that just raises more questions.

So basically:
[Image: 7221f725e518793a71eaec4da3d0d5b60fa961b3...dc331e.jpg]

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
13-01-2015, 12:01 PM
(06-01-2015 01:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Went to see a masseuse today for a pinched nerve in my lower back, at one point she suggests I should tape a magnet where it hurts.

Anyone else heard about this "remedy"?

I would have to say no. The reasoning is this: if you want to alleviate pain, that requires some chemical function to take place (like how ibuprofen works). Magnetism serves no real purpose chemically. The bread and butter of organic chemistry is NMR (which is what MRI was developed from). In this, we use magnets to assist in the determining of a structure. This requires putting a sample into a very high field magnet and irradiating it with radio waves. A boiler plate NMR these days is 400-500 MHz although they can go higher. A 500 MHz instrument has a magnet with the strength of 11.7 T. To put that in perspective, the Earth tops out at about 65 uT at the surface. These magnets are extremely powerful and you can actually watch reactions take place by NMR. This is of course he exact same chemistry that occurs outside the magnet which shows that the magnets are having no measurable effect. The only effect that a magnet has on an atom is to align the spin, and that is only if the atom itself has spin which not all do (carbon 12 for example, no spin). MRI's are very similar to NMR. For anyone who has had an MRI, I seriously doubt that they thought they were treated by it. If there were any truth to it, that would be a VERY hot therapeutic area.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post