The holidays are here at last....{puts gun in mouth}

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2013, 11:22 PM
The holidays are here at last....{puts gun in mouth}
Oh what a happy, homecoming.....I mean hurtful, harrowing time of year!

My family is shattered now. What once was a grand gathering has become a handful of small groups huddled in half a dozen homes across the state.

The moral and peaceful religious folks have gotten so bitter toward each other that many will not even speak on the phone anymore.

Being the baby of the family, I am the only one who can freely visit all of them. Only problem is, I am also the dreaded atheist of the bunch.

So, we have the annual reading of the Christmas story that I can almost recite by memory, and the Q&A session that follows to "remember the reason for the season". Isn't it odd that the most religious time of year is also the coldest and most bitter?

This year is set to be one of the worst on record for little old me. Word has gotten around that I have been seeing a pdoc and am medicated for bipolar type 2.

My mother told me just last week that I didn't have a problem at all. What I had was "growing pains" and that if I would just give my heart back to Jesus everything would be peachy. You know, the same Jesus that I called on at 16 and devoted my life to, only to be cut off for no apparent reason. Have you met him?

Cilla, my step-sister has gotten married in the last year and reaffirmed her faith. So I am now the only child left to convert. If I resist, then I am not only defying my elders, I am doing it on Jesus's birthday of all times!

For someone who is so full of Satan that I am cracking up, I sure do take a good beating in the name of peace and family. Perhaps this year I should simply speak my mind and join the other (religious) jokers who have broken the bonds of blood. Perhaps I will be the bad guy in earnest this year.

Hell, what is the worst that could happen? If I must dine with the devil, it will assuredly be warmer Evil_monster

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2013, 11:35 PM
RE: The holidays are here at last....{puts gun in mouth}
I feel your pain. My family doesn't even know I'm an atheist yet. It's all very cringe-worthy, isn't it? Especially when you used to believe, and suddenly it's all being thrown back in your face again. Christian mothers hoping for you to return to church... terrible. Even worse when they won't even validate a real medical condition that you are being treated for.

I think it would be better to keep the peace. Speak your mind if they ask you your opinion, don't let them push you around, of course, but at the same time (Even though it's so tempting to expose their silly beliefs for what they are) it's probably better to show that you're the more reasonable and respectful person. Either way, I hope you survive the holiday season okay. It's a little too soon for Hell. Tongue
23-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Flowergurl's advice is good. I want to add that if they start to get belligerent, politely let them know they are crossing a line, and that you don't appreciate it. If they continue, leave as peacefully as you can.

Are you in a situation where it is possible to avoid these gatherings all together?

Let as much of their comments roll off your back if you can. It may be easier to do if you realize they are only trying to be helpful, no matter how misguided and hurtful they are being. (Unless they are actually just huge assholes who get pleasure out of hurting others). Doesn't mean you have to listen though.

Good luck Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
24-11-2013, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 07:30 AM by BlackMason.)
(23-11-2013 11:22 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  Word has gotten around that I have been seeing a pdoc and am medicated for bipolar type 2.

My mother told me just last week that I didn't have a problem at all. What I had was "growing pains" and that if I would just give my heart back to Jesus everything would be peachy. You know, the same Jesus that I called on at 16 and devoted my life to, only to be cut off for no apparent reason. Have you met him?

Wow!!! Now I don't have to write a thread about my shit. I'm going through the same thing. I genuinely understand what's going on in this case. My mom tells me that the reading problem I had was all made up. She says that Jesus didn't say I have a reading problem. The devil said so. Then she tops it off with "Whose report will you believe? Jesus' or Satan's?". Drives me bat shit crazy!!! The solution is to throw myself whole heartedly to Christ. He will make everything perfect.

It pisses her off that I dared to solve my own problems. I stepped up and faced reality. This of course isn't ideal with those who have disposed themselves to fables. I've noticed that the more religious a person is the more delusional they become. When one operates on 90% faith and 10% reality, there's gonna be problems.

My mom stresses people. After all these years I finally know why my dad left her for a less attractive woman. My dad got stressed by her desire for the high life. My mom has her own unique ways of stressing me too. She's very manipulative and she's someone that can't be reasoned with. She's an ignorant person. She has a high resistance to learning. She doesn't wanna learn. I taught her how to use google to look up anything she fancies. Instead she prefers to make claims during discussions and not substantiate them. If I won the lottery I'd say, "Fuck this shit I'm outta here". I've even been considering suicide. Never thought I'd ever think like that. But my mom is so fucking overwhelming.

That was my little input. I sympathise with you Poltergeist.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
24-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Yup, I am feeling the same way Mason. My mother used to be a wonderful person. And she still is most of the time. It was not until her husband decided to start preaching and pastoring a church that they got this bad. She used to be very laid back and reasonable. Then menopause hit and everything went haywire. She got on anti-depressants and they made her an absolute type A person. Micro managing everything and everyone. Then when the preaching started it has made the micromanaging thing religious in nature. She holds it back pretty well. But my step-dad is bold faced and brazen as a bulldozer.

Last year about this time, I went to visit and was home alone with him. That is when he cornered me and I had to come out as an atheist. He wouldn't let up. I tried my best to put on my politician face and smooth it over, but there was no escaping it (I am very good at diffusing a situation too). We talked for over an hour and got nowhere but farther apart.

He told me that he had never known anyone to go from believing in god to not. I wanted to bring him here and show him the dozens of posts from these guys. I didn't, but I sure wanted to. He is one of those folks who reads the bible and the bible only. No tv other than news, no socializing other than with the church, and no explanation other than god's will.

Smercury, I could get out of it if I wanted, but that would take me simply saying "No, I wont come." That would be just as bad as anything else.

I will do as I always have. Put on my smile and be the most polite and loving little bear that I can. If they could read my mind, it would be interesting indeed. The only thing that saves me is they consider themselves to be vastly smarter than I am. They think that I am too dumb to play the game. That is my best achievement yet! lol

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer