The hidden attack on whiteness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2014, 04:48 PM
RE: The hidden attack on whiteness
(02-10-2014 04:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think you may be wrong on this one. Consider

Always a possibility.

Of course there is reverse racism: self righteousness knows no bounds.
Often when the impoverished make some ground they become worse than their former mentors, irrrespective of race or colour.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
02-10-2014, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 07:29 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(26-09-2014 07:47 AM)Spade=Spade Wrote:  Unlike other forms of racism which are rife within Western culture, the attack on whiteness is a hidden one, which gives it an exponentially stronger longevity.

It's longevity has more to do with the central role Whites play in promoting and enforcing the concept of race than it has to do with subtlety.

Quote:Consider the following narratives and the associated stereotypes they produce.

1) Black people struggle to get jobs because of discrimination
Stereotype = white employers are racists

It has far more to do than with just outright employment discrimination, although I suppose you could focus on such for Blacks that come from middle-class backgrounds. But Blacks as a whole are disproportionally composed of impoverished populations; with underdeveloped educational institutes compounded by a lack of unskilled labor employment; fractured families and community fragmentation; and confinement to environments removed from easy access to basic amenities, institutions, and facilities having significant influence on the employment deficit as well.

Quote:2) Black people are victims of police brutality
Stereotype = white police are racists

They might not all be racist, but it's a well-demonstrated and well-known fact that racial profiling is an official law enforcement policy. The American legal system ---law enforcement, the courts, and the penal institutions--- is one of the few segments of our society where the remnants of blatantly overt anti-black prejudice is still encoded and active. That doesn't meant that all white police are bigoted racist dickwads (although quite a few are), but it does mean that black individuals are more likely to be assumed as associated with deviancy and black communities are unduly subject to heavier oversight of law enforcement.

Quote:3) White people don't know how lucky they are
Stereotype = white people have no skill, only luck

White people really don't know how lucky they are, that is the benefit of white privilege. As the main beneficiaries of a construct codified for their own betterment, Whites can go about their life without having to be conscious of their own race. No other race is granted this privilege since they will meet not only prejudice, but outright disadvantages in some aspect, whether it be socio-cultural, economic, political, or some combination of the three.

Quote:4) White people are ignorant of other cultures
Stereotype = Only white people are ignorant of other cultures

The only valid example of the bunch.

Quote:5) Indian, Arab, Asian, Black & Latino people (among others) can all claim to be "people of colour"
Stereotype = White people are excluded and different.

It's actually the exact opposite. White is viewed as the standard within American society, every other race is a mark off from the standard, i.e. people of color.

Quote:From the above, it is easy to see how an anti-white sentiment can flourish. The attack on whiteness is hidden in the sub-text, whilst most other forms of racism are explicit.

It is also important to note that the attack on whiteness isn't necessarily anyone's fault. Our culture promotes it currently and anyone can be a protagonist - even white people.

Correct, it can be perpetrated by anybody. It does not flourish, however, due to hiding within subtexts. It flourishes because Whites have historically imposed the racial hierarchy on all within society, and continue to do so (due to either deliberate use of antagonistic force or simply ignorance, sometimes both).

Quote:Does context play a part? Sure. One only needs to google the history of slavery or apartheid to get an understanding of the causes of this culture. But it's important to ask whether context makes something right or whether it makes something understandable. Everything has prior cause. Prior cause renders everything understandable. It doesn't render everything "right".

It may be understandable when someone kills another man out of revenge. Perhaps his victim had killed one of his family members or committed some other such heinous crime against him. In light of context, we can understand why negative actions transpire. Whether we should consider the act of killing someone "righteous" is another question. Do we really want to live in a world where killing is seen as "right"? Doesn't violence perpetuate violence? Could we summise that a world in which people get revenge on things as heated as murder would be a world in which this undesired act would be perpetuated?

Similarly then, negative feelings toward whiteness can be scrutinised in the same light. If we deem it righteous that white people should be made to feel guilty, stereotyped as racists or live with the burden of political correctness, then we are perpetuating racism. Just like the previous example in the paragraph above, we can easily picture a world in which a growing white resentment will reach boiling point after X number of decades and a reverse sentiment will begin to emerge.

White individuals should be detached from the history of whiteness. For if they are to inherit an exclusive burden of guilt which no other group has to live with, then they should also be granted exclusive rights to the technology and modern medicine that their forefathers developed.... To live in this undesirable way would be to live in a racially exclusive society. If we want to choose the much happier racially inclusive society, then we need to address our culture which currently allows for anti-white sentiment for bad parts of their history but does nothing for the good parts of their history.

You are completely misconstruing what these types of observations intend to accomplish. It's not about guilt-burdening white people with subliminal reverse-stereotypes, it's pointing out obvious flaws in an irrational system that pervasively imposes injustices across every facet of society. Whites are the most prosperous race within this hierarchy and will play a role in all the inequities it distributes, but this does not mean that every white person is to blame for it, nor should most of the examples you made be interpreted as such. Guilting Whites into the docility of political correctness only allows them to further ignore the problem by restricting them from speaking about it.

Instead, Whites should be fully educated and aware on the nature of the dynamics they shape (as mentioned earlier, many don't need to be since they are simply handed the fruits the system grows for them) because they will be needed to play a pivotal role if we are to ever deconstruct the roots that race has imbedded within our society.

Quote:By all means, let's address equality issues in other areas, like economic empowerment, policing etc... But when it comes to our current culture, we absolutely have to be colour-blind in order to live in an inclusive society. We all share the burden of our planet's violent past and we all share the fruits of our forefathers' innovation.

Thank you.

Absolutely, I am all for throwing out race as a valid concept, because it really isn't. But in order to do away with an idea which has caused nothing but division and conflict, we must be cognizant of the fact that as a society, we have not yet reached this point. Race is not a reality, but the consequences of societies that treat it as legitimate is.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 8 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
02-10-2014, 07:10 PM
While I don't disagree entirely with the OP, I still think Louis CK has it right and I'm not sweating the persecution of whites just yet.....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
02-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Erm yeh, as white girl in the Deep South historically known for its overt racism towards "non-whites", I am afraid to touch a topic like this with a ten foot pole - which kinda emphasizes the point of the OP.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
02-10-2014, 09:36 PM
(02-10-2014 04:48 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 04:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Always a possibility.

Of course there is reverse racism: self righteousness knows no bounds.
Often when the impoverished make some ground they become worse than their former mentors, irrrespective of race or colour.

I've never much cared for the term 'reverse racism'. It seems to imply only whites are racist but occasionally someone of a different color might be racist too.

Racist is racist.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
02-10-2014, 11:31 PM
It just seems like such a fucking retarded thing to discriminate about Angry And the fact that... historically... so much shit has gone down based on it means that even if one would *like* to just ignore it and get on with life, like religion, it's just so fucking in your face that you have to pay it some attention.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
03-10-2014, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 05:16 AM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(02-10-2014 11:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  It just seems like such a fucking retarded thing to discriminate about Angry And the fact that... historically... so much shit has gone down based on it means that even if one would *like* to just ignore it and get on with life, like religion, it's just so fucking in your face that you have to pay it some attention.

As I stated before in my much longer post, I simply don't consider race to be either a clearly defined or a legitimately functional concept in its own right. My approach to race is what is known as the Thomas Theorem: that which is defined as real is real in its consequences.

Race is a fiction; it doesn't really exist in the way many believe it to and even more importantly it fails to remain consistently meaningful in shifting contexts (I could talk about why all day). What is not a fiction are the very real consequences of societies that do treat race as a valid concept upon which social inequity is structured around. So when somebody claims they wish to be "color-blind," they would be wise to figure out what part of the "color" they will be blind to: the skin, or the consequences? Ignoring the first is what will bring us closer to social harmony, ignoring the second would just be contributing to the problem, and is something many people are already guilty of.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 9 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
03-10-2014, 09:41 AM
(26-09-2014 07:47 AM)Spade=Spade Wrote:  1) Black people struggle to get jobs because of discrimination
Stereotype = white employers are racists

2) Black people are victims of police brutality
Stereotype = white police are racists

3) White people don't know how lucky they are
Stereotype = white people have no skill, only luck

4) White people are ignorant of other cultures
Stereotype = Only white people are ignorant of other cultures

5) Indian, Arab, Asian, Black & Latino people (among others) can all claim to be "people of colour"
Stereotype = White people are excluded and different.

I don't agree with the finding of stereotyping.

1) Conclusion - some white employers are racist - and that's fact, not stereotype.

2) Conclusion - some white police are racist - and that's fact, not stereotype.

3) "Luck" in that context applies to fortune, not skill, as in the good fortune to be born into the race that is probably the least discriminated against. In societies that discriminate against non-whites (even if only some people discriminate), then whiteness is an advantage. "White people don't know how lucky they are" simply points out that advantage; which is fact, not stereotype.

4) This is the only one I might agree with.

5) This one is a serious stretch. Obviously white people are the exception to the "people of color" category, by definition. I'm just not seeing the harm here. Is it racist to use the term "women" because it excludes and therefore "stereotypes" or "discriminates against" men? Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
04-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Thanks to progressives we now have state-sanctioned racism against whites; affirmative action. Of course, if you point this out, you are a racist.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
05-10-2014, 04:40 AM
(04-10-2014 07:41 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Thanks to progressives we now have state-sanctioned racism against whites; affirmative action. Of course, if you point this out, you are a racist.

Rolleyes You're not racist, you're just an idiot.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post