The humility of the faithful

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2012, 11:19 PM
RE: The humility of the faithful
(01-03-2012 11:14 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I will tentatively accept the analogy, since the (let's just call it "college") recruiter is trying score points with his employer and the religious are trying to score points with the creator. But the glaring difference that I see is that college is demonstrably beneficial, while religion is arguably harmful. It binds you to a rigid belief system and forces your morals to be objective in a subjective world. You gain nothing from religion that can't be obtained without it.

And so I think it's the ambiguity of the goodness of the product being sold that makes the salesman that much more pretentious. You might as well be offering to cure a person's illness with magnets, if they would simply accept that they are helpless without the magnets that you can provide.

Fair enough. However, remember that the theist believes their product is genuinely better. They think it holds the answers. But, I can understand how it can come across as pretentious or condescending to the people that believe it's malarkey.

I just wanted to address your grievance from another point of view.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2012, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 11:42 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Believing that it's useful is not an excuse to whether or not someone is being arrogant. If someone went door to door suggesting people go to college they'd be arrogant. If someone noticed groups of teens and walked over to discuss college with them not paying any attention to the discussion they'd be arrogant. Interjecting without warrant, what you feel is important, to people who are not interested or discussing it is arrogant in any situation.

That's called thinking so highly of yourself that you think others feel a need to listen to you speak.

But Buddy also argued the view of not being saved. So the person pushing college would have to be talking about how you don't want to be homeless on welfare with 5 kids. Better get a college degree cause that GED is not gonna get you anywhere. That's how a christian talks. They don't give any merit to the alternative at all.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-03-2012, 11:29 PM
(01-03-2012 11:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Fair enough. However, remember that the theist believes their product is genuinely better. They think it holds the answers. But, I can understand how it can come across as pretentious or condescending to the people that believe it's malarkey.

I just wanted to address your grievance from another point of view.

I literally just said that in a quick post add-on edit. Guess I wasn't quick enough. High fives.

And I agree with what Lilith says. If I were serving a table and they refused to give me their order until I talked about colleges, or left me a card that said, "Do you know where you're going when you d... graduate?" I would also consider that person an arrogant dick.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
02-03-2012, 08:30 AM
I would also like to point out that I don't agree with walking up to random people and trying to get them "saved".

I believe a relationship has to be built first before religious discussion can take place.

02-03-2012, 08:54 AM
(01-03-2012 10:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's not that they are insulting your current status quo and saying that yours is lesser than theirs, but it's just them offering you the opportunity for something that they think is greater.

But they do that, and not only that, but they insist that my status is so bad that I deserve to fry and toil for eternity!

If that isn't insulting, I don't know what is.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
03-03-2012, 02:54 AM
You know what, BC... I take back what I said. This exemplifies why atheists and the like get so frustrated with Christians (the discussion between this bjgodsimage character and myself).

I completely get it now.

03-03-2012, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 10:42 AM by Erxomai.)
(01-03-2012 02:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 01:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 12:43 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  The fundies in my town don't know my true non-belief for this reason. Because ethan my opinion on EVERYTHING, including what baked goods and the bakery competition, is null and void, let alone on the more important things. Sad

You can always send your baked goods to me. I won't judge you for using godless ingredients!

I don't have any, I just judge. Ha ha!

(off topic)
My (very religious, YEC) father-in-law had one question before I married my husband, to see if I'd 'pass' (his words). He asked me, "If I come to your house, will you bake me a pie?" I tried not to laugh and I told him, "If I baked a pie and you come to my house, I will definitely give you a piece!" He was so thrilled with me. Still hasn't had any pie though, I don't bake Confused. I'm an evil trickery woman, I tell ya!

I would have maybe tried, but his wife gets first place in ALL the baking contests and he criticizes my cooking to death! Even tells distant relatives that I'm a horrible cook. I think it's because I'm not a meat and potatoes kind of person, ha ha.

No, it's because you f'n dashed his dreams about the pie! Sad

(03-03-2012 02:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You know what, BC... I take back what I said. This exemplifies why atheists and the like get so frustrated with Christians (the discussion between this bjgodsimage character and myself).

I completely get it now.

It's the old birds of a feather are guilty by association bit. I know you don't think you're anything like BJ...how can that be a Christian name? BJ's are god's image? I may have to rethink the Imago Dei bit...anyway, I digressed: As whacky as you think BJ is? We think you're on the same crazy train. You're just more fun to hang out with.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
03-03-2012, 11:08 AM
An idea for a great video.

Have two young guys well dressed, like Mormons, knock on the door and ask the homeowner if they can share the good news about atheism. How science has thrown off the need for superstitious beliefs and they are free to explore their own identity.

How would that go over?

Arrogantly I presume.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
03-03-2012, 11:18 AM
I stand by my philosophy that if I feel the need to be saved, I bet I can find a church...they seem to be everywhere.

When someone knocks on my door, uninvited, to hand me pamphlets and preach to me that's intrusive. How can you be so bold as to approach the home of a total stranger thinking as you walk up to the door that you know better than they do how to live and what to believe? The height of arrogance.

What do they do when they find a believer? A believer in their particular flavor of faith. Do they chat, do they try to save them more, do they have a secret handshake...what?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
03-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Back in my sad, Fundie days, it was a popular way to raise money by telling the sheep that Jesus wasn't going to return until the "Every Nation" had had a chance to hear the Gospel message. Why did God wait so long to send Jesus back? Because it took until the 20th century before we had the means to mass communicate. "So if you send $100 today, in unmarked bills, you'll be able to keep our radio ministry alive as we broadcast into the deepest jungles of Oingo Boingo and we can let the whole world know about Jeeeesussss!"

Well, is there any nation that doesn't know some cat did a bunch of tricks with fish and bread and pretended to be asleep until his buddies could get him unwrapped from the Shroud of Turin?

Ok, God. Time to wake up! I'm pretty sure everyone knows by now. Let's get the Hell Fires turned up and do this bad boy BBQ KC wants to believe will torment us!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post