The hypocracy of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 03:59 PM
RE: The hypocracy of atheism
(16-08-2014 04:09 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  but provide no evidence that your mind can be trusted
Atheists are under no obligation to provide evidence as to whether a mind can or cannot be trusted.

This path of reasoning/questioning is with regards to epistemology.

Many atheists (not all) and also many theists (not all) accept the scientific method as a reasonable approach to discovering information and knowledge about the natural aspects of reality.

The scientific method has checks and balances in order to overcome the inconsistency and trustworthiness of the mind. Parables, Allegory, Poetry, Proverbial assertions, anecdotal stories, presuppositions, assumptions, purely theoretical conjecture are all not deemed as useful means to attain reliable knowledge or to effectively communicate knowledge to an audience.

The scientific method is deemed by many as the most reliable method to attain knowledge of natural events.

With regards to attaining reliable knowledge of supernatural events or entities there doesn't seem to be a reliable method. Without a reliable method then how can one gain any knowledge of this realm?
The first question to be asked would be "is there such a thing as supernatural events or entities?" How can we gain knowledge towards that question?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
18-08-2014, 04:00 PM
(18-08-2014 03:47 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 03:39 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Sye ten Brugggencate is the sole reason for why I'm not an atheist.

No he isn't. People only believe that crap because they want to.

Posters here have pointed out all the flaws to it before, namely that 20 steps in his stupid website are all pointless word play and have absolutely no relevance to the final massive leap of faith he takes regarding God.

But you ignore that and just keep repeating yourself. as if we haven't heard it a myriad times from you already.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid583717

You keep making this mistake. I don't want to believe in God.

Truth seeker.
18-08-2014, 04:00 PM
(18-08-2014 03:47 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 03:40 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Bullshit.

I don't need an absolute capacity for logic to not believe in something for which absolutely no reliable, objective evidence exists any more so than I need an absolute capacity for biology to know that pegasus can't exist.

Evidence presupposes absolute logic.

No, it doesn't.

Evidence doesn't presuppose anything, it displays things, but absolute logic is not a thing which has ever been required to examine evidence.

What the hell is 'absolute logic' anyway? Logic is definitionally non-absolute because it is a method of examination of reasoning and thus relies on ones own brain to be reasonably functional in terms of extrapolation of data.

To go one step further off a different track, Sye's deity is unabashedly presupposed; presupposition for it is required for his particular brand of crazy to even resemble the logic it is trying to masquerade as.
If you want to write off logic as something presupposed and therefore not useful or false, you have to write off all presupposed things in order to be consistent, including deities.

Additionally, your stating that 'evidence don't count 'cause I said so' doesn't actually counter the argument I made to begin with, so I'll say it again: I don't need a capacity for 'absolute logic' to not believe in something for which I have no reason to, any more so than I need an absolute capacity for biology to know that crocoduck can't happen.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-08-2014, 04:08 PM
(18-08-2014 04:00 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  You keep making this mistake. I don't want to believe in God.

You keep saying that and I don't believe you. At least that is, I reckon that you're afraid of not believing in God more than you want to not believe in him.
18-08-2014, 04:21 PM
(18-08-2014 04:00 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 03:47 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  No he isn't. People only believe that crap because they want to.

Posters here have pointed out all the flaws to it before, namely that 20 steps in his stupid website are all pointless word play and have absolutely no relevance to the final massive leap of faith he takes regarding God.

But you ignore that and just keep repeating yourself. as if we haven't heard it a myriad times from you already.

Then don't.
18-08-2014, 04:36 PM
(18-08-2014 03:47 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  No he isn't. People only believe that crap because they want to.

The good thing is that you do not have to believe in a god on top of there being no evidence one is even required at all.

So whatever reason you claim to have for believing in one is still relegated to YOU and your own personal desires.

The only core reason to accept or reject any claim is EVIDENCE. Personal testimony does not constitute evidence. Quoting apologist websites does not constitute evidence. Appeal to emotion does not constitute evidence. Appeal to tradition does not constitute evidence. Appeal to popularity does not constitute evidence.

Now all anyone of any god claim has to do to convince the world a god exists is to prove it in an independent lab and get it peer .by independent people, then you can patent the the evidence and win a Nobel prize in science. Bur do not expect me or anyone here to do your homework for you, nor should you expect us to hold our breath waiting.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2014, 04:42 PM

Then you need to learn to think. You're doing it wrong. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-08-2014, 05:21 PM
(18-08-2014 03:39 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Sye ten Brugggencate is the sole reason for why I'm not an atheist.

Is that absolutely true? How would you know?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
18-08-2014, 05:58 PM
(16-08-2014 04:09 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  You accuse christians of believing in things without evidence, but provide no evidence that your mind can be trusted.

You preach dogma just like religions do.

Your "deconversions" look very much like religious conversions.

And yet you continue to preach your dogma without a second thought. Surely someone who hates religion should be able to see this... Facepalm

You do believe without evidence. A 2000 year old book written by savages and edited by charlatans does not quite reach the level of evidence.

I have never believed. How do you account for those of us who had nothing to de-convert from?

Some atheists may come off dogmatic but not believing in something isn't dogma.

Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
18-08-2014, 08:40 PM
(16-08-2014 04:28 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Indeed. Your claim that everything requires demonstration is an undemonstrated dogma.

I'm kinda pissed at myself for missing this little mental shart, so I'll just correct that. I never said EVERYTHING requires a demonstration so that's a strawman that you erected to keep your good ship the HMS Stupid afloat.

Everything would need to be demonstrated if every claim was equal, but they are not. I don't require a demonstration to know that I should exit a plane when it's on the ground and not mid fucking flight, but yes I do need a demonstration when a person claims a talking snake tricked a woman made out of rib into eating a magic fruit and that the creator of all the universe and matter and time and energy and strawberry poptarts couldn't find the only two fucking humans in a fucking garden he fucking made.

They are not equal fucking claims you dick holster.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post