The history documentary thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2014, 09:37 AM
The history documentary thread
A History of Scotland:

Is an amazing series created by BBC Scotland and presented by historian Neil Oliver. It consists of 10 episodes, each lasting an hour telling the history of the Scotish nation and culture from the Roman era to the beginning of the 21st century. The BBC is known for making some of the best documentaries on TV, yet what makes this so special is the theme of the documentary which is to break common myths that people have about Scotish history. It tells a well researched and honest as possible story that is every bit as fascinating as the popular myths.

My favorite episodes are episodes 3, 5, 8 and 10.

I know you will enjoy:

Vikings:

There are hardly any good documentaries on the history of the Vikings out there. And most are outright shit and grotesk, like that hideous "History" Channel program. This BBC series which is also presented by Scotish historian Neil Oliver also has a myth breaking theme to it as he travels through Scandinavia, Russian, Britain and even the middle east to explore the history, culture and legacy of these mystified peoples. It consists of 3 episodes, each lasting an hour, telling the history of the vikings from the Roman era to the founding of modern Scandinavian Kingdoms at the turn of the first millenia.

Also very enjoyable and will certainly teach you things that you didnt know before:

The Story of Ireland:

Is simply amazing! Presented by Fergal Keane, the BBC`s correspondent for Ireland, it tells a sometimes even personal story of a nations history. It amazingly manages to summerise almoust 3000 years of Irish history in 5 one hour episodes, without any of the content getting lost throughout this amazing tale. I guarantee to you, that there are notions you had of Ireland that will be busted and there are things in this documentary that you didn`t know before.

Unfortunatly, I am limited to the BBC in documentaries that I could share with you due to a language barrier. We have 2 wonderfull channel here "arte" a French-German broadcasting project and "3sat" a German-Austrian-Swiss broadcasting project, which produce and broadcast amazing documentaries on history, but unfortunatly only in French and German.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
16-01-2014, 10:59 AM
RE: The history documentary thread

TL;DW version It's all bullshit the archeology shows none of the bible happened as stated.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-01-2014, 03:35 PM
The Story of Ireland:

Is simply amazing! Presented by Fergal Keane, the BBC`s correspondent for Ireland, it tells a sometimes even personal story of a nations history. It amazingly manages to summerise almoust 3000 years of Irish history in 5 one hour episodes, without any of the content getting lost throughout this amazing tale. I guarantee to you, that there are notions you had of Ireland that will be busted and there are things in this documentary that you didn`t know before.

I have to agree with what TGAC about above. I'm Irish and even I was surprised at some of the revelations about our history. BBC is definitely one of the best channels for documentaries. Channel 4 is not bad either.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
17-01-2014, 08:33 PM
There's also this...

The stars are matter, we are matter... but it doesn't matter. - Captain Beefheart
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
18-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Looks interesting. I hope I get time to watch it soon.
19-01-2014, 01:22 PM

Heh.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
21-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Oh, I'm excited! I can't wait to get home so I can watch these. A good documentary is, more often than not, better than movies.

21-01-2014, 07:48 PM
I had no idea that Wales is such a left wing place, I always thought of it as very conservative and rural.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
21-01-2014, 10:03 PM
I've started the Vikings series TGAC linked in the OP. I'm gonna let this one put me to sleep. It's episode 2.

Enjoy. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]