The hypocrisy of society

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2015, 12:43 PM
The hypocrisy of society
Two recent events have me fuming at the hypocrisy of society. First, obviously, is the attack in Paris. The other is the Canadian woman who kept her dead husband's corpse locked in a room in their house as she prayed for his resurrection.

How are these two linked? Religion, of course. And here's where the hypocrisy comes in: The woman pleaded guilty for failing to report her husband’s death, but the assistant crown attorney felt the widow meant no harm because it was her faith that caused her misdeed. So they withdrew the charges.

Hmmm, wasn't it the faith of those Muslim morons that led them to riddle the magazine headquarters with bullets, rendering a dozen innocent people dead? Why hunt them down? They are only following what their holy book of errors tells them.

It's another twist on cherry-picking, but instead of it being Christians or Muslims picking what they want to follow in their tomes, it's government institutions deciding which faith-based offenses are severe enough to pursue charges and justice.

While I may be blowing this little old lady's case out of proportion, it's the idea that faith gets yet another free pass that has me so pissed off right now. She should be charged to the fullest extent of the law, and maybe then she will snap out of her indoctrination enough to find reality.

What's the answer? Separation of church and state in all walks of life, not just schools and government buildings. If someone breaks the law they should be punished, period.

/rant

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
09-01-2015, 12:52 PM
RE: The hypocrisy of society
http://jonathanturley.org/2014/12/02/can...urrection/ Wrote:Her husband appears to have gone into a coma and then she said she noticed stomach bloating and signs of rigor mortis on his forehead. Her response? She covered him with two blankets, sealed the door and vents with duct tape, and padlocked the bedroom. The whole family then prayed daily and awaited for his resurrection.
umm, wow... That's really messed up.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
09-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Indeed, but then again, so is society.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
09-01-2015, 01:03 PM
(09-01-2015 12:43 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Two recent events have me fuming at the hypocrisy of society. First, obviously, is the attack in Paris. The other is the Canadian woman who kept her dead husband's corpse locked in a room in their house as she prayed for his resurrection.

How are these two linked? Religion, of course. And here's where the hypocrisy comes in: The woman pleaded guilty for failing to report her husband’s death, but the assistant crown attorney felt the widow meant no harm because it was her faith that caused her misdeed. So they withdrew the charges.

Hmmm, wasn't it the faith of those Muslim morons that led them to riddle the magazine headquarters with bullets, rendering a dozen innocent people dead? Why hunt them down? They are only following what their holy book of errors tells them.
Think about it from the perspective of danger to society.
The woman kept the dead body of her father in a room of her house.
Does this make you fear for your life? Do you think this woman is a threat?
09-01-2015, 01:05 PM
I get your point but one is really a victimless crime (assuming her husband died of natural causes) the other has many victims. I am actually glad that our system of justice has the ability to interject some human judgment instead of rigid rules.

The prosecutor actually stated that her faith had warped her thinking. That's a pretty damning statement on her faith.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
09-01-2015, 01:17 PM
I agree with victimless vs. actual victims, but there are plenty of other cases where religion makes it ok, such as genital mutilation without consent, etc. where to we draw the line now?

----
09-01-2015, 01:44 PM
(09-01-2015 12:43 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  While I may be blowing this little old lady's case out of proportion, it's the idea that faith gets yet another free pass that has me so pissed off right now. She should be charged to the fullest extent of the law, and maybe then she will snap out of her indoctrination enough to find reality.

I caught the Kaling Wald story on CBC a while back. Tragic and gruesome. My take was that the order to get counseling is probably going to do her more good than any fine or jail time would.

Her husband would possibly alive today had he gotten proper medical attention for what appears to have been a relatively trivial and common problem. He sounds to have been every bit a crazed though and it was his choice.

What struck me as most disturbing about this story was actually the bystander effect. The neighbors knew something was wrong. Hubbie abruptly vanishes from public life, flies and birds flocking around an upstairs window, wife and kids repainting his van by flashlight (real subtle). Yet nobody did anything.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
09-01-2015, 01:47 PM
They say picture's worth a thousand words. Her husband's prized van:

[Image: religious-symbols-on-van.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
09-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Hopefully the woman doesn't think a human sacrifice will bring her husband back. She's clearly insane.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-01-2015, 06:48 PM
(09-01-2015 12:43 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  While I may be blowing this little old lady's case out of proportion, it's the idea that faith gets yet another free pass that has me so pissed off right now. She should be charged to the fullest extent of the law, and maybe then she will snap out of her indoctrination enough to find reality.
Oh, I don't know. In Paris, people died and those deaths were deliberate. In this case the woman apparently didn't cause her husband's death and was just in denial about it. No net harm was done (to others), no foul play was involved. These do not seem like equivalent situations to me at all, particularly considering that law enforcement has limited resources. Prosecuting some mentally frail elderly woman who is delusional about her husband's death strikes me as unlikely to produce any actual benefit for society, particularly compared to requiring her to obtain mental health treatment. On the other hand, apprehending and killing or incarcerating violent radicalized killers seems like a good use of resources, and in fact one that should be given priority.

Like you, I'm annoyed at the undeserved free pass that faith has gotten, historically, but that free pass is less and less in evidence in the last couple of generations. The old taboos and charges of blasphemy, perversion, etc., for having the temerity to question religious ideation of any kind, IS eroding. If anything the raw panic of Islamic fundamentalism reflects an awareness of what a huge threat vector education and reason ARE for them. It is not fundamentalism flexing newfound muscle; it is their death throes. It's just that their death throes could ebb and flow for a couple of centuries and cause a lot of human suffering in the meantime. But they ARE doomed, ultimately.

Maybe the fact that I'm old allows me to take a larger view and to be more patient, I don't know. I see the demise of religion as a mainstream phenomenon as inevitable; I just don't see it happening tomorrow, next week, or next year. It might take up to another 1,000 years; it certainly won't take less than another 100 years. If that is too slow for you, consider that society and culture are complex systems and can only change so fast; if you want it to change overnight, be careful what you ask for.

I think it's healthier to look on the plus side. Enjoy the progress that reason and rationality HAVE made -- and the geometrically accelerating progress of education and scientific knowledge over the past few generations. The glass is half full, not half empty. And you're hearing this from someone who is, on balance, a pessimist.
[+] 6 users Like mordant's post