The hypocracy of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 11:26 AM
RE: The hypocracy of atheism
To me Atheism is taking a solid look at Theology, be it Monotheism, Polytheism or a range of Paganisms, and deciding they are not relevant to my situation. It is a case of not finding personal use from them, so I move onto things that I do find strengthen my existential position.

I think understanding the need to believe is a doorway, asking what we should believe is not.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 11:28 AM
(19-08-2014 11:26 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 11:17 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence? How extraordinary? You'd better have some extraordinary evidence of this!

The claim "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" is not in itself extraordinary and does not require extraordinary evidence.

It is not an claim of what constitutes reality. It is a useful heuristic used as part of the scientific method, much like Occam's razor.

See ordinary modern day society as evidence for effectiveness of the scientific method.

Are you finished trying (and failing) to show situations where circular reasoning is acceptable?

I'm not saying circular reasoning is acceptable, I'm saying it's inevitable.

Truth seeker.
19-08-2014, 11:29 AM
(19-08-2014 11:26 AM)Ray Butler Wrote:  To me Atheism is taking a solid look at Theology, be it Monotheism, Polytheism or a range of Paganisms, and deciding they are not relevant to my situation. It is a case of not finding personal use from them, so I move onto things that I do find strengthen my existential position.

I think understanding the need to believe is a doorway, asking what we should believe is not.

So you don't care what's true, as long as it helps you? Consider

Truth seeker.
19-08-2014, 11:30 AM
(19-08-2014 11:21 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  How could you possibly think I want to believe in God? Why would I want to be doomed to forever be a slave?

How could anyone possibly be taken in by Sye Ten Brugggencate's word play unless they wanted to use it as justification to carry on believing what they want to believe?

Or are you seriously considering following Islam, Judaism, Atenism, Babism, the Bahá'í Faith, Cao Dai (Caodaiism), Cheondoism (Cheondogyo), Deism, Eckankar, Rastafarianism, Ravidassia religion, Seicho no Ie, Shaivism, Sikhism, Tenrikyo (Tenriism), Vaishnavism, or Zoroastrianism?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
19-08-2014, 11:31 AM
(19-08-2014 11:28 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  I'm not saying circular reasoning is acceptable, I'm saying it's inevitable.

For you maybe. Not for the rest of us.
19-08-2014, 11:33 AM
(19-08-2014 11:30 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 11:21 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  How could you possibly think I want to believe in God? Why would I want to be doomed to forever be a slave?

How could anyone possibly be taken in by Sye Ten Brugggencate's word play unless they wanted to use it as justification to carry on believing what they want to believe?

Probably because I'm a depressive realist.

Truth seeker.
19-08-2014, 11:34 AM
(19-08-2014 11:29 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 11:26 AM)Ray Butler Wrote:  To me Atheism is taking a solid look at Theology, be it Monotheism, Polytheism or a range of Paganisms, and deciding they are not relevant to my situation. It is a case of not finding personal use from them, so I move onto things that I do find strengthen my existential position.

So you don't care what's true, as long as it helps you? Consider

Yes; human perspective is inherently based on that position, so yes; I don't care what is true as long as it helps me, and in that way I am far more receptive to truth, ironically Angel
19-08-2014, 11:34 AM
(19-08-2014 11:31 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 11:28 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  I'm not saying circular reasoning is acceptable, I'm saying it's inevitable.

For you maybe. Not for the rest of us.

Where does your logic come from then, if you can't use any logic to figure that out? Consider

Truth seeker.
19-08-2014, 11:35 AM
(19-08-2014 11:34 AM)Ray Butler Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 11:29 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  So you don't care what's true, as long as it helps you? Consider

Yes; human perspective is inherently based on that position, so yes; I don't care what is true as long as it helps me, and in that way I am far more receptive to truth, ironically Angel

If you don't care what's real, get out of this thread. Facepalm

Truth seeker.
19-08-2014, 11:36 AM
(19-08-2014 11:33 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 11:30 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  How could anyone possibly be taken in by Sye Ten Brugggencate's word play unless they wanted to use it as justification to carry on believing what they want to believe?

Probably because I'm a depressive realist.

No, just a tedious presuppositionalist.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post