The hidden attack on whiteness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2014, 02:09 PM
RE: The hidden attack on whiteness
(06-10-2014 01:55 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 01:53 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Who are you referring to with this?

Mostly morondog and Revs, but also cjlr.

Cute.

If you've ever managed to string together enough informed, coherent thoughts to constitute valid criticism, let me know.
(let us fondly recall here your, ah, tirade against monarchy - one of your first bits of performance art on this forum - wherein the conviction with which you held your opinions was inversely proportional to your knowledge; let us also note that seems a consistent pattern for you)

When I think of you, those aren't exactly the words that come to mind.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2014, 02:12 PM
(07-10-2014 01:04 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
Quote:The real problem, as recent history makes painfully clear, is an industrial capitalist economic system in which the interests of working families of all races have always been secondary to the accumulation of wealth and power by the upper classes.
I completely agree with this part.

But if the idea is to help the economically disadvantaged then why not have affirmative action on the basis of income rather than race? Also consider that whites are the majority, and makeup most of the impoverished people in America. Why shouldn't poor whites be given the same opportunities as poor non-whites.
The part that you quoted is discussing that one difficulty of some whites attaining a higher education isn't affirmative action, but lower socioeconomic status. That's not a statement about affirmative action itself and so it's beside the point of this thread.

The idea of affirmative action isn't to help the economically disadvantaged, it's to combat the ill effects of racism and discrimination. And it's not just for blacks, it's for people discriminated against on the basis of race, religion, sex, or national origin.

(07-10-2014 01:04 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I'll also point out that a rational response to a posted article is more than I could ever hope to get form EK, morondog or Revs.
I disagree. I've seen each of them give rational responses plenty of times, but it depends on the person they are replying to being genuinely interested, intellectually honest, and open to new ideas and information.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
07-10-2014, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 09:53 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(07-10-2014 01:04 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Never said he was perfect, I said he one one of the greatest Presidents. Racist views on native Americans were ordinary at the time, and all he wanted with immigration was to preserve America's ethnic and cultural composition.

Yeah, but being a racist and a rampant nativist are very un-Progressive attributes. Just saying...

(07-10-2014 01:04 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  What? I was referring to the popular feminist misconception that gender is a social construct (that must be smashed). And while I do see where your coming from, if you are bothered by a bikini girl as someone's desktop background, then yo are a hypersensitive PC twit. Same goes for any man who is offended by pictures of hot guys.

Oh boy, I'm sure we all can't wait to hear what surely enlightened opinions you have on gender roles and identities. No really, go ahead and explain how women not being allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia is not a socially constructed gender role. No, it's okay, we'll wait... Drinking Beverage

Also, if you're at work and on a work computer, they (your employer) have every right to make you change 'your' desktop to fall within company policy and so as not to discriminate or create a hostile work environment for your fellow employees. You might figure this out one day, you know, when you actually get a job.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-10-2014, 11:20 PM
(07-10-2014 02:12 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 01:04 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I'll also point out that a rational response to a posted article is more than I could ever hope to get form EK, morondog or Revs.
I disagree. I've seen each of them give rational responses plenty of times, but it depends on the person they are replying to being genuinely interested, intellectually honest, and open to new ideas and information.

*And me not feeling like dicking with the person that particular day.

Poor ol' RP, you feel slighted 'cos you came here, built yourself a well deserved reputation as a troll and now want to be taken seriously? Gimme a break Rolleyes Rational response? How about you don't post drivel for say... the next 50 posts? Ya know, stuff like "Feminists want more rape so they can look good", that kinda stuff. You say that shit and think you have a right to "rational response". Laughat

Fucken brat.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-10-2014, 05:12 AM
Res Publica being a stupid fuck? What else is new.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
10-10-2014, 04:04 AM
Just had a skim-read through most replies. Thanks to everyone who gave their thoughts - both positive and negative. I won't be able to address all criticisms individually so will instead deal (briefly) with what I think is the presiding theme of most critics to the OP.

Here are my responses to what I have read:

1) Let me be clear. When I talk about the hidden attack on whiteness. I am not trying to conjure up imagery of people. I am not trying to depict a union of non-white people who are plotting the downfall of Caucasians. What I am trying to do is personify Western culture (an intangible driver of societal behaviour) so as to put it on trial. I make this point to emphasise that I am not criticizing the behaviour of black people, nor any other race. I am criticising culture. For this reason, the responses of some members who claimed I was drawing a "false equivalency" between racism against black people and racism against white people have misunderstood the OP. This is not a tit for tat post. I want to eradicate racism against blackness from our culture as much as the next guy. The difference is, we are making progress in this endeavour whereas we are blind to the racism against whiteness in our culture.... When you focus on culture as a driver of racism, and not people, you will (hopefully) be able to see my point in the OP.

2) The title of the OP is (I have realised) somewhat badly worded... The word "attack" implies conscious intent. It makes for good click-bait but in truth I should re-word that as it doesn't accurately express my point. Racism against whiteness (like all other forms of racism) is very often unconscious. Hence its longevity. Culture simply frowns on certain forms of prejudice but not others. If we want a happier world, we should be constantly looking to tweak areas of societal life for the better. Amending our culture so that whiteness isn't constantly associated with racism might just be one such tweak we could make... So apologies for using the word "attack" in the title. I think it put certain posters on the wrong foot and this is my fault.

3) Thanks to those who noted that the negative RP kinda proves my point. Make a post about cultural shortcomings insofar as whiteness is concerned and you get negative RP. Do the same thing about blackness and you get positive RP. The point of my OP was pretty much demonstrated by this response.

4) Brief point but two things to highlight from what I read in the responses... Firstly the term "People of colour" in my opinion is a racist term. It excludes white people for no reason. White is a colour. Why should we have a term that collectively groups all non-white people. Why for example isn't their a term then that collectively groups all non-indians or all non-Asians?... Again, the point of my thesis summed up in this one question... Furthermore, the term "Reverse-racism" is in my opinion, a racist term. Racism is racism. It doesn't matter who is doing it to who. It's like violence. We don't have a term for "reverse violence". Violence is violence and racism is racism. If you read deeply enough into this, it again sums up the point of the OP.

Thanks
10-10-2014, 04:45 AM
I never expected you would return to the forum so I never bothered the respond.

To conflate any cultural movement as an attack on whiteness is intentionally looking to bait.

There is a shift to realize, Hey there's a segment of of people in some areas that have been the dominant force for no rational reason. We should probably combat that because we desire more equality.... that just happens to be a knock against most whites of Northern/Western hemispheres.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-10-2014, 04:53 AM
(07-10-2014 02:58 AM)Dee Wrote:  
(26-09-2014 07:47 AM)Spade=Spade Wrote:  Unlike other forms of racism which are rife within Western culture, the attack on whiteness is a hidden one, which gives it an exponentially stronger longevity.

Consider the following narratives and the associated stereotypes they produce.

1) Black people struggle to get jobs because of discrimination
Stereotype = white employers are racists

2) Black people are victims of police brutality
Stereotype = white police are racists

3) White people don't know how lucky they are
Stereotype = white people have no skill, only luck

4) White people are ignorant of other cultures
Stereotype = Only white people are ignorant of other cultures

5) Indian, Arab, Asian, Black & Latino people (among others) can all claim to be "people of colour"
Stereotype = White people are excluded and different.

From the above, it is easy to see how an anti-white sentiment can flourish. The attack on whiteness is hidden in the sub-text, whilst most other forms of racism are explicit.

Run this by me again when white dominant culture no longer exists and white people are a minority:

when Mona Lisa and her white relatives mean nothing, when Hollywood is not dominated by blonds, when black cops start beating up whites, when my non white neighbors hang a white dummy on a pole in my yard and burns it, when my child is called whitey and feels it in her heart.

Why would we wait for that day to come? Surely that's a worse world to live in? Surely we should amend our culture now to avoid such negative outcomes if they were a future possibility for us?

This is where I'm coming from... Start by imagining the best possible world where everyone is happy and living in peace. Now look at our current world and ask yourself how we get from A to B.

I have shone a light on our cultural shortcomings insofar as they associate whiteness with racism... This doesn't mean I am not opposed to the well known cultural shortcomings which negatively affect Blackness, Arabness, Asian-ness, gayness etc.
10-10-2014, 05:02 AM
Quote:whereas we are blind to the racism against whiteness in our culture

I dunno. What I think you're referring to as some sort of subtle behind the scenes white racist thing I think is actually others gaining things (such as equal rights and shit) and so whites are going from being superior to equal. So it's not racism, it's everyone else being bumped up to the same level of white people and so white people aren't all special any more.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
10-10-2014, 05:03 AM
(10-10-2014 04:45 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I never expected you would return to the forum so I never bothered the respond.

To conflate any cultural movement as an attack on whiteness is intentionally looking to bait.

There is a shift to realize, Hey there's a segment of of people in some areas that have been the dominant force for no rational reason. We should probably combat that because we desire more equality.... that just happens to be a knock against most whites of Northern/Western hemispheres.

1) The word "attack" was unfortunate as I expressed above. I intended to personify Culture and put it on trial. I should have anticipated the inevitable confusion it created with some people.

2) As per my OP, let's by all means address tangible inequalities amongst racial groups caused by our ancestors, but this does not mean that racism isn't racism.

Your example is too simplistic. It should read as follows:

"Hey there's a segment of people whose ancestors mostly dominated the planet and now they have inherited better fortune as a result. Let's work towards redistribution of wealth and equality, without irrational contempt for that segment of people because we realise that they have no control of the historical behaviour of their ancestors."