The hypocracy of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2014, 05:34 PM
RE: The hypocracy of atheism
(20-08-2014 05:32 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 05:14 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  That's because you believe in something you don't even know how to define and you have not yet demonstrated any ability to think in anything other than absolutes.

If I don't believe only in absolutes, I can't know anything.

Ermmmm........
Yeah
I don't know what to do with that.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2014, 05:35 PM
(20-08-2014 05:34 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 05:32 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  If I don't believe only in absolutes, I can't know anything.

Ermmmm........
Yeah

Either something is true, or it isn't. If you deny this, your position is absurd.

Truth seeker.
20-08-2014, 05:40 PM
(20-08-2014 05:35 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 05:34 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Ermmmm........
Yeah

Either something is true, or it isn't. If you deny this, your position is absurd.

That is ridiculously reductionist. What about things in variance? Is the traffic light green? Sometimes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-08-2014, 05:46 PM
(20-08-2014 05:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 05:35 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Either something is true, or it isn't. If you deny this, your position is absurd.

That is ridiculously reductionist. What about things in variance? Is the traffic light green? Sometimes.

What do traffic lights have to do with varience? They are only one color at a time.

Truth seeker.
20-08-2014, 05:51 PM
(20-08-2014 05:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 05:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That is ridiculously reductionist. What about things in variance? Is the traffic light green? Sometimes.

What do traffic lights have to do with varience? They are only one color at a time.
So tell us the truth.
Is it green or is it red?
20-08-2014, 05:56 PM
(20-08-2014 05:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 05:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That is ridiculously reductionist. What about things in variance? Is the traffic light green? Sometimes.

Is the light green yes or no? There can only be absolutes according to you.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-08-2014, 06:01 PM
(20-08-2014 05:05 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 05:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  What type of logic is perfect or absolute logic?

Predicate? Propositional? Infinitary? Fuzzy? Many-sorted? etc

Absolute logic is logic that is ... absolute. I don't know how else to put this...

Chas has it right, deductive logic and mathematics are both formal systems. They are both used to solve problems. The rules don't change because if they did, they would lose all of their explanatory powers.

I still don't know what you mean by "absolute". Meaning the same all the time? Many things would be absolute by that definition . I don't see the leap from logic is a formal system used to evaluate truth claims, to god is the creator of the universe and the bible is true.
20-08-2014, 06:04 PM
(20-08-2014 05:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  What do traffic lights have to do with varience? They are only one color at a time.
When observing emission of light wavelengths normally there is a range rather than only one precise frequency.
Has a spectrometer been used to verify this assertion that only one colour at a time is present in the emission from a traffic light?

Also what frame of reference is being used?
If we are traveling very fast away from the traffic light then it will be red shifted so for us it may appear as a different colour than what an observer stationary to the traffic light would see.

So, who is it that sees the truth? The person stationary to the traffic light or the person moving away from it?
20-08-2014, 06:11 PM
The topic here and this whole discussion around it, reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my religious friends who said that ''even though you (meaning me) disbelieve in a god, that in and of itself is a belief. You have your own sets of beliefs, but they are just not religious in nature.'' Paraphrasing.

That is the closest I could see to what diddo might be trying to get at, without reading through 20+ pages.

My friend doesn't have anything against atheists, but she merely pointed out that it's a belief, to not believe. Maybe. From a philosophical view point.

Be true to yourself. Heart
20-08-2014, 06:12 PM
(20-08-2014 06:04 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 05:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  What do traffic lights have to do with varience? They are only one color at a time.
When observing emission of light wavelengths normally there is a range rather than only one precise frequency.
Has a spectrometer been used to verify this assertion that only one colour at a time is present in the emission from a traffic light?

Also what frame of reference is being used?
If we are traveling very fast away from the traffic light then it will be red shifted so for us it may appear as a different colour than what an observer stationary to the traffic light would see.

So, who is it that sees the truth? The person stationary to the traffic light or the person moving away from it?

If your mind is fallible, your position is absurd.

Truth seeker.