The hypocrisy of society

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2015, 11:39 PM
RE: The hypocrisy of society
While I don't think society is incapable of making judgement calls, I fail to see how faith should be the reason for any breaking of laws, regardless of severity or lack of it. As I mentioned, it's just cherry-picking what we feel is acceptable and what isn't. Death? Not acceptable. Genital mutilation of children? Acceptable. Rotting corpses in the attic? Acceptable. Smoking pot in the Church of Cognizance? Who knows? How is this any different than, say, Christians choosing to follow love thy neighbor from their bible but ignoring the stoning of wisecracking children?

Why have a law if we aren't going to uphold it?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2015, 11:50 PM
(09-01-2015 01:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Do you think this woman is a threat?

nope, but I question her sanity and her hygiene for keeping a corpse in the attic
Find all posts by this user
10-01-2015, 12:09 AM
(09-01-2015 11:50 PM)Ace Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 01:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Do you think this woman is a threat?

nope, but I question her sanity and her hygiene for keeping a corpse in the attic
So if she is no threat then do you think she needs to be hunted down and either shot or locked up?
10-01-2015, 01:34 AM
(10-01-2015 12:09 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 11:50 PM)Ace Wrote:  nope, but I question her sanity and her hygiene for keeping a corpse in the attic
So if she is no threat then do you think she needs to be hunted down and either shot or locked up?

she needs rehabilitation, therapy and consultation
10-01-2015, 02:58 AM
[Image: cherry_picking_close.jpg]
10-01-2015, 03:09 AM
(10-01-2015 02:58 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  [Image: cherry_picking_close.jpg]

[Image: 1394663132979.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
10-01-2015, 04:02 AM
(10-01-2015 03:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(10-01-2015 02:58 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  [Image: cherry_picking_close.jpg]

[Image: 1394663132979.jpg]

still minimal yet ? Tongue

[Image: cherry%20picking1.jpg]
[Image: cherry-picking-in-medicine.jpg]
[Image: cherry-picking.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
10-01-2015, 08:54 AM
(09-01-2015 11:39 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  While I don't think society is incapable of making judgement calls, I fail to see how faith should be the reason for any breaking of laws, regardless of severity or lack of it. ...
Why have a law if we aren't going to uphold it?
Laws are, by nature, blunt instruments. You can't draft a law that can anticipate every extenuating circumstance or edge case. Ideally, laws are applied with some discretion and compassion.

In the case of this woman I think the right call was made, but not because of her religious ideations. She is simply delusional. Her husband is dead, her mortgage is foreclosed, and she is mentally ill, and that seems punishment enough.

What bothers me more than that she's not being punished in some way (for what purpose? to what end?) is that child services has decided somehow that it's none of their concern if five dependent children are in the care of a woman who keeps a corpse upstairs; they actually closed the case. Nothing to see here, move along.

The children's remaining with their mother should be contingent upon her getting proper mental health care and being properly monitored. My guess is that if this woman did not elucidate a religious reason for her actions she would be getting that care. I mean, if she said that little green men told her to do it, there'd be no problem. But because her invisible friend promised to raise her husband from the dead, that should for some reason be backed away from and kept out of.