The imminent threat of a new plague!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2013, 10:36 AM
RE: The imminent threat of a new plague!
And of course that is very possible. We can also start acting like too many rats in a cage and kill each other.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2013, 11:06 AM
I heard something on TV a while back that claimed if we keep using fossil fuels the way that we currently are, they will run out by 2060.

Now, just think what will happen when the fossil fuels run out.

Hopefully by 2060 we will have found an alternative energy, because if we don't, shit will go down.
11-07-2013, 06:43 PM
(09-07-2013 10:34 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 10:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  Like I said, anything that will do the job that nature tends to like to do on all levels - wipe out what has become too numerous - has to blind side us.

So you think that we are so advanced that nothing of that sort can harm us? I don't think so. We don't know it all, and we don't have everything under control.

I'm not saying we are too advanced for anything to harm us, but I think that next major population catastrophe is not going to be some blind-side by a new virus. It will be the same old stuff and we will be the only thing in the way of stopping it.

Exactly, and after watching a Mythbusters episode (maybe two) where they work on contamination, particularly with a runny nose and one with sneezing distance, I am becoming more of a germaphobe every day.
11-07-2013, 08:36 PM
(05-07-2013 04:18 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  What me and my father have been discussing for a long time is the imminent threat of a disease such as the black death that eventually will rise and wipe out many of the population, it's just how nature deals with overpopulation.

Ummmm, NO.

Dense population contributes to susceptibility to an epidemic or pandemic. "Nature" doesn't deal with anything.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2013, 10:59 PM
India is a good guess . It will be more isolated though, as modern medicine is sufficient to hold it back to a certain degree. I think west and southern Asia have the ideal circumstances for this to happen.

" My friends. You bow to no one. " - Aragorn

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. " — Samuel Clemens

Simple....buy low, sell high.

Life in Rivendell is nice .
12-07-2013, 09:38 AM
(11-07-2013 08:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 04:18 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  What me and my father have been discussing for a long time is the imminent threat of a disease such as the black death that eventually will rise and wipe out many of the population, it's just how nature deals with overpopulation.

Ummmm, NO.

Dense population contributes to susceptibility to an epidemic or pandemic. "Nature" doesn't deal with anything.

I didn't mean it in a way that gives nature a mind/thought process or anything.

I was just saying that it is a known fact that once a population is too large, disease comes about easier and is able to wipe out much more of the dense population, including you and I.
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
12-07-2013, 10:14 AM
(11-07-2013 06:43 PM)slydog Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 10:34 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm not saying we are too advanced for anything to harm us, but I think that next major population catastrophe is not going to be some blind-side by a new virus. It will be the same old stuff and we will be the only thing in the way of stopping it.

Exactly, and after watching a Mythbusters episode (maybe two) where they work on contamination, particularly with a runny nose and one with sneezing distance, I am becoming more of a germaphobe every day.

Well, I avoid germs to a point, but some are needed to keep building a good immune system. In the end, your immune system has to be able to deal with stuff.

But, the last two years I have wiped the handles of supermarket shopping carts before touching them, avoided touching myself there, and wipe my hands after unloading groceries and putting cart away. While I had the flu every freaking year for like 20 years, sometimes multiple times, I haven't had it since I started doing that. Coincidence? Maybe. But I am erring in favor of wiping now.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-07-2013, 08:35 PM
If its a mutated version of something we know, it will have to kill super fast, or theres a very high probability that we will have it controlled before it gets anywhere near the 1/3 mark.

If its something completely new... well, how could we even start guessing.

Zombies won't be anything like the movies. They will die from all the same causes that everybody else does. A real zombie would die from exsanguination, starvation, and cardiac arrest. Muscles need ATP to function, and blood is required to transport it. It also seems likely that any virus/bacteria/spore that is able to affect the brain so significantly would also cause severe and rapid damage. A real zombie would likely die from the affected brain even before reaching starvation... Of course theres a very small chance that the brain could be affected without causing death... But they would still die like any other human.
12-07-2013, 09:30 PM
(05-07-2013 04:18 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  The world population as of now is 7,162,979,673.

Jeez, that's a lot of flesh and bone.

What me and my father have been discussing for a long time is the imminent threat of a disease such as the black death that eventually will rise and wipe out many of the population, it's just how nature deals with overpopulation.

The black death killed about 1/3 of the world's population of humans. Before the plague human population was at about 500,000,000, after the plague the population was at around 220,000,000.

Now, think about the first number I gave you in this post, imagine if 1/3 of that were swept away, that's a huge amount of death and sorrow, and you could be apart of it.

The real questions are. Where will it start and what will it be?

Me and my father think it will originate in either China or India (highly populated and dense areas).

What will it be? Heck, I would guess that it will be similar to the bubonic plague (black death) but stronger.

Or maybe it will be ZOMBIES!!! Hobo

Am I the only one that wishes it will be zombies? Huh

Well, humans will do it the old way: WAR

Alas, war, war never changes.

Want something? Then do something.
12-07-2013, 09:35 PM
(11-07-2013 10:59 PM)WeasleyFromTheShire Wrote:  India is a good guess . It will be more isolated though, as modern medicine is sufficient to hold it back to a certain degree. I think west and southern Asia have the ideal circumstances for this to happen.

And India is one of the world's the largest medicine exporting country ...

Want something? Then do something.