The importance of being remembered

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2014, 08:42 AM
RE: The importance of being remembered
(05-05-2014 08:37 AM)living thing Wrote:  And being unable to leave orphans behind removes a lot of psychological pressure!

Oh yes, it does. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-05-2014, 08:49 AM
I don't see the point in leaving a legacy when a legacy can die just the same, just with a little longer lifespan. To me it's about the here and now; live for the moment because that's all you have.

I don't have much to offer other than that, but I'm enjoying reading through the comments.
05-05-2014, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 09:05 AM by living thing.)
(05-05-2014 07:09 AM)War Horse Wrote:  In the end , mine is a life that has had no meaning, other than to survive.... not one to be remembered and I wouldnt be that arrogant to presume as much.

Did that make any sense ?
It did and I think I can relate to that; I may be remembered by my nieces and nephews, but I'm not sure I'll be remembered by their children or anyone else. In the end, most of our lives have no meaning (in the sense of purpose). Before the end, however, your life has the meaning you give it and that is the great thing about life not being a creator's gift. You don't have it to waste it away thanking nothing for a non-action, you can experience life in whatever ways please you. And if you manage to not hurt innocent bystanders, that is even better.

If you manage to help others that is great, but helping others is not an obligation we have; it is an opportunity.

Our lives have meanings, though, if we consider that word to be synonym to implications. Our lives imply that the generations who preceded us ensured the survival of their following generations, and from that notion it is easily understandable that if we try to ensure the survival of the generations that will follow us, the likelihood of there being future generations of human beings is higher. Whether they remember us or not is irrelevant, what is important is how easy and enjoyable their lives are, and how much they can concentrate on learning for the benefit of their future generations. But I don't think piling up nuclear weapons is a way to ensure the survival of our future generations. Sometimes I think I'd rather go back to sticks and stones.

Thanks for your view, War Horse. Enjoy every moment left!

(Edit: replaced "finality" with "purpose")
05-05-2014, 09:02 AM
(05-05-2014 08:49 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I don't see the point in leaving a legacy when a legacy can die just the same, just with a little longer lifespan. To me it's about the here and now; live for the moment because that's all you have.

I don't have much to offer other than that, but I'm enjoying reading through the comments.
Well if you're enjoying the read, that is the main thing. Our lives are tiny blips in the possibly infinite course of universal history; if we don't take the time to enjoy them, we are missing our only chance.

In a way, I agree with you. When I think of the universe's infinitely distant future, I cannot help thinking of countless indivisible structures, each infinitely far away from every other; a boring universe in which nothing relevant ever happens because no thing ever encounters other thing. And if the fate of every complex structure is disappearing and being forgotten, why even make the effort to sustain them?

Well, I make the effort because I understand that I may be mistaken; maybe the universe's future is not the one I imagine and maybe future humans can learn ways to prevent such a boring finale. But even if there is no hope for eternal life, just giving the people coming after us, and those coming after them and so on, a chance to live a little more pleasurably is enough to drive my motivations.

But please do enjoy your time, whatever you do with it. I just hope that your joy is not detrimental to others, I find it sad when people get joy out of other people's miseries (although I'm not even suggesting that that is your case, it is just a related observation).

Have fun!
05-05-2014, 10:42 AM
(05-05-2014 08:49 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I don't see the point in leaving a legacy when a legacy can die just the same, just with a little longer lifespan. To me it's about the here and now; live for the moment because that's all you have.

Aren't you one of the brilliant atheists that argues that atheism is nothing more than belief in god and if the Christians would just smarten-up and listen to reason this would better world; or am I just exaggerating, just to make some conflated sarcastic point about how absurd your life really is? So what do you do for a living - keep your boyfriend happy???

Lighten-up! I promise I won't bring up the atheism is a political doctrine crap, and how atheists better grasp a hold of the idea now, or the Christians are going to define it as such for you.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
05-05-2014, 11:42 AM
(05-05-2014 10:42 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Aren't you one of the brilliant atheists that argues that atheism is nothing more than belief in god and if the Christians would just smarten-up and listen to reason this would better world; or am I just exaggerating, just to make some conflated sarcastic point about how absurd your life really is? So what do you do for a living - keep your boyfriend happy???

Lighten-up! I promise I won't bring up the atheism is a political doctrine crap, and how atheists better grasp a hold of the idea now, or the Christians are going to define it as such for you.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything in this thread, are you just going from thread to thread to post your vitriol, and try to prove you have some kind of delusional point. Fuck off troll.

And BTW, you fucked this up good, idiot.... "atheism is nothing more than belief in god" Laugh out load

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
05-05-2014, 12:34 PM
(05-05-2014 10:42 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  

Aren't you one of those brilliant [No need to be a condescending prick] atheists that argues that atheism is nothing more than a lack of belief in god and if the Christians would just smarten-up acknowledge facts and listen to reason, this would better world this would be a better world? Or am I just exaggerating? [Yes.] Just to make some conflated, sarcastic, point [My point was none of these.] about how absurd [Why are you putting words in my mouth?] your life really is? [Your logic is flawed. My view on how to make the world a better place has no long term affect within the universe because as a planet, we are irrelevant. I want to make our grandchildren have a better life, but how does this affect the universe? Worth is only a matter of perception, which you clearly do not understand.] So what do you do for a living - keep your boyfriend friends and family happy??? [You sound like you could use some friends.]
I have an education in the pharmacy field, have a job at a hospital, going to college to further education in computer field, psychology, pharmacy and theology. What are you doing with your life?

Lighten-up! I promise I won't bring up the atheism is a political doctrine crap, and how atheists better grasp a hold of the idea now, or the Christians are going to define it as such for you. [???]

Fixed your post and added a few side notes. I even color coded it, just for you.

Now, may I ask, what does any of this have to do with this thread? Do you feel the need to attack me any chance you get? This is not the first time [if I remember correctly]. To be honest, this makes you out to be quite pathetic looking to anyone reading this. For your sake, I'd advise you quit while you're "ahead". Stick with the theme and if you have a bone to pick, do so without derailing a perfectly good thread you condescending halfwit.

Apologies to the OP.
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
05-05-2014, 12:53 PM
(05-05-2014 12:34 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Now, may I ask, what does any of this have to do with this thread? Do you feel the need to attack me any chance you get? This is not the first time [if I remember correctly]. To be honest, this makes you out to be quite pathetic looking to anyone reading this. For your sake, I'd advise you quit while you're "ahead". Stick with the theme and if you have a bone to pick, do so without derailing a perfectly good thread you condescending halfwit.

Apologies to the OP.
Somebody has to lead the defeat against the Christians, are you resigned to accept that the leaders of the movement are doing the best that can be done?

As for what I do; I'm a two-time community college drop out, welfare recipient, social contract designer. I'm writing up the ultimate social contract that is going to guide the world for the era, if not for ever - you expect an atheist will be responsible for such an instrument, don't you???

No ??? just can not be me, because i'm so mean to atheists??? No

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
05-05-2014, 12:59 PM
(05-05-2014 12:53 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 12:34 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Now, may I ask, what does any of this have to do with this thread? Do you feel the need to attack me any chance you get? This is not the first time [if I remember correctly]. To be honest, this makes you out to be quite pathetic looking to anyone reading this. For your sake, I'd advise you quit while you're "ahead". Stick with the theme and if you have a bone to pick, do so without derailing a perfectly good thread you condescending halfwit.

Apologies to the OP.
Somebody has to lead the defeat against the Christians, are you resigned to accept that the leaders of the movement are doing the best that can be done?

As for what I do; I'm a two-time community college drop out, welfare recipient, social contract designer. I'm writing up the ultimate social contract that is going to guide the world for the era, if not for ever - you expect an atheist will be responsible for such an instrument, don't you???

No ??? just can not be me, because i'm so mean to atheists??? No

[Image: UVMV7ZB.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
05-05-2014, 01:24 PM
(05-05-2014 12:34 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Apologies to the OP.
None needed, every clarification is welcome and even though I may suggest topics for conversations, I can certainly not constrain what conversations are about. Even if I could, I wouldn't because other people may find those conversational twists interesting; whether I like them or not is irrelevant.

I can skip the messages I find uninteresting and that is the behaviour I would recommend for others. Engaging in pointless arguments is less recommended because skipping entire pages of boring personal attacks is more tedious, but the good thing about the internet is that we can all contribute to the information contained in it; I don't think it would be wise trying to limit that ability.

So please carry on if you feel you need to; I appreciate your apologies but they weren't necessary.

Have fun!
[+] 1 user Likes living thing's post