The idea of a "Citizen's National Vote Day"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2012, 11:41 PM
The idea of a "Citizen's National Vote Day"
There are lots of things in this country that I feel I have no control over. Speed limits, drug laws, seat belt regulations, minimum wage amounts, etc. And it's not just that I have no control over them, it's that I never get the chance to vote or express my opinions on them. People say that "that's why you vote for the candidate who shares the majority of your beliefs." But there are millions of people in this country and I doubt very many of them have the exact same beliefs as their government representative.

So instead of voting for a guy who kinda, sorta shares my beliefs on some of the issues, why not have a National Vote Day, where all businesses shut down and everyone gets a chance to vote on the specific issues, either in a chosen meeting place or maybe through surveys sent through the mail. Every issue is voted on, eliminating the need for an elected official. Then each town assembles a paid team to tally up the votes and make note of any specific comments given, to be reported and acted on accordingly.

If the populace of one state is 60% pro-weed legalization, then weed becomes legal in that state. It doesn't just stay illegal because Senator John Smith doesn't want to risk his election next year by endorsing a potentially offensive issue. And if the majority of a city want no seat belts and a higher speed limit, then their desires are granted, rather than a strict 25 zone because some old lady kept calling the police station about those damn kids zooming by, blaring their rock n roll music.

Am I stupid in this thinking? Can we not take one goddamn day out of the year and voice our individual opinions?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
17-03-2012, 11:53 PM
RE: The idea of a "Citizen's National Vote Day"
(17-03-2012 11:41 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Am I stupid in this thinking?

Nah, just a hippie Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
19-03-2012, 12:13 PM
I have to say I'm horrified by the idea. I think the voter should be kept out of politics as much as possible.

I know you are rational guy with useful, well formulated opinions. Problem is that puts you in the minority, most people have no clue what's good for them and no clue what they want.

I think I want the same end product as you but by the completely opposite means. Take your analogy with the weed. My solution would be to make the guy far less accountable to the voters, that way he could consider the idea without having to worry about public reaction.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
19-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Just because something is popular doesn't make it right or good. Speed limit laws are set based on factors that the majortiy of the public never concerns themselves with. Like exponential rate of fatatlity at increasing speeds. This is why we have agencies like the Dept of Transportation. Even though most government agencies are painfully inefficient and overgrown they are still fairly necessary at some level.

BTW, what are your thoughts on the minimum wage?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
20-03-2012, 01:54 AM
(19-03-2012 01:00 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Just because something is popular doesn't make it right or good. Speed limit laws are set based on factors that the majortiy of the public never concerns themselves with. Like exponential rate of fatatlity at increasing speeds.
[quote]

I guess I just got too used to doing 120 mph on the AutoBahn when I lived in Germany. And I didn't see dead bodies littering the roadside.

[quote]

I think it needs to exist in a "screw you over for my own gain" economic type such as capitalism. And I think it could be raised a little higher. In my state, minimum wage is a little under 8 bucks. Working a 40 hour a week job nets you 300. Minus taxes, you've got 240 or so. That's less than 1000 a month. And rent where I live (Columbus) averages about 500 dollars. Add in utilities, phone, car, cable/internet (not necessary, but is it too much to ask that you have basic entertainment?), etc and you're paying 650ish. Consider that gas is nearing 4 dollars a gallon, and you're left with barely 200 dollars a month to feed yourself and live on. And LOTS of menial labor jobs that people are forced to settle with pay just over minimum wage.

It seems like everything in America is inflating except wages.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
20-03-2012, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2012 07:57 AM by germanyt.)

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
20-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Well this is gonna turn into a minimum wage thread. Sorry BC.

Firstly I used to be in retail, manager style. I used to get reports on cost versus expense all the time. I was inundated with reports about inflated costs, and since the company I worked for was surprisingly independently owned (wow I know right?) we got literally every report and inside development.
I got to go to the main building in Winterpeg and walk the warehouses where items are received and sorted. I sat in on numerous pricing meetings and sales meetings. I watched them decide sales prices and flyer layouts.
I got to read reports on product development and cost analysis. Good times.
I knew the owner on a personal level. Nice guy.

The way retail actually works is on mark up. What you pay for something is no where near the cost of it.

Cost is not just for production, but shipping, storage, and sales (i.e. stores expense and sales team expense, advertising expense) Depending on the cost of all of that, profit is determined.
If the item is already very expensive then the profit is high but the mark up is actually lower than if the item were cheaper. A ten thousand dollar item probably cost around 6 or 7 thousand if not slightly more to get to you. (there are exceptions to this rule of course, where the item is actually quite cheap to produce but costs a butt load anyways... macbook.) where as a ten dollar item more than likely costs under a dollar to produce a single unit.

In my country, profit sharing is rare. The company I worked for had a nice profit sharing system. But previous jobs had not. Even when promised oddly enough...
We also had a pretty high starting wage and raises were common place. I got four in one year once.

That is all very uncommon for where I live, especially for retail. Especially for non commission retail.

Minimum wage (keep in mind wages and cost work differently here than in the states) for BC was 8.20 an hour. BC also has the highest cost of living of all of the provinces. The most minimum wage jobs and the lowest minimum wage. Go figure. Recently the government finally consented to raising BC's min. wage to I think 10.25. But they decided to do it over a period of a year so businesses didn't collapse somehow....

Problem being is our cost of living has skyrocketed in the last 2 years and is climbing despite a lack of industry and a growing unemployment problem.
A crappy loaf of bread went from being roughly 2.25 a loaf last year, to being almost 5 bucks right now. Minimum wage went up 25 cents from then to now.

Average rent for a run down slum apartment in my small menno town of abbotsford is 750 a month non inclusive. I'm talking slum here. Picture it. I'm a ghetto hood man. The real deal. Vancouver has a general rent of around 1200 a month for even more run down. Surrounded by junkies and crazy people.

Cost of living continues to increase while quality of living continuously declines.

What am I trying to say is... I dunno I was bored so I rambled a bunch... sorry.

We should all become self sufficient islands. Yes I am suggesting using explosives to separate the US, from Canada. Push you away with sticks.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2012, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2012 03:44 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
20-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Mystic you're a douche.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2012, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2012 06:30 PM by Azaraith.)
(19-03-2012 01:00 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Just because something is popular doesn't make it right or good. Speed limit laws are set based on factors that the majortiy of the public never concerns themselves with. Like exponential rate of fatatlity at increasing speeds. This is why we have agencies like the Dept of Transportation. Even though most government agencies are painfully inefficient and overgrown they are still fairly necessary at some level.

Yes, and they base everything on the lowest common denominator (minimum vehicle capabilities, minimum driver capabilities, etc). Which drives some of us crazy, since our cars are far more capable and some of us are more skilled. But of course there's a good number of people that just think that's true for them Tongue Which is why I favor a much more strict driver's license application and vehicle inspections (giant lift kits & other modifications that reduce handling, stopping ability or visibility would be banned... Especially lift kits. Did I mention I hate lift kits? [note: motorcyclist here, being literally below the window level of a truck and thus actually 100% invisible is terrifying]).

As for a national vote day, hell will freeze over before that happens (hehe).

Better without God, and happier too.