The human mind - creating fiction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 12:33 PM
The human mind - creating fiction
The human mind is capable of creating fantastic works of fiction. As human beings, we can use our imagination to tell stories about places & people that don't exist. We can also create events about people & places that exist, but use fictional events that never happened using those same people & places as a foundation for our fictional tale.

The question is....
When we hear a story, how do we discern if the story is true or not ?

A theist will believe something is true if it already matches with what they believe is true. They will also deny that something is true if it goes against what they believe is true. For them, the truth is etched in stone and doesn't change. It's not based on observation of reality. It is programming.

Their world view is an illusion that doesn't change. They are locked into it.
Zombies also have a world view that doesn't change. They too are locked into it.

I'm fairly certain you had no idea I was going to talk about zombies in this post.
Actually, I had no idea either. It just came to me. A revelation of sorts.

But I digress, let's get back to how we discern if a story is true or not.

Let's take the stories in the bible.
Might as well start with Genesis.

A human being wrote this story. Many parts of the story are quite unbelievable because when we compare the story to reality, it doesn't match what we observe and with what we know about our history and our biology.

It contains fantastic elements that speak to our imagination and creativity as human beings. As I said before, the human mind can create fictional tales.

As we read Genesis we can discern the truth of it's words by comparing it to our observations of reality. It doesn't match and therefore isn't true.

Truth matches observation.
Lies do not match observation.
Really good lies contain elements of truth to hook a gullible person into believing.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
23-05-2016, 03:10 PM
RE: The human mind - creating fiction
(23-05-2016 12:33 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The human mind is capable of creating fantastic works of fiction. As human beings, we can use our imagination to tell stories about places & people that don't exist. We can also create events about people & places that exist, but use fictional events that never happened using those same people & places as a foundation for our fictional tale.

The question is....

A theist will believe something is true if it already matches with what they believe is true. They will also deny that something is true if it goes against what they believe is true. For them, the truth is etched in stone and doesn't change. It's not based on observation of reality. It is programming.

Zombies also have a world view that doesn't change. They too are locked into it.

I'm fairly certain you had no idea I was going to talk about zombies in this post.

A human being wrote this story. Many parts of the story are quite unbelievable because when we compare the story to reality, it doesn't match what we observe and with what we know about our history and our biology.

It contains fantastic elements that speak to our imagination and creativity as human beings. As I said before, the human mind can create fictional tales.

As we read Genesis we can discern the truth of it's words by comparing it to our observations of reality. It doesn't match and therefore isn't true.

Really good lies contain elements of truth to hook a gullible person into believing.

But, but - the miracle is a truth that doesn't match reality. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-05-2016, 03:25 PM
RE: The human mind - creating fiction
(23-05-2016 12:33 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The human mind is capable of creating fantastic works of fiction. As human beings, we can use our imagination to tell stories about places & people that don't exist. We can also create events about people & places that exist, but use fictional events that never happened using those same people & places as a foundation for our fictional tale.

The question is....

Yes, this and it can apply to other things outside of religion too.

That's why I take anecdotal crap people say (including my own) with a grain of salt.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post