The imminent threat of a new plague!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
RE: The imminent threat of a new plague!
Famine.
Diseases caused by localised toxicity.
Global warming.
Loss of species and biomass resulting in changes to the hydrological, carbon, nitrogen cycle, or other services provided by the environment that are impossible for the human species to replace economically.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
05-07-2013, 07:00 PM
(05-07-2013 05:43 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 05:36 PM)slydog Wrote:  That book is scary to read, and so interesting, but the thing with viruses like Ebola is that they are not easily transmitted from one person to the next unless there is direct contact with the person infected.

that was a scary book and I think it turned me into a germaphobe, lol.

there's also the flesh eating bacteria?/virus? it spreads quickly, and I've heard of organisms that enter thru the nose (usually from people who swim in murky, brackish, stagnant types of water)....I imagine something like that hitting during floods and going viral.

The thought of stagnant, scummy water is warranted this video:

[+] 1 user Likes slydog's post
06-07-2013, 07:58 PM
My thoughts
1.new bacteria that came from an animal
2.antibiotic resistant bacteria that came from the lab
3.food shortage
4.nuclear war
5.biological weapons
6.major water polution

i prefer zombies.
Easier to defend against,and kinda cool

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
06-07-2013, 08:01 PM
(05-07-2013 04:18 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  The world population as of now is 7,162,979,673.

Jeez, that's a lot of flesh and bone.

What me and my father have been discussing for a long time is the imminent threat of a disease such as the black death that eventually will rise and wipe out many of the population, it's just how nature deals with overpopulation.

The black death killed about 1/3 of the world's population of humans. Before the plague human population was at about 500,000,000, after the plague the population was at around 220,000,000.

Now, think about the first number I gave you in this post, imagine if 1/3 of that were swept away, that's a huge amount of death and sorrow, and you could be apart of it.

Good.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
06-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Maybe CCD ?
Bees pollinate everything. No bees > no food.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-07-2013, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 09:44 PM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(05-07-2013 05:36 PM)slydog Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 05:20 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Most likely a mutation of the influenza virus, similar to that happened in the early 1900s when the flu killed about 20 million people globally.

Ebola and Marburg have always been a frightening threat - see The Hot Zone by Richard Preston - but fortunately 'burns' through its hosts too quickly to create a dangerous chain reaction of infections.

Another scary possibility would be a mutated form of HIV, which could be spread by airborne infection.

That book is scary to read, and so interesting, but the thing with viruses like Ebola is that they are not easily transmitted from one person to the next unless there is direct contact with the person infected.

All it takes is a mutation - happens very quickly with virus strains - and the virus can then be spread by an airborne infection. Any kind of water droplets - someone sneezing, spitting,etc - that's inhaled, and you're doomed.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
06-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Pretty much what everyone else has said. It's not a matter of if, but when. The new virus in the Middle East has a lot of people worried currently, but who knows which virus or event will be a major event that causes a mass depopulation, all we do know that history shows us that these events have happened before and it's logical to assume they will again.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
[+] 1 user Likes AtheistTeacher's post
07-07-2013, 08:53 PM
(06-07-2013 10:49 PM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  Pretty much what everyone else has said. It's not a matter of if, but when. The new virus in the Middle East has a lot of people worried currently, but who knows which virus or event will be a major event that causes a mass depopulation, all we do know that history shows us that these events have happened before and it's logical to assume they will again.

With that in mind, I'm trying to think of ways of prevention (without turning into one of those people on those Doomsday shows).

-up to date vaccinations
-live in a rural area vs densely populated urban area

what else?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
08-07-2013, 09:45 AM
(07-07-2013 08:53 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(06-07-2013 10:49 PM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  Pretty much what everyone else has said. It's not a matter of if, but when. The new virus in the Middle East has a lot of people worried currently, but who knows which virus or event will be a major event that causes a mass depopulation, all we do know that history shows us that these events have happened before and it's logical to assume they will again.

With that in mind, I'm trying to think of ways of prevention (without turning into one of those people on those Doomsday shows).

-up to date vaccinations
-live in a rural area vs densely populated urban area

what else?

If a plague like disease does come out, quarantine all possible places of origin.
08-07-2013, 06:00 PM
(06-07-2013 09:37 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 05:36 PM)slydog Wrote:  That book is scary to read, and so interesting, but the thing with viruses like Ebola is that they are not easily transmitted from one person to the next unless there is direct contact with the person infected.

All it takes is a mutation - happens very quickly with virus strains - and the virus can then be spread by an airborne infection. Any kind of water droplets - someone sneezing, spitting,etc - that's inhaled, and you're doomed.

True, and then the world acts like everyone did on Contagion, complete anarchy and chaos.