The how many serious injuries have you had thread. :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2016, 07:12 PM
RE: The how many serious injuries have you had thread. :)
(13-03-2016 06:59 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(13-03-2016 06:41 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Did you do martial arts?

Yep. Never stuck with the same one very long due to moving around a lot, though. Kuk Sool Won while stationed in Florida, Aikido and Jujitsu in Japan, Muay Thai after returning to the states, San Da/Chinese kickboxing in China, more San Da and Jujitsu in Vegas. Amazing place for good schools with the high number of pro fighters in the area. That's where I met master Shi Xing Wei, a former monk and ranking San Da competitor back in China. He's the one who shin kicked me in the face and sent me home with my eye swollen shut after I was talking shit about Shaolin kung fu being impractical :/ All in good sport, awesome guy. Since moving to Montreal I've taken up Krav Maga. The Amy also has me do combatives from time to time. Army combatives is similar to BJJ, but with a focus more on getting to a sidearm than going for a submission.

Very cool. I am qualified in 17 styles and practiced 32. Master of Xin yi and highest dan is 4th in TKD.
All that ended when I fractured my spine.
I miss it madly.
I did win 28 full contact fights. No losses. I did muay Thai for years. Loved it. JJS and Chinese wrestling too. First black belt was in tang soo do. I just found the photo of me posing in my new uniform wnen I got home, age 18. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
13-03-2016, 08:37 PM
(13-03-2016 07:12 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(13-03-2016 06:59 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Yep. Never stuck with the same one very long due to moving around a lot, though. Kuk Sool Won while stationed in Florida, Aikido and Jujitsu in Japan, Muay Thai after returning to the states, San Da/Chinese kickboxing in China, more San Da and Jujitsu in Vegas. Amazing place for good schools with the high number of pro fighters in the area. That's where I met master Shi Xing Wei, a former monk and ranking San Da competitor back in China. He's the one who shin kicked me in the face and sent me home with my eye swollen shut after I was talking shit about Shaolin kung fu being impractical :/ All in good sport, awesome guy. Since moving to Montreal I've taken up Krav Maga. The Amy also has me do combatives from time to time. Army combatives is similar to BJJ, but with a focus more on getting to a sidearm than going for a submission.

Very cool. I am qualified in 17 styles and practiced 32. Master of Xin yi and highest dan is 4th in TKD.
All that ended when I fractured my spine.
I miss it madly.
I did win 28 full contact fights. No losses. I did muay Thai for years. Loved it. JJS and Chinese wrestling too. First black belt was in tang soo do. I just found the photo of me posing in my new uniform wnen I got home, age 18. Big Grin

Awesome. Well, not the fractured spine part Sad

I was never in any officially sanctioned fights or anything. The closest I got was attending a few smokers at Master Toddy's, the Muay Thai coach made somewhat famous for training Gina Carano and setting up her first fights in Thailand. He'd hold open tournaments on occasion, and I'd use that as an opportunity to get my ass kicked. I did well enough against casual students and even amateur competitors, but inevitably, if I survived a couple fights, I'd get to a point in the tournament where the only ones left were the ringers who were pretty much training full time to be pro fighters. If I could last a couple rounds with a full time Thai boxer, trade a few kicks, and maybe even establish myself as a legitimate threat before ultimately either making a mistake or simply running out of gas and dropping my defense out of pure exhaustion and getting my ass stomped into the ground, I considered that a psychological victory even if it didn't actually win me anything Smile

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
13-03-2016, 09:33 PM
last day of 7th grade had a severe dislocation of index finger. It was in locker handle in gym class, and some meathead ran headlong into me at just the wrong time.
It did not hurt too bad but the gym teacher just about fainted Big Grin it was laying almost alongside my thumb.
Torn meniscus and subsequent knee surgery.
No broken bones, just cuts and lacerations and dog bites from training and the usual bump and scrapes. I don't bounce back like I used to, so I am careful.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
13-03-2016, 11:56 PM
Separated my right shoulder playing squadron football in the Air Force. Osteopathic surgeon said it was the worst she'd ever seen in her ten years.

Not very serious, but probably most interesting: I got half my left ear bitten off in a fight.

Also picked up a hairline fracture in my right wrist showing my son that dad could still ride a bowl at 44 years old ... on a goddamned mountain bike. The only thing I didn't say was, "Here, hold my beer." Dumbass!
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
14-03-2016, 12:31 AM
Never managed to hurt myself bad enough to require a cast, but I'm pretty sure I've fractured (or come very close to) a few fingers and ribs. Did manage to almost walk away from being hit by a truck while on my motorcycle last November. There are about 4 hours of my life that I cannot remember, but aside from a really sore leg (where the bike landed on top of it), I walked out of the hospital the next day on my own feet. Not many people get to just walk away from a motorcycle accident like that.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
14-03-2016, 01:35 AM
I managed to avoid serious injuries, but still something happened with my leg and as a result I had to walk with very noticeable and painful limp for couple of days. To this day I have no idea what caused this. Other than that only (very?) minor injuries caused by training in my knightly days Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-03-2016, 02:24 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2016 02:40 AM by Black Eagle.)
I've lost track of broken bones. At one time, several years ago, an orthopedic surgeon friend counted 32 healed fractures, in my x-rays, mostly from horses. I've fractured my skull twice and I have some residual problems from those. I used to keep score on stitches and staples from injuries but it turned into too much trouble. I know it's something over 200 not counting surgeries.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I've been shot too by a crazy man who escaped from the state hospital. He shot me in the leg with a .22LR when I was a kid and it really pissed me off. Fortunately, a highway patrolman saw him shooting at me he put an end to it. [He shot the crazy man.]

Oh yeah, I almost forgot again, when I was in the Army, I was in a helicopter crash and got beaten up by that and I also got some shrapnel from a hand grenade in my right forearm. These were training accidents.

I'm sure there are many others that I can't think of right now. For example, in college, I got drunk and fought a Holstein bull. He broke a couple of my ribs and dislocated my right shoulder.
[+] 3 users Like Black Eagle's post
14-03-2016, 03:41 AM
(14-03-2016 02:24 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I've lost track of broken bones. At one time, several years ago, an orthopedic surgeon friend counted 32 healed fractures, in my x-rays, mostly from horses. I've fractured my skull twice and I have some residual problems from those. I used to keep score on stitches and staples from injuries but it turned into too much trouble. I know it's something over 200 not counting surgeries.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I've been shot too by a crazy man who escaped from the state hospital. He shot me in the leg with a .22LR when I was a kid and it really pissed me off. Fortunately, a highway patrolman saw him shooting at me he put an end to it. [He shot the crazy man.]

Oh yeah, I almost forgot again, when I was in the Army, I was in a helicopter crash and got beaten up by that and I also got some shrapnel from a hand grenade in my right forearm. These were training accidents.

I'm sure there are many others that I can't think of right now. For example, in college, I got drunk and fought a Holstein bull. He broke a couple of my ribs and dislocated my right shoulder.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're nicknamed "Lucky".
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
14-03-2016, 05:36 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2016 05:40 AM by Nurse.)
Almost drowned in the Gulf of Mexico when I was four

When I was eight I lost control of my bicycle while racing down a hill, woke up at the bottom with my bicycle on top of me and the other girl's dad who worked night shift running towards me, blood and gravel in my mouth with mildly cracked front teeth (you can still see the white lines if you look close enough...) and busted lips, and an abrasion that encompassed most of my left cheek. Other abrasions, too, but it was the cheek that took so long to heal. No broken bones, though. Probably from going limp from loss of consciousness. I wasn't taken to the hospital - glad I didn't have a head bleed. Would be diagnosed a concussion had I went.

That's really it for serious.

An outlet was wired wrong and threw my hand off of the freezer door. Fortunately it didn't stick me to it or I wouldn't be here.

Didn't have them xrayed but 99.9 percent sure I broke two toes in high school - I was jumping across a creek bed and caught them on rocks.

Sprained my left ankle so many times I've lost count, the worst was last fall when I thought I broke it. I tried wearing heels two weeks ago...still fucking hurts.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
14-03-2016, 06:08 AM
When I was 9, I had the front wheel come off my bicycle and I flew quite a ways (my buddy riding alongside swears I looked just like Superman) -- 3 stitches in the chin.

12 - got myself in the shin with an axe -- 11 stitches.

14 - flipped over a tractor (MM model R) - and got trapped between the body and the rear tires - which were still spinning in road gear. Took off most of the skin on my back, and right side of my neck and chin. Hospitalized 2 weeks -- amazingly - no skin grafts..... (Kids heal quick)

16-30 - several hand injuries - most requiring at least 3 stitches.

32 - Hit a deer on motorcycle -- broke right knee.

33 - blew myself up screwing around with a cannon. 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree burns.

40 - got hit by a truck on motorcycle -- compound fracture lower right leg (bones sticking out), shattered left wrist. Actually got up and tried walking on the ends of the bones. (didn't work -- kept listing to starboard....)

I've gotten to the point where if bones aren't sticking out - it's not major....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post