The heroism of motherhood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2017, 05:40 PM
The heroism of motherhood
My mom is old. She knows she's going senile. Her body is failing her. However, she's very content. She's had a hard life but this is the happiest she's ever been. Her perseverance is inspiring. I'm glad her other children and I have all lived to watch how great she is at growing old.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like I'mFred's post
21-03-2017, 06:12 PM
RE: The heroism of motherhood
It sounds like you have a very special mom. Hugs to you!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
21-03-2017, 06:20 PM
(21-03-2017 05:40 PM)ImFred Wrote:  My mom is old. She knows she's going senile. Her body is failing her. However, she's very content. She's had a hard life but this is the happiest she's ever been. Her perseverance is inspiring. I'm glad her other children and I have all lived to watch how great she is at growing old.

Unfortunatey my mother-in-law fell apart with dementia in the last several years of her life. We lived right next door to take care of her and she called on the phone all the time, even if she didn't need anything. (We counted 33 calls one afternoon and evening.) Sometimes she thought we had called her. Mostly she asked the same questions over and over. In the end, we had to babysit her regularly. At a point, she couldn't tell the difference between reality and fantasy on the TV. She thought a talking dog on one show was real. She blamed my wife for her problems and wouldn't believe what we told her. It was very difficult for my wife and me.
21-03-2017, 07:32 PM
That's rough. I know deterioration is inevitable but I hope she goes easier than that. Both of my wife's parents have been battling cancer. It's hard but Alzheimer's is the worst or at least one of the really bad ones.

My wife is also a non-believer so I think that makes it easier on us as a couple. Others find comfort in religion but we're good with the fact that this is it. All we have to get through is this.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
21-03-2017, 07:57 PM
(21-03-2017 05:40 PM)ImFred Wrote:  My mom is old. She knows she's going senile. Her body is failing her. However, she's very content. She's had a hard life but this is the happiest she's ever been. Her perseverance is inspiring. I'm glad her other children and I have all lived to watch how great she is at growing old.

> When I consider how my mom put up with some of the antics I pulled when I was a kid, she is truly a hero. She will be 96 in May. Although somewhat enfeebled, her mind is still sharp and she plays a wicked game of Mahjong. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post