The impossible question about evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2014, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2014 04:59 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: The impossible question about evolution?
(21-12-2013 07:03 PM)slimlover360 Wrote:  However I've never understood the underlying reason for evolution, or even the underlying reason for life itself to exist.

The question has been answered.

It's chemistry, bitches.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-08-2014, 08:24 AM
The purpose for the universe is to produce life. The purpose of life is to give the universe purpose.... Naw. That's bullshit.
The real answer is "shit happens."
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
16-08-2014, 01:28 AM
(21-12-2013 07:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-12-2013 07:03 PM)slimlover360 Wrote:  Hi everyone,
For many years I've thought about the question of evolution. I can understand that it does happen, and I can understand the mechanics of allowing the fittest of every generation to procreate.

However I've never understood the underlying reason for evolution, or even the underlying reason for life itself to exist. I suppose it's the age-old question of what is the meaning of life, albeit from a scientifically-minded curiosity. Why did life start, and why did evolution bring us to today -- where we can look up at the stars and dream about reaching them, where our brains can study other brains to try and understand how they work, or where the subatomic particles in our body can work together to try and understand what subatomic particles are.

I see myself as an atheist, but over the years this question has caused a growing feeling that there might be more to it than that. Certainly not religion in any form humans have imagined, but what secret is there about the universe that ultimately brought about the existence of human beings? What made the universe bring about the spark of life to begin with, and what made the universe seem to favor evolution to the point where we can consciously observe that universe and try to understand it.

I think there has to be a reason, albeit shrouded in mystery from us. In my opinion the pursuit of that reason would be a fruitful endeavour for atheists to explore, because theists certainly wouldn't -- their view of the meaning of life seems to be about pleasing God in some fashion, making it a moot point. At the same time it's a question everyone can relate to in some way, since almost everyone has or have had the urge to pair up with a wife or husband to raise a child -- we can all think of a lot of reasons why we do that, but the basic question of "why" seems to elude us.

I wouldn't dare to begin speculate about the underlying reason, but sometimes I like thinking about the basic urge of organisms to spread to new areas and consume new resources to create more offspring and the way us humans are on the verge of taking a major new step in "spreading our genes" to other worlds in the solar system. Isn't that the ultimate victory of evolution, to escape the bonds of the origin world? And as we continue to spread out, perhaps the veil of mystery behind life will be lifted one step at a time.

Looking forward to hearing your own thoughts and theories on this subject Smile

What do you mean by 'a reason'? Whose reason would that be?

There is no evidence of any reason. There may well be none.

Look into the abyss and make peace with it. Drinking Beverage

Reason doesn't exist? Gasp

Truth seeker.
16-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Evolution is the description we have for the diversity and interrelatedness of life as we know it. You seem to be asking questions of it that aren't within its scope to address, and the questions you are asking themselves seem ill-defined. What kind of answer would satisfy your questions?

Edit: Oh, this is a necro.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.