The imminent threat of a new plague!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Exclamation The imminent threat of a new plague!
The world population as of now is 7,162,979,673.

Jeez, that's a lot of flesh and bone.

What me and my father have been discussing for a long time is the imminent threat of a disease such as the black death that eventually will rise and wipe out many of the population, it's just how nature deals with overpopulation.

The black death killed about 1/3 of the world's population of humans. Before the plague human population was at about 500,000,000, after the plague the population was at around 220,000,000.

Now, think about the first number I gave you in this post, imagine if 1/3 of that were swept away, that's a huge amount of death and sorrow, and you could be apart of it.

The real questions are. Where will it start and what will it be?

Me and my father think it will originate in either China or India (highly populated and dense areas).

What will it be? Heck, I would guess that it will be similar to the bubonic plague (black death) but stronger.

Or maybe it will be ZOMBIES!!! Hobo

Am I the only one that wishes it will be zombies? Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2013, 04:51 PM
RE: The imminent threat of a new plague!
It will start with an animal transmitted disease, a virus that is resistant to antibiotics and will stem from the animals currently raised in tiny quarters, close proximity to each other and fed antibiotics par for the course.

That's what I think. And I agree, something will happen to reduce over population. Either that or we win and the earth loses and then we lose.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-07-2013, 04:52 PM
I will play along....

although without doing any research I can't figure out if it will be

1. bird flu of some sort
2. biological agent purposely released-- ebola or pox or something
3. environmental screw up....crazy stuff released into ocean or air in massive quantity.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
05-07-2013, 04:59 PM
can I haz zombiez?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
05-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Most likely a mutation of the influenza virus, similar to that happened in the early 1900s when the flu killed about 20 million people globally.

Ebola and Marburg have always been a frightening threat - see The Hot Zone by Richard Preston - but fortunately 'burns' through its hosts too quickly to create a dangerous chain reaction of infections.

Another scary possibility would be a mutated form of HIV, which could be spread by airborne infection.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
05-07-2013, 05:29 PM
I think food and water shortages will kill most of us off.
[+] 2 users Like slydog's post
05-07-2013, 05:36 PM
(05-07-2013 05:20 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Most likely a mutation of the influenza virus, similar to that happened in the early 1900s when the flu killed about 20 million people globally.

Ebola and Marburg have always been a frightening threat - see The Hot Zone by Richard Preston - but fortunately 'burns' through its hosts too quickly to create a dangerous chain reaction of infections.

Another scary possibility would be a mutated form of HIV, which could be spread by airborne infection.

That book is scary to read, and so interesting, but the thing with viruses like Ebola is that they are not easily transmitted from one person to the next unless there is direct contact with the person infected.
05-07-2013, 05:41 PM
A zombie plague would unquestionably be the most preferred. Not simply to indulge the imaginations of every fan of Romero films, The Walking Dead , or every other zombie meme, but it would just be easier to defend against.
Viruses are microscopic and undetectable outside of a lab. It wouldn't matter if it were spread through bodily fluids, physical contact, or if it's airborne, you never know if you're infected or about to be infected unless symptoms manifest. It's pretty challenging to stop your killer if you don't even know that it's there.
Sure zombies can chase you or breach a barricade, but at least you can see them.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
05-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I think massive world war will take us before disease.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
05-07-2013, 05:43 PM
(05-07-2013 05:36 PM)slydog Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 05:20 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Most likely a mutation of the influenza virus, similar to that happened in the early 1900s when the flu killed about 20 million people globally.

That book is scary to read, and so interesting, but the thing with viruses like Ebola is that they are not easily transmitted from one person to the next unless there is direct contact with the person infected.

that was a scary book and I think it turned me into a germaphobe, lol.

there's also the flesh eating bacteria?/virus? it spreads quickly, and I've heard of organisms that enter thru the nose (usually from people who swim in murky, brackish, stagnant types of water)....I imagine something like that hitting during floods and going viral.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller