A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Baruch's post
17-08-2014, 12:15 PM
RE: The hypocracy of atheism
(17-08-2014 11:51 AM)Leo Wrote:  Hypocracy ? What the hell this word means ?

A state where the hypodermic (syringe) rules.
I know of a few.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-08-2014, 02:25 PM
(17-08-2014 12:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-08-2014 11:51 AM)Leo Wrote:  Hypocracy ? What the hell this word means ?

A state where the hypodermic (syringe) rules.
I know of a few.

Hippo's can also be found in the HIPPODROME - a place for hippo people.
[Image: hippodrome-08.jpg]

...I know, the jokes are getting desperate now.

David Hume

[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
17-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Then there is the Hippo-campus. The center for hypocrisy.
Well if not hypocrisy then at least for some vital functions more important than religious delusions such as controlling body temperature.
No Hippo and we die.

[Image: hippocampus.gif]

David Hume

[+] 3 users Like Baruch's post
17-08-2014, 02:35 PM
(16-08-2014 04:09 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  You accuse christians of believing in things without evidence, but provide no evidence that your mind can be trusted.

You preach dogma just like religions do.

Your "deconversions" look very much like religious conversions.

And yet you continue to preach your dogma without a second thought. Surely someone who hates religion should be able to see this... Facepalm

Well it looks like You left the conversation back at page 4!
I bring evidence to the conversation! Yet its not that the mind needs to be tested for trust! I work on evidence! It is tested it is replicated by others! It is put under test!
If it works and it explains things in the world then it is a theory worth sticking to! Until we find a new way of thinking and as long as it works under testing conditions then it is excepted as new information that makes our world more explainable!
No dogma required!

Now a simple question for you! Can you explain how your mind can be trusted over any other mind?
Remember, you need to display how you are better than any other religious belief on this planet. And that how there god who is atheistic to your god, is wrong and your statement should also be testable verifiable in the world in how it works with all of mankind!!
I hope you come back to this chat as its now looking interesting!!

K:

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
17-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Then there's always this hippocampus I knew about before the real hippocampus....

[Image: 200px-D%26DHippocampus.JPG]

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
17-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Firstly a lack of belief in something contains no dogma. Secondly, the scientific method is the way we know we can trust our minds. If that wasn't so, you wouldn't be able to believe your scripture because your empirical sense of sight would not be trustworthy when reading it now, would it? Finally, not all atheists "hate religion". A lot of atheists are scared of religion, because it has people oppressed and slaughtered all over the world.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 2 users Like SunnyD1's post
17-08-2014, 07:18 PM
This is probably off topic from the OP, but since I've joined a couple atheist boards, I've noted surprisingly how very critical "some" atheist are of others.

This really bothers me because they call out the religious all-the-time for judging and criticizing others. They claim to hate those who are egotistically always right, forever looking down their noses at the unsaved, and telling them how they should live.

ConsiderConsiderConsider

But here's the thing.....

I see atheist mock and laugh at nonreligious people all the time for simply being and/or thinking differently from them. Hell, I've been called out for misspelling or misusing a word before - like I give a fuck what they think! Rolleyes My point is the egotistical criticism is just as ugly coming from an atheist, as it is coming from a religious person.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post
17-08-2014, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 11:36 PM by ClydeLee.)
Re: RE: The hypocracy of atheism
(17-08-2014 01:43 AM)Baruch Wrote:  
(16-08-2014 07:25 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Except as mentioned in this thread by others. There are atheists and skeptics who Do accept they can't be certain and remain skeptical of all knowledge on a grand scale.

There is nothing hypocritical of the position.

I would disagree - most skeptics do not have to "remain skeptical of all knowledge on a grand scale" - Only a few schools of "philosophical skepticism" adhere the the most austere of skeptical positions such as Pyrrhonian skepticism - in which skepticism is the foundational epistemology and all belief is suspended [in the most austere form this may be self contradictory considering belief in skepticism is also suspended for Pyrrhonian skepticism- but they don't claim knowledge of skepticism as a truth claim, only suspension of belief.]

Many skeptics are merely "local skeptics" - such as outlined below, especially those involved within philosophy of science.

Skepticism also does not automatically go with atheism which only deals with lack of belief in God which may be a skeptical position or in some cases non-skeptic atheists.

There can be various degrees of skepticism depending on the evidence available i.e in principle someone can state they are "fallibilists" provisionally accepting some knowledge with potentially everything open to challenge which means they are not "100 % certain" however they can give high probabilities or likelihoods such as in bayesianism eg the Earth rotating around the Sun being extremely difficult to challenge & would require an overhaul of a vast amount of well founded knowledge to overturn - in all likelihood according to these skeptics the Earth does rotate around the Sun - but its phrased as an extremely high probability not absolute certainty .

Informative, but I haven't a clue what you disagree with. I never made any claim of most or many skeptics. I was referring to a post I already made in the thread and another post. That is by chance my position, I suppose it may be rare.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-08-2014, 02:27 AM
[Image: tumblr_m0wlxk75pt1rrwqg6o1_500.jpg]

[Image: hiphop-434.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]